The PFS Engineer I is a hybrid Controls/IT position in which the Engineer designs, integrates and tests systems in JR Automation’s (Esys's) facility and then integrates in a client’s manufacturing environment and IT Systems.
The PFS Engineer works with Plant Floor Systems Project Leads as well as the Senior Controls Project Engineers to understand requirements for both Greenfield and Brownfield projects and implements appropriate engineering designs.
This position is responsible for assisting with performing field checks, hardware, software and network designs utilizing customer supplied templates, configuring and commissioning communications and validating system functionality. Typical technologies include Ethernet, Ethernet IP, PLCs (programmable logic controller), HMI (human-machine interface) software and PCs
- Acquires limited knowledge and develops basic skills
- Applies prescribed techniques and procedures in accordance with established criteria to perform assigned tasks
- Performs routine technical work which does not require previous experience
- Acquires an understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities
- Assists with developing and designing controls hardware, network and communications drawings
- Assists with developing and designing the controls software packages utilizing Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), and/or Human/Machine Interfaces (HMI) as well as customer developed Plant Floor System configurations
- Assists with ensuring the functionality of the equipment meets specifications
- Assists with ensuring the equipment being started up and commissioned operates in accordance with the customer requirements as outlined in the approved specification
- Assists with programming controls equipment and integrates systems per the customer specifications and with emphasis on both consuming and producing data
- Assists with checking design and details for proper functionality of both his/her work and the work of other engineers
- Assists with providing timely, required service documentation relating to all functions performed
- Assists with providing technical support and training to the end-user at the customer facility
- Ensures that JR (Esys) products and services continue to be the benchmark within the industry
- Demonstrates a commitment to JR (Esys) Core Beliefs
- Demonstrates a commitment to safe work practices while on JR (Esys) or the customer’s premises
- Influences peers through team interactions
- Contributes to success of group projects
- Other duties as assigned
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possesses basic oral and written communication skills
- Interacts with staff and contractors
- Has a primarily experience based-understanding of control systems and their operation.
- Knowledge of MES Systems including Error Proofing, Quality Andon, Material Pull and Maintenance Alarming.
- Primary understanding of electrical circuits, PLC's (Programmable Logic Controller), HMI's (Human Machine Interface) device communication networks (DNET, ENET)
- Ability to successfully work cross-organizationally
- Ability to demonstrate strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Competent with Microsoft Office programs, as well as Google Applications (such as Gmail, Calendar and Docs)
- Understanding of IT Infrastructure and Servers
- Ability to work onsite within the JR (Esys) offices or at customer locations as required
- Ability to meet deadlines without endangering the safety of himself/herself or others, or the integrity of the equipment
- Ability to interact professionally with customers, and maintain a positive working relationship, which at times may be under difficult circumstances and/or high-pressure situations
- Ability to work well in both independent and team settings
Education and Experience:
- 2+ years Related experience Automotive industry (not a minimum requirement)
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field (not a minimum requirement)
- Associates degree (2-year) with experience from accredited program (ABET/EAC) (not a minimum requirement)
- High School Diploma
- Preferred experience with electrical systems or shop experience
- Preferred basic knowledge and experience with Ethernet IP, Ethernet and Device Net Networks
- Preferred experience with reading electrical prints, panel build and troubleshooting
- Works under immediate supervision
- Not expected to exercise significant independent judgement
- Will operate in both a professional office environment and a manufacturing environment
- Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, scanners, plotters, printers and fax machines
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- Will be expected to work on a manufacturing shop floor either at JR (Esys) or a customer facility:
- May involve exposure to hazards
- Work surfaces may be slippery, unstable or uneven
- Shop temperatures may not always be controlled and could vary from hot to cold
- May work in areas where ear, eye, and/or foot protection is required
- Employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs, balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 50 pound
- Specific vision abilities require the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Travel by car and/or plane to company facilities or to customer or advisor locations is required
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
- The PFS Engineer I is a full-time position
- Days and hours of work may vary based on the project assigned, with a minimum of eight-hour shifts each day, and a minimum of five workdays per week
- Evening and overnight work may also be required
- The position may require extended hours during the workday as well as weekend work
- Travel to customers is required and includes extended travel depending on project and resource requirements
- Travel to other JR (Esys) locations may also be required
- This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
At JR Automation, A Hitachi Group Company, our talented teams leverage the latest technologies, innovative thinking, and decades of experience to provide our global customers with world-class automation equipment. We transform processes & optimize operations with the solutions we design, build, program & deploy for nearly every industry. Our people are the heart of our operations, and we believe unique skills and capabilities enable us to grow, collaborate and evolve.
Join our team of 2,200+ at one of the 27 facilities around the globe. We offer competitive pay, great benefits, apprenticeship programs, tuition reimbursement and training opportunities to develop your skills.
Come Think. Solve. Create. With Us!