We are recruiting an Engineering Lab Admin to work as part of the software development team in Hitachi Vantara Engineering, who are responsible for designing, developing and testing the Hitachi NAS Platform product (https://www.hitachivantara.com/en-us/products/storage/network-attached-storage-platform.html
In this role you will provide onsite support to local and remote engineers with equipment configuration, operation, and management to aid them in delivering Test and Development work. You will also work with the IT and Devops team to keep vital infrastructure operational and to assist in development and support of the tools used by the Engineering teams.
You will also have responsibility for maintaining the labs, ensuring equipment is tracked, properly maintained and, where possible, used effectively and efficiently to avoid resource wastage. Alongside these tasks, you will also support the team with handling of requisitions for new and loaned equipment, seeing the process through from start to end.
A successful candidate is likely to match with a selection of the skills listed below and be able to demonstrate an understanding of technologies such as networking, scripting and coding, and have experience of equipment within a lab environment, and the use/administration of Linux and Windows operating systems.
It is expected that this role will see you interacting with many of the teams and undertaking tasks from administrative and organisational, through hands-on engineering assistance, to the development of code for tools and processes, so you will need to be able to work with a range of different tasks and priorities.
Strong verbal and written communication skills are important, as is a self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic.
It is an office-based role
in which you will provide onsite support to local and remote engineers with equipment configuration.
The role is suited to candidates with some - but not extensive - experience
in the areas listed below.
Some of the work is
physical, involving installing heavy equipment, sometimes at height or in spaces that are difficult to reach, and requires manual dexterity.Responsibilities
Qualifications & Skills
- Work alongside remote engineering teams configuring, operating, and manipulating equipment to assist with test and development activities
- Work with IT to help ensure the smooth and secure running of Engineering's IT infrastructure and development environment
- Co-ordinate equipment order and loan process
- Physical installation and configuring of rack-mounted IT equipment using the tools provided (manual-handling training provided)
- Track and monitor the equipment in the lab and make sure it is up to date and being used effectively
- Drive improvements to the operation of the lab and be the contact for lab issues
- Develop and maintain scripts and tools to support various areas within Engineering
- Hands-on experience/confident with Linux operating system and CLI
- Practical experience with LANs, TCP/IP networking, and client/server environments
- Ability to work in a team and interact enthusiastically with others
- Self-starter, love of learning, inquisitive mind, openness to new ideas
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to follow and question directions
- Strong verbal and written communication skills exercised on a regular basis
- Driven, self-motivated, with a strong work ethic; an individual who has a passion for problem solving and improving engineering deliverables.
- Understanding or experience with storage systems (NAS)
- Hands-on experience/confident with Windows operating system
- Knowledge and practical experience of in scripting languages such as shell (e.g. bash), Python or Ruby
- Experience of administration of order management or other similar systems
- A formal qualification (not necessarily degree-level) in Computing/IT
We strive to create an inclusive environment for all and are open to considering home working, compressed/flexible hours and flexible arrangements. Get in touch with us to explore how we might be able to accommodate your specific needs.
We are proud to say we are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all applicants for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. With Japanese roots going back over 100 years, our culture is founded on the values of our parent company expressed as the Hitachi Spirit:
Wa - Harmony, Trust, Respect
Makoto - Sincerity, Fairness, Honesty, Integrity
Kaitakusha-Seishin - Pioneering Spirit, Challenge