Hitachi Rail is looking for an enthusiastic self-motivated HSE Manager who thrives in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate is comfortable performing a wide range of tasks from administrative to strategic. The position is based in Thessaloniki, Greece.
Who We Are
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signaling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 14,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions.
Mission: General Environmental and Employee Health & Safety work encompasses activities related to the environment (including the broader community impacted by environmental hazards) and employees including: Developing and implementing policies and practices to identify/mitigate hazardous conditions within the workplace and external environments Investigating accidents and environmental incidents and liaising with engineers, management, and health and safety regulatory authorities to identify causes of accidents and prevent their recurrence Providing advice and training on safety protocols and conducting audits to ensure compliance with organization and government standards related to environmental and employee health and safety Maintaining relationships with the community, environmental groups, and other stakeholders impacted by the environmental performance of the organization
- Cover the role of HS Technician set out in the Greek Law (L. 1568/85, Articles 4, 5, 6, 7, and 11, PD 225/89, Article 10 and L.3850/2010, Article 14).
- Cover the role of Safety Coordinator for Hitachi Rail;
- Provide notes and suggestions, oral or written, on matters of occupational health and safety as well as of prevention from working accidents. The written recommendations are logged in a Safety Engineer’s Recommendation Book owned by the company (located in its offices) and each page is counted and validated by Safety Executive department of Ministry of Labor. These recommendations should be signed by the Employer;
- Lead the project team to create a Safety Culture on the project promoting the HSE Policy of Hitachi Rail and Client as required;
- Act as contact focal point for all HSE matter having meeting with the Hitachi Rail project team, Client, Sub-Contractors and Authorities and provide leadership on HSE matters on the work site;
- Mentor and advice the Branch Manager (Legal Representative), Project manager, Construction Manager, Commissioning Manager and all Hitachi Rail Staff and Sub-Contractor about OHSE requirement in order to guarantee OHSE technical and regulatory compliance and prevention of accident at work;
- Identify Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Legal and Customer Requirements and supervise the correct implementation of Hitachi Rail activities (includes supplier and subcontractors) in compliance with HSE Policies, Legal requirements and Hitachi Rail Management System (GBMS);
- Periodically inspect the work premises (offices and sites) in order to verify work condition and implementation of health and safety and environmental measures on site (PPEs, working procedures etc). Inspection has to be documented as per requirements by Hitachi Rail and reported to chain of Management as required (Legal Representative, HSE Manager, Construction Manager and Commissioning Manager).
- Measures against the HSE deficiencies identified has to be proposed, agreed with relevant stakeholders and followed up till final resolution.
- Stop the work operations, and intervene where there is imminent risk of an HSE impact or environmental impact occurs.
- Prepare, maintain and implement all documents and procedures needed for the Project, in accordance to Local Legislation (eg. SERB - Safety Engineer Recommendation Book) HSE Client Requirement and to the Hitachi Rail Management System (Site Health and Safety Plan, Environmental Management Plan, etc);
- Implement all HSE related processes under his area of responsibility within the Hitachi Rail Integrated Management System (IMS), Legal and Customer Requirements as applicable;
- Ensure the Legal Compliance for all HSE process under the contract, keep records as required by applicable Greek regulation;
- Execute the HSE coordination activities and report the results (Minutes of Meeting) between Hitachi Rail, Sub-contractors, Customer and other interested parties during the execution of the works;
- Participate to the ongoing HSE hazard identification, risk assessment, determination and implementation of necessary control measure and to the identification and management of Local potential emergency situation for the Project;
- Ensure that method statements and hazard analysis are prepared in advance for every construction/commissioning/S&M activity, communicated to the work crew and audited for compliance and implementation;
- Identify areas of improvement of Environmental performance by the implementation of HSE Objectives and Targets, recommend and monitor the HSE objectives and improvement targets and provide periodic feedback to the Hitachi Corporate HSE Department and to the Engineer as required.
- Implement the HSE Improvement Plan for the achieving of the planned HSE Objectives and Target of the project, supervise the performance and implement corrective solutions in case of negative trends;
- Ensure the HSE KPI monitoring and implement reports in relation to the Client, Hitachi Rail and Local Authorities Requirements;
- Implements Audit and Legal Compliance Audit and reporting results to HSE Corporate Office and Project Manager;
- Attend and document HSE Meetings with Client, Hitachi Rail Project team and authorities regarding his area of responsibility;
- Identify the HSE competencies and training needs for the workers (induction course to the workforce, induction to the visitors, periodic training to the team about Critical Risks and Key Risks evolution etc);
- Implement HSE induction and training to the employees, sub-contractors and visitors as required;
- Implement HSE reports with the project status progress of the activities (incidents, near misses, control sub-contractors, KPI etc.) to be submitted to Hitachi Rail Corporate HSE office and Client;
- Review and approve subcontractor safety programs, Risk Assessment, Method Statement as well as any HSE documents required;
- Ensure that all visitors, vendors, and subcontractor (all tiers) personnel comply with HSE requirements;
- Ensure that all accidents, incidents and dangerous occurrences are reported and investigated thoroughly and where necessary managed according or internally escalated as required;
- Gather and analyze safety data and analyze injury and illness trends over time so that opportunities for prevention can be identified;
- Plan and support the implementation of Emergency drills (evacuation, fire, first aid etc) according Emergency Plan in place;
- Prepare the proper documentation for Hitachi Corporate reporting and Management review.
Required Skills/ Knowledge
- Engineering Degree in Mechanical/Electrical (according Law 3850/2010 Art 13);
- Qualification and Certification as required by Local Greek Regulation as per Greek Law (L. 1568/85, Articles 4, 5, 6, 7, and 11, PD 225/89, Article 10 and L.3850/2010, Article 14); Minimum 10 Years of Experience as HSE Technician to be demonstrated by SEPE documentation; Experienced in 14001 (Environmental Audit) and 45001 (H&S Audit);
- Greek mother tongue;
- Fluently speaking and writing in English languages;
- Excellent IT (Word, Outlook, Excel), analytical and problem solving and communication skills;
- Excellent organizational, management and coordination skills;
- Ability to manage a varied workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Education / Qualifications
U Technical Degree or Equivalent Technical Background
Hitachi Rail employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including Competitive Pay, Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability, Life & Accident Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Savings Plan, and Paid Vacation. We also offer a number of Work/Life Programs such as Flextime and a variety of Training and Development opportunities.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Join us at www.Hitachi Rail-sts.com/en/careers.
It is our commitment at Hitachi Rail to create a diverse environment and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We would be delighted if you would be one of our followers!
Have a glance at our LinkedIn page https://www.linkedin.com/company/hitachirail