Hitachi Rail is looking for an enthusiastic self-motivated Transit System Maintenance Manager who thrives in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate is comfortable performing a wide range of tasks from administrative to strategic. The position is based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Who We Are
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signaling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 14,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions.
The MM is responsible and accountable for tactically adopting, applying, and advocating Hitachi’s (and FLOW’s) Vision and Mission in the Maintenance Department. The MM shall work in a collaborative, coordinated manner with our internal and external stakeholders with a target to achieve Maintenance Readiness upon completion of the Development Period. The MM shall directly support and provide timely feedback to the TSM Director in all matters relating to the Transit system and the O&M staff, applying our Values towards our staff across the integrated O&M organization enabling the achievement of our business objectives and performance targets throughout the Commercial Services Period whilst upholding safety at all times. The duties include:
- Lead recruitment and mobilization initiatives to ensure full complement in all maintenance teams
- Work collaboratively with the Training Manager and Flow training department to ensure timely delivery of training to all maintenance staff as per the training matrix for each role.
- Proactively plan to ensure all staff within the maintenance department attain the certificate of competency prior to commencement of commercial service (COCS)
- Supporting D&B in Testing & Commissioning (T&C) activities
- Support the D&B in development of Caretaker Maintenance regimes and lead the planning scheduling and execution of activities under D&B responsibility during the development period.
- Lead the maintenance department in supporting Engineering Department in the production and delivery of all O&M documentation including Maintenance procedures, Work instructions and method statements
- Coordinate with the D&B team to facilitate knowledge transfer activities from D&B to O&M including shadowing and witnessing of T&C activities
- Develop and review the maintenance plans for all disciplines supporting Engineering Team in MPT development for uploading into CMMS
- Coordinate with the Procurement and Supply Chain and Logistics departments to ensure all procurement activities including Service Level Agreements (SLA) are developed, completed and secured prior to COCS, supporting the process with the development of associated purchased technical specifications (PTS)
- Ensure full participation of all discipline managers in Hazard Review workshops, critically reviewing all hazards transferred to maintenance department, ensuring full mitigation within maintenance procedures and work instructions.
- Support the TSM Director and senior management team on technical and engineering related issues in collaboration with the Engineering Manager
- Support the Engineering Manager in assessing Obsolescence impact on future maintenance activities and Life Cycle Costs of TSM assets.
- Deliver Team Briefs and monitor adherence to any relevant legislation, regulations and directives from relevant authorities in relation to maintenance and safe operation (technical perspective) of TSM Line 3 assets.
- Review and advise on plans for major re-engineering, replacement or refurbishment programs re critical system components and sub-systems
- Identify likely cause and solution to significant technical failures particularly those that by their nature have the potential to disrupt service or generate a safety risk;
- Identify major overhaul and inspections to be performed by the Maintenance Contractor in accordance with the operating requirements
- Ensure the Capital Asset Replacement Plan is created and make recommendations on initiatives and solutions to improve asset performance.
Health, Safety & Environment
- Manage adherence to the: Health & Safety Policy; Rail Safety Management Plan; Health Safety Environment Plan; Security Plan; and Risk Management Plan
- Manage Health & Safety being embedded into all work practices in line with established policies, systems, plans, procedures, and work instructions during normal, degraded and emergency modes of operation, and contribute towards their on-going evolution based on operational experience
- Manage statutory and regulatory requirements, and conduct risk reviews within the Department and with other departments
- Manage to a high standard of sustainable practice and environmental protection
- Manage departmental teams to apply formal and informal measures towards identifying project risks, management plans, mitigation measures, and effective, timely communication protocols so that risk is As-Low-As-Reasonably-Practicable
- Lead weekly interface meetings with Hitachi Rail Sub-contractors
- Lead TSM in interface meetings with the Operations Manager, OCC Manager and ensure TSM representation in sub-meeting with Operations department
- Represent TSM L3 on all matters related to departmental responsibilities according to the Interface & Stakeholder Management Plan
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with all relevant Stakeholders to secure the necessary support for efficient operation of Line 3 of Riyadh Metro.
- Attend or ensure representation of the maintenance department in stakeholder meetings ensuring the TSM organisation’s interests are fully represented to successfully launch Commercial Services
Trial Run Readiness
- Under the leadership of the Maintenance Readiness Director, interface proactively with the Employer’s Representative and the D&B Contractors with respect to planning, participation, and witnessing of Testing & Commissioning activity, and participation in Trial Running activity to achieve successful demonstration of Operational Readiness and achievement of the Operational Safety Case
- Manage the interface with the D&B and their suppliers during both the Development Period and the Commercial Services Period.
- Manage team adherence to the organizational policies and plans and procedures and actively contribute towards the formal Leadership Team forum, and the supporting periodic and immediate meetings, reviews, reports, and action plans
- Work collaboratively with the PMO and the Operational Readiness team to utilize project management tools that provide appropriate processes for the O&M team to plan, monitor, and control maintenance readiness activities to ensure the successful launch of Riyadh Metro Line 3 into operational service.
- Manage coordination and cooperation with the wider FLOW team
- Develop and maintain strong relationships between TSM and Operations teams to ensure aligned interests, collaborative working, and the efficient, sustainable execution of the O&M contract
- Manage and motivate the people within the Department to achieve operational excellence
- Manage the departmental team through collaboration with the Human Resources Leads to identify, recruit, mobilize, train, develop, motivate, and manage talented people
- Manage adherence to the Competency Management System and the associated plans to ensure competent people are available from within the organization, and from external service providers, to effectively achieve the Contract requirements
- Manage adherence to the Saudization Plan
- Ensure that all people in the Department team receive meaningful inductions, performance reviews, and development plans that support the individuals and the organization in good succession planning
- Reward the team and recognize people for delivering service excellence
Quality & Performance
- Liaise with the Quality manager to ensure adherence to the Quality Policy
- Support the TSM Director by managing the departmental leads to achieve the O&M Contract performance requirements, and contribute towards periodic and weekly meetings, reviews, reports, and action plans, and ensure that correspondence records are maintained
- Manage onsite activity during normal, degraded, and emergency modes of operation, communicating vital information to senior management and public relations colleagues as and when required.
- Escalate where required, or approve and implement actions as appropriate, resulting from reviews and investigations.
- Manage the Departmental teams in the application of procedures and work instructions to successfully achieve all deliverables, and provide the TSM DIRECTOR with timely feedback upon identifying opportunities for improvement
- Apply management systems to plan, manage and oversee Transit System Maintenance resources (including subcontractor service providers) to provide a safe, reliable, efficient, world-class and customer focused Metro service
- Ensure high quality, timely management reviews and reports are completed in support of the TSM DIRECTOR as required by operational needs, and act upon the recommendations appropriately
- Finance & Commercial
- Advise the TSM Director and contribute towards strategy for Contract delivery, including contributing to the Contract Variation Committee where required
- Manage interface with departmental suppliers and service providers
- Support the TSM Director in contributing towards Departmental planning and delivery against the Annual Plans, budgets and forecasts
- Manage the strategic planning, development, and implementation of an effective Asset Management System that optimizes the asset lifecycle of the Railway while minimizing maintenance costs and maximizing the reliability, availability and safety
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of health, safety, quality (ISO 9001) and environmental issues (ISO14001), related to railway operations and maintenance
- Full understanding of Maintenance classification levels 1-4 (EN 13306)
- A strong working knowledge of the ISO 55000 Asset Management suite of standards
- Full understanding of RAMS and its application (EN50126)
- Thorough engineering understanding of transit systems which include:
CBTC signaling systems (GoA4 ), SCADA and communication systems, Central (OCC ) systems, Guideway and Third Rail system, Power Supply Systems including TPS, LPS and Auxiliary Supply Systems, Platform Screen Doors (PSD), Depot Equipment Systems.
- Experience in managing warehousing and logistics to facilitate timely delivery of PM plan and response to CM requests
- Experience in maintenance planning, scheduling, and work management, inventory management, recording and reporting using Maximo CMMS or equivalent.
- Experience in FRACAS, RCA and performance management (KPIs),
- Experience in resource planning and management including rostering;
- Experience in SSOW including permit to work and LOTO procedures
- A natural consultancy style which constructively challenges the business and builds relationships at all levels of the organization
- A thorough knowledge of business organizations at operational levels
- Ability to effectively promote and enforce a “no blame” safety culture within the maintenance organization, fostering a spirit of continuous improvement.
- Excellent people leadership skills. Must be skilled in communicating, cross cultural management, organizational culture development and motivation of staff
- Effective communicator with Client representatives senior management, contractors and staff
- Highly motivated and flexibility to work in a time-sensitive environment to respond quickly and effectively to unanticipated high workloads, events and emergencies
- Excellent analytical reasoning ability and capable of making decisions on complex matters
- Ability to see problems as opportunities and to manage well under pressure
- Capacity to contribute to tactical business management issues
- Ability to influence senior management, establish and maintain collaborative partnerships.
- Skilled influencer with excellent negotiation skills
- Ability to forecast and prepare team budget plans and manage the implementation of spend against agreed objectives
- Ability to manage a defined budget, ensuring cost efficiency and value for money.
- Exposure to and appreciation of financial management fundamentals
- Able to demonstrate the competence in the productive use of resources to achieve end-result within stiff constraints
- Ability to successfully contribute towards development of an Asset Management System in compliance with ISO 55001, championing and managing adherence to the AMS, while identifying and pursuing initiatives and solutions to improve asset performance
- Ability to successfully contribute towards development and review of Permit to Work, Railway Protection, Change Management and other key procedures, and manage adherence to these procedures
- Ability to successfully contribute Transit System Maintenance expertise in own area of responsibility, and in interface with other O&M departments
- Ability to successfully contribute towards the successful Trial Run of the Railway, and its successful and timely launch into commercial services
- Excellent financial, commercial, business development and HR acumen to support the improvement of business performance
- Minimum of 8 years’ proven track record of maintenance management in the rail industry ( metro experience is preferable)
- Experience in launching a Metro system into operational service
- Proven track record in the maintenance management, planning and delivery
- Demonstrated ability in managing and developing multi-cultural teams
- Experience of managing complex, safety orientated teams
- Strong appreciation of health and safety legislation and contract requirements relating to railway operations
- Proven ability to set, monitor and achieve dynamic safety objectives
- Experience in Rail Safety management
- Minimum Diploma or desirable Bachelors’ Degree in Electrical, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
Hitachi Rail employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including Competitive Pay, Medical Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability, Life & Accident Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Savings Plan, and Paid Vacation. We also offer a number of Work/Life Programs such as Flextime and a variety of Training and Development opportunities.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Join us at www.Hitachi Rail-sts.com/en/careers.
It is our commitment at Hitachi Rail to create a diverse environment and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We would be delighted if you would be one of our followers!
Have a glance at our LinkedIn page https://www.linkedin.com/company/hitachirailsts/