Summary of the position:
The Safety Manager works with site Management to oversee the execution of the Health and Safety programs, to include policies, procedures, processes, and controls for all North American Facilities. Ensures site performance conforms to established standards and complies with applicable Hitachi, Federal, State, and Governmental agency guidelines, and requirements.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Manages, implements and maintains required Safety operational processes to ensure company and employee awareness, comprehension and adherence to Sullair safety practices.
- Keeps abreast of pending safety regulatory changes and advises leadership; accordingly, including action plans and recommendations to maintain compliance.
- Partner with Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Quality, Engineering/R&D and Sullair domestic sites to ensure integration of safety requirements in the location’s overall business processes. Some traveling required for Sullair America domestic sites.
- Assist in the integration and divestiture of facilities or machinery.
- Create, maintain, and organize relevant EHS logs, reports and documentation including OSHA Form 300.
- Establish, maintain, and communicate program metrics related to injuries and incidents, ensuring expedient injury and incident trend, incident analysis and reporting to Leadership, including recommendations to address identified issues.
- Respond to governmental agency requests for information on present and past safety activities.
- Conducts, oversees, Safety inspections/audits of operations, general risk assessments and other safety assessments, to ensure compliance to performance requirements and applicable Safety laws, regulations, and standards, tracking corrective actions to closure.
- Develop, coordinate, and provide Safety training, contractor EHS training and various presentations on Safety topics to employees, visitors and contractors including training for incident management and emergency response teams.
- Direct investigation of Safety incidents and violations through root cause analysis, including developing and implementing corrective and preventive measures. Modifies applicable SOP’s and processes as required.
- Oversee and maintain certification in OSHA’s Voluntary Protection program including inspections/audits of operations, general safety assessments, to ensure compliance to applicable laws, regulations, and standards.
- Maintain personal training to ensure that knowledge and certifications are current.
- Perform other qualified duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills
- Advanced knowledge of Federal OSHA regulations and requirements, particularly as they relate to occupational and industrial safety and health practices.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Extensive experience in project planning and management skills.
- Proven leadership ability. Ability to get results through influence, negotiation, and teamwork.
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Health, Safety, or other associated discipline with at least 7 years’ manufacturing related work experience in health and safety - required.
- A Master's degree in Safety or Occupational Health with at least 2 years related work experience in health and safety a plus.
- ISO 14001 auditor certification a plus.
- Certified Safety Professional or Certified Industrial Hygienist designation preferred.
- Minimum seven (7) years of directly relevant safety experience work in a manufacturing facility required.
- Minimum two (2) years management experience.
- Able to work with confidential information while maintaining confidentiality.
- Excellent verbal as well as written communication skills.
- Computer skills and knowledge; proficient in Word and Excel and Power Point.
- Detail oriented, excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Self-starter, motivated individual.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
The successful candidate is responsible for complying with Sullair’s Code of Ethics and related policies. In performing the job, the incumbent shall take all steps necessary to comply with our safety rules and requirements and must actively support the organization's efforts to meet and exceed its goals of creating and maintaining a safe workplace.
This description is to serve as a guide. It is intended to be flexible and will continue to evolve over time with business needs and demands and may be updated periodically and at the Company's discretion.
Sullair is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or other protected categories under applicable law, whether in recruitment, employment, promotion, transfer, compensation, or other conditions of employment.