We are recruiting a Senior Software QA Engineer to work as part of the NAS Engineering team in Hitachi Vantara.
An ideal candidate will understand the entire process of creating valuable software and be involved with the complete development-test cycle. This involves being an integral part of a team that produces automated functional and unit tests alongside emerging software, so that rigorous testing provides immediate feedback to developers. Duties are expected to include automated test development work in conjunction with hands-on adhoc, manual and exploratory testing.
The engineer must understand and drive improvements to the infrastructure required for test automation, helping us move towards shorter integration and deployment cycles.
The engineer will work in an agile scrum team, understanding the deliverables and pro-actively taking part in the team's self-organization to ensure sprint goals are met. With little need for specific instruction - but interacting with team developers and senior external personnel - the engineer will play a key role in shaping the design, testing and integration of prioritised work. This will involve tackling problems of diverse scope, designing and implementing testing to ensure the quality of the product. Good judgement in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions is essential.
A successful candidate must have a proven and recent (within last 4 years) record of accomplishments in automated test development.
• Design and implement automated tests in collaboration with other engineers
• Create and execute adhoc, manual and exploratory tests to ensure the quality of the product
• Support and maintain automated testing infrastructure, suggesting and driving improvements where possible
• Test (and occasionally develop) software across the stack (embedded C++, APIs, management applications and user interfaces).
• Maintain existing tests, and eventually be involved in diagnosing and resolving escalated problems.
• Work as a part of an agile scrum team to deliver team commitments and achieve continual improvements.
• Produce and maintain high quality documentation
• Significant experience programming in Python, or a similar language
• Experience with (or strong knowledge of) automation infrastructure e.g. Jenkins, Salt, Docker, etc.
• Tools experience:
o Test / defect management systems e.g. JIRA, HP ALM/Quality Center
o Version control - e.g. Git, Mercurial
• 4+ years of experience or expertise in a selection of the following:
o NAS and Storage systems
o Unix/Windows client/server environments (including NFS and SMB protocols)
o Software-Defined and 'as-a-service' technologies
• Experience in C++ and/or Java is beneficial
• Ability to work in a team and interact enthusiastically with others
• Aptitude - self-starter, love of learning, inquisitive mind, openness to new ideas
• Excellent attention to detail, and adaptability to change
• Strong verbal and written communication skills exercised on a regular basis
• Driven, self-motivated, with a strong work ethic; an individual who has a passion for problem solving and improving engineering deliverables. Our Values
Research tells us that some applicants, especially those from underrepresented groups, can be put off from applying for roles if they need flexibility or feel they don't meet all of the set criteria. We strive to create an inclusive environment for all and are open to considering home working, compressed/flexible hours and part-time arrangements. Get in touch with us to explore how we might be able to accommodate your specific needs.
We are proud to say we are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all applicants for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. With Japanese roots going back over 100 years, our culture is founded on the values of our parent company expressed as the Hitachi Spirit:
Wa - Harmony, Trust, Respect
Makoto - Sincerity, Fairness, Honesty, Integrity
Kaitakusha-Seishin - Pioneering Spirit, Challenge