HITACHI RAIL is looking for an enthusiastic self-motivated Deputy Health and Safety Director who thrives in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate is comfortable performing a wide range of tasks from administrative to strategic. The position is based in Toronto, ON.
Who We Are
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signaling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions.
- Support the H&S Director for the project in the completion of their duties as assigned to include but not limited to:
- Implement, maintain, and continually improve an ISO 45001 H&S Management System for the project
- Ensure relevant GBMS needs are identified, implemented and that the compliance is maintained within GBMS,
- Identify and establish worldwide H&S best practices, policies and procedures within GBMS;
- Promote the H&S Awareness establishing policies and strategies according to company strategies and requirements;
- Support the ongoing HSE hazard identification, risk assessment, determination and implementation of necessary control measure in the project;
- Identify legislative and other requirements through the keeping of a Legal and Other Requirements Register, working with the project team to maintain compliance and
- Establish a project Legal and Other Requirements Inspection, H&S Inspection, and an Internal Auditing Program
- Lead to the identification of areas for improvement of HSE performance in the project according to ISO 45001 and GBMS expectations turning those areas for improvement into actionable objectives and targets Support the engagement of resources in H&S, defining roles, responsibilities and accountabilities in the Major Entity.
- Monitor HSE performance and generate an annual HSE Review in accordance with ISO 45001 and GBMS Procedures;
- Oversee the collection of HSE metrics and benchmarking data;
- Support engagement of the project team through H&S Communication, Participation and Consultation;
- Schedule and coordinate annual management review meetings for the project
- Support the development of and completion of Corrective Action Plans and Continual Improvement Plans for nonconformities and opportunities for improvement identified.
- Engage cross functionally for the betterment of the project and project employees as a whole with regard to Health and Safety
- Support day to day H&S Operations as assigned.
- From 7-10 Years of H&S experience
- Experience leading large, industrial, turnkey projects
- Communication, Presentation and raining Development and Delivery Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM Field or an Associates in Occupational Safety and Health
- Experience managing a staff of dynamic H&S Professionals
- Demonstrated experience crafting a vision for internal and external H&S stakeholders and executing actions in support of that vision
- Experience integrating into project teams and engaging stakeholders from across all disciplines in the H&S Program
- Experience with estimating, budgeting, and planning
- Comprehensive knowledge of Canada’s legal framework for H&S including the Occupational Health & Safety Act & Regulations, Regulations for Construction Projects, Canadian Criminal Code provisions for safety, Workplace Safety & Insurance Act, First-Aid Regulations, etc.
- Experience implementing programs and policies within 45001 Certified Organizations
- Experience developing and implementing site safety programs
- Demonstrated ability to inspect and evaluate workplace environments, equipment, and practices for compliance with corporate and legislative requirements standards and regulations.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships and promote a harmonious safety environment.
- Ability to complete written reports and electronic communications expeditiously and with a high-degree of accuracy and professionalism while in the field.
- Computer proficiency with a strong knowledge of PCs and software applications related to the work, such as MS Office, Word, Excel, Access, SharePoint, etc.
- A valid non-probationary Ontario Class “G” or equivalent driver’s license
- Demonstrated ability to identify and take action on safety-related issues, conduct root cause incident investigations and handle both uncomfortable and sensitive situations.
- Ability to travel internally and internationally
- 5+ Years of Rail Construction of Turnkey Projects
- Lead ISO 45001 Auditor Certification
- Experience developing and implementing internal auditing programs
- Experience with Human and Organizational Performance Management techniques
- Master’s Degree in an Occupational Safety and Health Discipline
- Accreditation by the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP) as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) or Board of Certified Safety Professionals as a Certified Safety Professional
- Clear Background Check (Criminal).
Hitachi Rail employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including Competitive Pay, Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability, Life & Accident Insurance, a Retirement Savings Plan, and Paid Vacation. We also offer a number of Work/Life Programs such as Flextime and a variety of Training and Development opportunities.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Join us at www.Hitachi Rail-sts.com/en/careers.
It is our commitment at Hitachi Rail to create a diverse environment and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We would be delighted if you would be one of our followers!
Have a glance at our LinkedIn page https://www.linkedin.com/company/hitachirailsts/