Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions.
Your new role
The Senior Compliance Manager will be a key member of Hitachi Rail’s compliance function that is responsible for delivering a compliance programme for the Rail business unit, consistent with the rapidly evolving compliance landscape within the Hitachi Group.
This role, reporting into Hitachi Rail’s Chief Compliance Officer, will work closely with the wider Hitachi Rail Legal & Compliance team globally, as well as the Compliance teams of Hitachi Group and its affiliates.
The role will require nimbleness in navigating the organisation, and an ability to positively influence and secure stakeholder buy-in with clear and concise communication. Beyond collaboration within Legal & Compliance, regular interaction and partnership with colleagues in Finance, Internal Audit, Procurement, and Commercial functions should also be anticipated.
From the outset, this role will be expected to support multiple elements of the compliance programme. The successful candidate, to be based in Italy, will be an empowered member of the global Compliance team with technical remit, based on their particular skills or expertise that aligns to business needs, as well as certain geographic responsibilities for operational deployment of the programme as a whole. Technical remit may include one or more of the following: anti-bribery and corruption, policies and procedures, whistleblowing and investigations, compliance integration, compliance risk management, compliance operations, projects compliance, regulatory compliance, and compliance training and communications.
While the abovementioned technical areas align to current core business needs, experience or understanding of export and trade controls and/or data privacy would also be welcome.
Specifically, you will be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Supporting the Chief Compliance Officer to develop a “best-in-class” compliance programme, promoting ethical behaviour and building a strong “compliance culture” from management downwards.
- Playing a key role in cross-functional teams, building relationships and counselling stakeholders on commercial and reputational risk, leading discussions on risk management and ethical practices in a user-friendly and pragmatic manner.
- Developing and delivering advice, training, communications, templates and tools, setting and monitoring KPIs, and delivering on key processes including risk assessments and investigations when assigned to execute on them.
- Engaging with management and key functions (such as Internal Audit, HR, Finance, Controllership) to ensure there are adequate internal controls to achieve the company’s compliance objectives.
In addition to a generalist compliance professional skillset, the successful candidate should have demonstrated technical skills, expertise, or experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Anti-bribery and Corruption: Policies and procedures to prevent, detect, and respond to actual or perceived bribery, kickbacks, facilitation or improper payments, and corruption related to commercial counterparties (particularly public customers), and all other third-parties (partners, sub-contractors, suppliers, providers/advisors). Due diligence processes for commercial counterparties and third-parties, and focused attention on processes and controls to manage any heightened risks associated with gifts and entertainment, donations, and sponsorship. In-depth knowledge related to Japan’s Unfair Competition Act (UCPA) and Criminal Code, the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), and the UK Anti-Bribery Act would be useful.
- Policies and Procedures: Drafting and deploying of global standards to create a compliance policies and procedures framework to set expectations for controls and behaviour related to all areas of compliance risk.
- Whistleblowing and Investigations: Program elements related to concern reporting, investigations case management, root cause analysis, and consequence management including remedial actions, for violations of policy and/or law.
- Compliance Integration: Prior experience in compliance integration work following merger and acquisition activity. Developing integration plans to incorporate and unify any disparate legacy compliance programmes.
- Compliance Risk Management: Drafting and deploying compliance risks assessment frameworks, consultations, and reporting of inherent and residual risks and actionable mitigation plans.
- Compliance Operations: Developing solutions to ensure a unified deployment approach that takes advantage of systems and digitalization tools to deliver a compliance program that is globally applicable and scalable, simplified and accessible. May include optimization of processes across multiple technical areas including ABAC, due diligence, export and trade controls, privacy, project/execution risks, among others.
- Projects Compliance: Understanding of risks and compliance management of projects-based execution risks.
- Regulatory Compliance: Understanding of ABAC and other regulatory frameworks or laws applicable to the industry with an ability to advise and partner with colleagues in the business across multiple functions.
- Training and Communications: Experience developing and deploying compliance-related learning materials and communications.
- While the abovementioned technical areas align to current core business needs, experience or understanding of export and trade controls and/or data privacy would also be welcome.
In addition, the successful candidate should be to demonstrate the attributes and skills listed below:
- Familiarity with global compliance practices as implemented in industrial businesses.
- Good verbal and written communications skills, listening, influencing and presentation skills, ability to work and communicate in a diverse global organisation.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, strong at problem-solving and critical thinking, business and financial acumen.
- Team player, with cultural awareness and curiosity, willing to work with other functions and members of the global Legal & Compliance team on joint initiatives.
- Absolute integrity and trustworthiness plus the credibility and ability to communicate the importance of same to all levels of the organisation.
- Any additional language skills, while not required, would be advantageous.
It is our expectation that applicants should possess the following qualifications and experience:
- Degree in Law, Finance or other relevant professional qualification.
- Extensive and demonstrable experience as a practising compliance professional in top tier law firms or industrial companies.
- Has managed a significant part of a compliance or audit program for an international organization.
Why Hitachi Rail?
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.