Your new role
Here at Hitachi Rail UK, we have a great opportunity for an experienced engineering to join the team based from either our main Manufacturing site in Newton Aycliffe or our HO in Ludgate, London as an Electrical Architecture Engineer. This position will work in collaboration with the engineering functions of Hitachi Rail Japan and Hitachi Rail Italy, using our Global Management System (GBMS) which details the rolling stock requirements management and design & platform development processes at are shared across the three organisations. These enable the business to manage rolling stock projects across its design and manufacturing functions using a standardised approach.
As the Electrical Architecture Engineer, you will be dedicated to one specific area of the work packages which all rolling stock projects are broken down into. Within the UK engineering function, work packages are grouped together based on synergies. This creates several small teams focused around a train design area, in this instance Schematics, Control & Electrical Architecture. Each team reports to a dedicated Senior Engineer.
We are looking for someone who can build strong processes becoming more automated with the use of specialist programs such as Zuken’s CAD E3.
Who we are
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are working to Inspire the Next – and this is your chance to be part of it.
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society, and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.
Why Hitachi Rail?
Here at Hitachi Rail, we value the importance of all of our employees, if you would like to join our fantastic organisation you could be entitled to:
- Competitive salary
- Annual Performance bonus paid on discretionary basis.
- 25 days holiday
- Pension scheme with contributions up to 9%
- Private medical insurance
- Personal Accident insurance
- Group Income protection
- Group Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
We also offer additional perks for you to choose from within a flexible plan that will meet your specific needs and lifestyle.
Role responsibilities include…
Depending on the project, its scope, and stage within the V-lifecycle, as the Electrical Architecture Engineer, you may be expected to carry out or contribute to the following activities as required, with respect to your work package area:
- Provide bid support for new rolling stock projects including requirements evaluation, pre-concept design development, technical document production, budget forecasting, etc.
- Develop/evaluate operability concepts.
- Design/evaluate system architectures.
- Support the creation and development of System Requirement Documents (SRD’s) for third party suppliers.
- Be fully engaged on supplier selection, monitor and review all technical documentation received against requirements.
- Understanding and optimising Hitachi platforms electrical design concept.
- Creating, reviewing and checking engineering documentation.
- Ability to work unsupervised to produce consistently high-quality output.
- Experience of designing electrical schematics such as:
- Functional Schematics
- Wiring diagrams
- Wiring connection diagrams
- Ensuring all design is free from single point failures and logic errors while maintaining required safety and reliability requirements.
- Review FRACAS (Failure reporting, analysis, and corrective action system) from reference train systems to ensure projects incorporate identified changes into the project.
- Where applicable, produce/evaluate Functional Requirement Specifications, such as:
- Vehicle Requirement Specifications
- Vehicle Operating Modes
- High, Medium and Low Voltage functional requirement specifications
- Where applicable, develop Software Requirement Specifications and Test Specifications.
- Develop Interface Control Documents.
- Develop functional, performance and vehicle test specifications, as necessary.
- Produce/compile drawings, schematics and models, as necessary.
- Produce design documentation to support the Safety and Approvals team, to achieve all relevant approvals.
- Produce design documentation to demonstrate compliance with the customer specification.
- Respond to customer open items.
- Release areas of EBOM (Bill of Materials) owned by the technical area through the GPLM (Global Product Lifecycle Management) promotion request process.
- Operate GPLM change process where items within the technical area are subject to problem reports and change requests.
- Provide support to all other functions in the areas of your technical competence.
- Provide support at the build & testing phase, inclusive of onsite site support if necessary.
- Provide support to OS&M (Service & Maintenance) during initial warranty period.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate all the essential requirements listed below:
- We welcome applicants with a relevant Master of Engineering degree (minimum 2.2) and some engineering related work experience, but not mandatory.
- All applicants must be able to work and communicate effectively in the English language.
- Ideally working towards Chartered Engineer status.
Applicants will be considered more favourably if they can demonstrate any of the requirements listed below:
- An understanding of the UK/EU railway operations, Engineering and standards.
- Good knowledge of train electronic systems and onboard equipment.
- Previous experience within a system engineering or electrical engineering role.
- Experience of designing/testing train or other electronic/software based embedded systems.
- Experience of requirements-based systems development.
- Knowledge of concepts of real time systems.
- Knowledge of the UK/EU railway operations, Engineering and standards.
- Good English language skills and basic/intermediate understanding in either Italian or Japanese.
- Prior experience working in a global, multi-cultural environment.
- Some experience in working with Rail rolling stock.
- Commercial acumen.
- Chartered Engineer status.
Experience and Skills
- Some relevant professional industry/work experience is desirable.
- Highly motivated
- Demonstrates perseverance, patience and commitment for long term success.
- Highly organised and excellent time management skills
- Enjoys challenges and problem solving.
- The ability to work well under pressure.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Commitment to working as part of a team.
As Train Design Area - Electrical Architecture Engineer, you will be expected to:
- Contribute to the output of your respective Train Design Area to ensure delivery against project milestones.
- Periodically review your deliverables and identify all areas of personal development required to maintain competency. With the support of your manager.
- Manage your scope of work against all deliverables / milestones across all projects and identify all areas of conflict of available resource against demand with Manager support.
- Ensure that design is optimised for manufacturing and maintenance through communication with the relevant teams.
- Take part in internal design and customer design reviews, as necessary. This may require overseas travel.
- Contribute to reports demonstrating progress, key risks and opportunities against the different projects.
- Identify opportunities to drive efficiency within the organisation.
- Support R&D projects as necessary, in addition to the CTO (Central Technical Office) organisation (as required).
- Adopt a flexible approach as project responsibilities can vary. The ability to support other train design areas, if necessary, is desired.
Dependent on Work Package area, use of the following systems will/may be required:
- GPLM Windchill
- CAD packages
- Proprietary software/simulation tools
If you like the sound of the above and feel energised by the idea of joining a great brand at a moment of exciting expansion, please apply now. We look forward to hearing from you!