Your new role
Here at Hitachi Rail we have a great opportunity for a Scheduler/Operations Controller. Reporting directly to the Site Planning Manager, as the Scheduler/Ops Controller you will be responsible for supporting all operational scheduling and controls within Hitachi Rail Rolling Stock UK.
Whilst Operational planning and control will be your primary focus, as the Scheduler/Ops Controller you will also contribute as needed to broader planning activities. Operational planning within RSUK include, car body weld & paint, assembly, routine & type testing along with commissioning.
PLEASE NOTE THIS ROLE IS A 12 MONTH FTC
Who we are
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are working to Inspire the Next – and this is your chance to be part of it.
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.
Why Hitachi Rail?
Here at Hitachi Rail we value the importance of all of our employees, if you would like to join our fantastic organisation you could be entitled to:
- Competitive salary
- Annual Performance bonus paid on discretionary basis.
- 25 days holiday
- Pension scheme with contributions up to 9%
- Private medical insurance
- Personal Accident insurance
- Group Income protection
- Group Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
We also offer additional perks for you to choose from within a flexible plan that will meet your specific needs and lifestyle.
It is our expectation that successful applicants should be able to demonstrate all of the essential requirements listed below:
- Customer focused.
- Strong SAP PP knowledge.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal.
- Strong people skills, and experience working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders.
- Commitment to working as part of an extended team is vital.
- Experience in creating, maintaining and managing manufacturing schedules or similar.
- Negotiation and analytical skills.
- Well organised & high attention to detail.
- Ability to work on own initiative and escalate as and when appropriate.
- Motivated and flexible.
- Power BI experience.
- Experience of working with cross functional teams.
- Experience co-ordinating & initiating action, taking initiative and adapting/responding to change.
- Experience with MS Project.
- Understanding of operational impacts of Master Production Schedules.
- Prior experience working in an engineering or manufacturing environment with strong knowledge of planning and production controls.
- A Level or equivalent education, with excellent numeric and verbal reasoning competencies.
Role responsibilities include…
- Planning activity exists within three layers:
- Global & Scenario Planning & Control
- Project Planning & Control
- Operational Planning & Control
- Key focus area for the Scheduler/Operations Controller is Operational Planning & Control, whilst contributing as needed to broader planning activities.
- Supporting creation of the Master Production Schedule, and tracking/monitoring to ensure supply chain and production plans support the on time delivery of RSUK across multiple projects & contracts.
- Supporting RSUK project delivery planning.
- Inbound & outbound logistics co-ordination and tracking.
- Escalation of appropriate issues, challenges and risks to the Master Schedules for all RSUK activities.
- Creation, checking, raising, and closing of Production Orders to enable successful execution of activities and production control (including material, cost, change monitoring) within RSUK.
- Supporting Master Schedulers/Operations Controllers in creating the Master Production Schedule (MPS), gathering data and providing information on Production Actuals, material delivery dates, resource availability and other constraints within the Schedules to identify critical paths.
- Monitor & control MPS & SAP Build Plan with consideration of safety, quality, delivery & cost, and maintaining Production Orders to accurately drive critical warehouse picking activities.
- Create and issue scheduling artefacts, including trackers, delivery schedules and other documents as needed to support the wider teams to understand, follow and deliver against the plan.
- Supporting the department to maintain a continuous cycle of planning, monitoring of activities, & control.
- Supporting creation of Power BI dashboards to effectively monitor metrics & the plan, and regularly update Planning Manager, Master Scheduler/Operations Controllers & other key stakeholders as necessary.
- Monitoring & closure of Production, Rework & all other orders in a timely fashion in line with JSOX requirements. Supporting regular Order Closure meetings with key stakeholders.
- Monitoring potential Master Data errors, and working with other teams to correct - which may affect the SAP Build Plan, Production Orders or other operational controls.
- Work closely with multiple operations, warehouse and production managers/section leaders to get up to the minute, accurate information that allows the SAP Build Plan to be constantly updated in real time, and always aligned with the approved MPS.
- Work with all Planning team members and escalate issues to upstream or downstream processes/facilities – including consideration of logistics / material storage / weld / paint / traverser capacity and internal storage, to test & validation / commissioning. Highlight impact of changes to relevant stakeholders and support issue resolution.
- Effectively communicate required changes or escalate MPS deviations to Planning team members.
- Provide cover for Master Schedulers/Operations Controllers in their absence.
- Provide daily / weekly reports on progress – including Project by Project views, and overall Operations views split by area of the facility, including Weld, Paint, Assembly, Test & Validation, and Commissioning.
- Gather information to enable regular review of schedule, constraints, space, resources and scope changes.
- Support forecasting & scenario planning activities to enable Planning Manager & Master Schedulers/Operations Controllers to make informed decisions.
- Support with creation of recovery plans where performance falls below the requirement.
- Formally evaluate ‘critical path’ and plan risk mitigation strategies. Contribute to risk/opportunities register for projects & areas of the facility.
- Maintaining a high level of quality and accuracy in all documentation & communications.
- Document and develop Planning business processes, and configurations requirements for SAP system for Production Scheduling activities.
- Monitor & predict capacity constraints within RSUK & formulate effective plans to negate issues/constraints.
If you like the sound of the above and feel energised by the idea of joining a great brand at a moment of exciting expansion, please apply now. We look forward to hearing from you!