Hitachi Rail is a truly global integrated provider of rail solutions and a division of Hitachi Group with a 100-year heritage of delivering innovative mobility solutions. Formed through the bringing together of four of the leading rail businesses, Hitachi Rail provides safe, secure and comfortable transportation with over 18 billion journeys completed in 2019 using its technology. Hitachi Rail is defined by sophisticated OT and manufacturing technology, cutting-edge IT, and products trusted for their high quality and reliability. Drawing on the wider Hitachi market-leading technology and research-and-development capabilities, the Rail Group strives to deliver industry leading innovations and solutions that can deliver value for customers and sustainable railway
systems that benefit wider society.
Sustainability is at the heart of Hitachi Rail. Currently, railway signaling and automation solutions require significant physical technology to operate. This activity does not only refer to the hardware, operation and maintenance of the technical equipment but to the entire infrastructure necessary to power and connect it.
Hitachi Rail is working on removing and simplifying field-based and on-board
technology to optimize railway operation. This reduces physical assets, operation and maintenance costs and allows it to use software to achieve data driven outcomes. Hitachi Rail has a global team of over 12,000 working across 38 countries, bringing together the capability, resource and financial strength of rail businesses around the world, working across rolling stock, service and maintenance, signaling and turnkey procurement. Hitachi understands that only through collaborating with suppliers will sustainable and profitable growth be achieved. It believes that by working together, it can deliver on its commitment to play a key part in delivering a best-in-class product for the millions of passengers who travel on the rail networks every day and for the benefit of wider society.
Hitachi delivers innovations that answer challenges. With our talented team and
proven experience in global markets, we can inspire the world.
The purpose of the position is the Implementation of the commercial strategy for assigned region/countries/customers in alignment with Business objectives and company relevant procedures and guidelines.
Position title: Principle Sales Manager, Hitachi Rail STS, Australia
Position Location: Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth Australia
Position type: Full time
Reporting relationship: Position reports to Head of Sales Australia
The accountabilities of the Principle Sales Manager will include but are not limited to:
- Support the Head of Sales in the development of the Commercial Plan for the designated region/clients on a periodic basis;
- Ensure the implementation of the company commercial strategy, including targeted bids, sales for Hitachi Rail product and new and innovative business initiatives;
- Ensure the definition of the guidelines for the Bid Preparation strategy in terms of Strategic goals (e.g. Customer expectations, relation with third parties, possible partnerships and/or strategic External Providers for specific local regulations to be fulfilled; …), relationships with the Customer, Target price and Key winning factors;
- Ensure, in collaboration with qualification, proposal and bidding units - the execution of all bidding/qualification activities up to the delegated authority (e.g.: bid/no bid decision, bid strategy, proposal submission decision, orders negotiation and signature);
- Ensure the acquisition and reporting of relevant market information in order to optimize the sales activities for the assigned geographical areas (e.g. investment priorities, political environment, competitor profile, required technologies, etc.);
- Ensure the definition and maintenance of key clients, partners, competitors data base with key data information;
- Ensure the continuous update of Companies data base with sales relevant data of the assigned region;
- Ensure the issuing and development of the bidding prioritization framework;
- Ensure support for on-going project delivery teams for negotiation activities/support required by on-going contracts;
- Ensure the monitoring and control of all activities performed by local business facilitators;
- Ensure the set-up of JV/Consortium (partners selection and identification, Agreement on MoU and CA) in accordance with BU commercial strategy and company policies;
- Ensure win-loss analysis for the selected bids within 30 days of results;
- Prepare and present the performance on a regular cadence of the Sales report for the assigned region, or as and when requested.
- Effectively lead the Sales and Bid teams in delivering the successful outcomes for any given bid, tender or initiative. This could include direct reports;
- Support preparation for and attendance at networking and marketing events and conferences in conjunction with the Hitachi Rail Marketing and External Communications Unit; and
- Prepared to be travelling inter-state or then overseas on various assignments in relation to all activities within the accountability of this role, or then when requested by the Head of Sales.
- Total amount of order intake according to the assigned targets, for all aspects of our HR solutions and products;
- Introduction of new products in the assigned region/countries/customers as per the defined commercial strategy;
- Win-loss analysis for the selected bids provided timely (within 30 days of results);
- Additional KPIs will be allocated on a case by case basis for key bids and associated activities; and
- Effective management of personnel within the Sales team or then across other functional teams.
Key Experiences preferred:
The candidate of choice should bring 10 + years of hands-on experience in the Transportation Industry with:
- Significant commercial experience working in complex, multi-discipline engineering projects with Market and Rail Industry Knowledge, Technical knowledge, price awareness, negotiation, contractual knowledge;
- Proven experience in complex Commercial Negotiations for various types of contracting arrangements such as Alliances, PPPs, Lump Sum Contracts and Hybrid arrangements.
- Strong working relationships with technology providers, industry partners, client organizations, other industry bodies such as ARA, IRSE etc.;
- International experience outside the ANZ region is desirable;
- Agile mindset, able to take prompt decisions in a fast paced environment;
- Ability to work and lead in a multicultural environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse cultural organization with multiple key stakeholders displaying highly polished interpersonal and communication skills;
- Microsoft Office proficiency.
Key qualifications preferred:
- Experience in Rail Industry across various technologies and systems is mandatory. Any accreditations in relation to this is highly desirable;
- University Degree (economics or engineering) or equivalent Technical Background is mandatory;
- Business Administration qualifications such as MBA or other comparable qualifications are desirable;