As an Applications Engineer, you will work alongside a team of automation experts. Together you will develop an accurate budget and project quote outlining key concept points, sequence of operations and mechanical descriptions to ultimately create custom, innovative and integrated solutions for our customers you never even thought possible. This is a role for a creative engineer that enjoys customer interaction and solving problems.
Our Applications Engineers will need to quote the cost of each job that has been awarded, all while being flexible to changes throughout a project. They will have access to "base" information that goes into certain jobs, but every job is different. They need to identify the content of what needs to go into the job, as well as work with groups to understand time/manpower requirements. What You’ll Do:
Note: This list of responsibilities is by no means inclusive; however, it is intended to be a guideline for activities.
- Effective communication skills are a necessity because we require employees of all levels to communicate directly with the customer and our suppliers
- Interact with cross functional team members from Engineering, Process Lab, Supply Chain Management, Project Management, Customer Service, Manufacturing, Commissioning to solicit input and buy in to pursuit approaches and proposals
- Experience with working with industrial trades contractors (i.e. piping, electrical, etc.)
- High commitment level to ensure engineering team has provided solutions that directly reduce risk level of JR Automation provided automated systems
- Operate in a collaborative Sales/Estimating team comprising of JR Automation product, sales, proposals, and execution
- Ability to handle multiple tasks/sow analysis/pursuit estimates/proposal drafts
- Effective time management, multitasking, producing and managing priorities and scheduling to accommodate entire business cycle
- A strong sense of proposal commitment to accuracy and accountability
- Intermediate travel to meet customers, support all proposal activities with technical and commercial content, technical recommendations and process analysis
- Obtain external quotes from vendor base and find new support sources
- Develop and generate solutions using JR Automation enabling technology (products) and process knowledge in Dispense / Paint, Press & Polymers, Powertrain and BiW
- Prepare process analysis, concept generation, cycle time analysis and develop alternate process solutions
- Prepare work estimates by gathering proposals, blueprints, specifications, and related documents.
- Identify labor, material, and time requirements by studying proposals, blueprints, specifications, and related documents
- Compute costs by analyzing labor, material, and time requirements
- Present prepared estimate based on customer requirements by assembling and displaying numerical and descriptive information
- Prepare proposal clarification/compliance matrixes
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing technical publications.
What You’ll Bring:
- At least 5 years of experience working as an Applications Engineer, Proposal Engineer, or Quoting Engineer
- At least 5 years of experience working with assembly tools/equipment (Final Assembly, General Assembly, BiW Assembly, Powertrain Assembly)
- Experience with Excel (specifically pivot tables, tracing back formulas, and the VLOOKUP function)
- Interaction with customer on programs
- Strong communication and documentation skills
- Experience working with structural steel is helpful, but not required
At JR Automation, A Hitachi Group Company, our talented teams leverage the latest technologies, innovative thinking, and decades of experience to provide our global customers with world-class automation equipment. We transform processes & optimize operations with the solutions we design, build, program & deploy for nearly every industry. Our people are the heart of our operations, and we believe unique skills and capabilities enable us to grow, collaborate and evolve.
Join our team of 2,200+ at one of the 27 facilities around the globe. We offer competitive pay, great benefits, apprenticeship programs, tuition reimbursement and training opportunities to develop your skills.
Come Think. Solve. Create. With Us!