System Design Engineer – FACTS
Hitachi Energy is a pioneering technology leader that is helping to increase access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all. We help keep your lights on, the factories running, our hospitals and schools open. Come as you are, and prepare to get better, as you continuously learn from others and grow in your role. Bring your passion, bring your energy, and plug yourself into a team that appreciates a simple truth: Diversity + Collaboration = Innovation
You will be part the Grid & Power Quality Solutions (G&PQS) team working with FACTS technology. FACTS (Flexible AC Transmission Systems) technology enables power system owners and users to increase capacity in the existing electric power system while improving electrical stability. As a result, more power reaches the customer with a minimal environmental impact and at lower investment costs compared to alternative solutions. The G&PQS group is now expanding the engineering team which develops and delivers this state-of-the-art technology to customers in the North American market. We are looking for you who want to be part of enabling grids for the future.
- Your main task will be to work with system design of our plants to assure the highest quality and robustness in our delivery projects and tenders.
- You will be in close contact with the other engineering disciplines, sub-suppliers, project managers, customers and other Hitachi-Energy units globally.
- You will also have close connection to research and development activities for our complete product portfolio.
- Defining the overall technical solutions and requirements for involved main components based on our customer’s technical specifications.
- As a System Design Engineer, your mission will cover several technical areas, which provide great opportunities for varied and developing work.
- Your tasks will include main circuit design and related design studies as well as possibilities to perform power system studies to verify the plants’ performances in our customers’ networks.
- You will be responsible for the entire System Design’s scope in delivery projects and to coordinate all related tasks to ensure we deliver on time and within budget.
- You will lead technical discussions with customers and suppliers related to proposed solutions and design concepts.
- Your activities will include supervise, plan and actively participate in Factory Acceptance Tests and Site Acceptance Test with customer and/or other Hitachi-Energy units.
- You will support other areas of the organization with the more complex problems situations related to the tenders, projects, and existing FACTS installations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering required with at least 2 years of experience in the Power Systems field,
- Candidates with additional experience will be considered.
- Experience in FACTS, HVDC or other grid application of power electronics is a plus.
- Masters of Science degree in Power Electronics/Power Systems will be evaluated as 1 year of experience in power systems.
- Good communication skills and the wish to work in a dynamic and multicultural environment. This position requires the ability to clearly communicate within Hitachi-Energy, with customers’ and suppliers’ personnel in order to successfully collaborate, coordinate, and resolve project related activities and issues. Problems involve recognizing situations and applying appropriate concepts to solve problems that are usually short-term in nature.
- Excellent technical English writing and verbal skills
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and a desire to deliver to customers a quality, completed project that meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations.
- Knowledge of commonly used design tools such as Matlab®, PSCAD®, PSS/E®
- You are a curious person with the drive to challenge yourself for continuous development in both short and long term. You have an interest in and passion for power systems analysis, power semiconductor technology and substation design.
- Travel is required; up to 30% both domestic and international. An initial training period in Sweden will be required.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)-Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access Hitachi Energy career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling a Hitachi Energy HR Representative at 1-888-504-2007 or by sending an email to: [email protected]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.