Hitachi Energy USA has an opening for Senior Legal Counsel. Hitachi Energy North America is headquartered in Raleigh, N.C. and this position can be either located in Raleigh or fully remote. This is an excellent opportunity for a legal professional who will have responsibility for supporting the growing business needs for Hitachi Energy. You will be responsible for providing sound legal advice and counsel while implementing global strategy within the area of legal affairs. You will assist in the development and implementation of business-focused legal strategies that drive increased order volume for the Company while simultaneously protecting against significant risks to the Business. You will guide and counsel stakeholders to ensure comprehension and coordination of the necessary legal measures to ensure the successful operation of the various Company Businesses. You will report directly to the Head of Legal, North America.
- Provides legal advice and counsel to Hitachi Energy management across either a broad range of legal issues, or within one specialist area, and manages disputes as directed.
- Contract negotiation: Assists with negotiation of frame agreements, contracts, partnerships and other contractual terms in collaboration with Region/Country Legal/Integrity Manager and relevant business managers.
- Draft and negotiate complex commercial contracts.
- Participate in Risk Reviews according to Company and Business directives and instructions.
- Legal strategies: Anticipates and identifies legal issues of concern to management and proactively contributes to effective legal strategies and practical solutions.
- Governance: Ensures good corporate governance in the area of accountability at country level, supports implementation of the Code of Conduct and on-going integrity training and assists in investigation and resolution of any integrity issues that arise as directed.
- Company guidelines and instructions: Assists with the implementation of both local and Group legal and integrity directives and instructions and monitors on-going integrity.
- Manage outside counsel.
- Training: Provides legal training and awareness for employees in the business as directed.
- Assist Business colleagues and Head of Legal in cost-effective and timely resolution of business disputes and lawsuits.
- Coordinate, as needed, with Legal colleagues for other Businesses.
- Act with a high degree of initiative and independence to identify and recommend appropriate courses of action.
- Provides advice to meet strategic goals and to protect business reputation, interests and ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Ongoing monitoring of applicable laws, regulations and policies.
- Living Hitachi Energy’s core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
- J.D. from an American Bar Association accredited law school and bar admission in North Carolina or other State Bar; at least 8 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Candidate must already have work authorization that would permit them to work for Hitachi Energy in the United States.
- Need to be practical and business-minded with an ability to present a business partner with real-world, pragmatic advice. Ability to work in a dynamic, multicultural environment is also needed.
- Significant experience providing legal advice concerning product liability issues and commercial litigation.
- Experience with global legal matters preferred.
- Sound legal judgment in developing and implementing legal solutions.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Comprehensive understanding of business matters.
- A results-oriented professional with strong common sense and superior business acumen.
- Understanding of technical concepts and an interest in technology.
- Experience interacting with regulators, clients and customers with respect to incidents, vulnerabilities, audits or other related inquiries.
- The ability to be recognized as an independent and respected legal advisor, and ability to work in a complex, matrix structure where cooperation is often gained through influence rather than through direct command.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage a significant workload.
- Strong leadership and independent decision-making ability.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to compile and analyze regulatory and business information, assess risk, and provide resolutions or recommendations for process improvement.
- Highly collaborative individual with ability to influence others and build strong professional relationships.
- Ability to use creativity and influence to meet and overcome resistance to change.
- Excellent written, interpersonal and analytical skills are required.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)-Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access Hitachi Energy career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling a Hitachi Energy HR Representative at 1-888-504-2007 or by sending an email to: [email protected]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.