In this role, under the supervision of the Department Director, you'll support technology development for power electronics at Hitachi Astemo America. You'll be responsible for understanding customer system requirements and then working with a global engineering team to design/develop an inverter to meet customer needs. This would include electrical circuit design, component selection, circuit analysis, and testing of power electronics products.
This role work plan is hybrid structure (2-3 days on-site depending on public health situation)
- Lead and/or support technology development activities for new xEV power electronics business in Hitachi Astemo Americas
- Plans and manage activities for multiple projects to ensure goals or objectives are accomplished within a prescribed timeframe.
- Receive, evaluate, and utilize customer engineering requirements and work with global team to provide optimum inverter design for each application.
- Facilitate accurate & timely inverter program technical communication between OEM customers to the US / Japan design teams and related Hitachi manufacturing sites.
- Participate with Hitachi US & Japan Design Engineering organizations in the original design / existing design improvements / performance validation / production launch, activities of xEV inverters for various automotive powertrain products applications.
- Create and/or oversee other technical specifications as needed for product design.
- Provide as needed on-site support to the internal inverter manufacturing sites for various engineering duties during sample and mass production timing.
- Support various types of product pricing, quoting, and cost investigation activities.
- Prepare various types of technical data / information documents using industry standard PC based software programs (i.e.: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Solid works, ANSYS, etc.)
- Research and develop state-of-the-art engineering design solutions and manufacturing technologies for power electronics used in automotive traction system.
- Support product validation testing, prototype build and test, and other engineering deliverables in the development phase of product life cycle.
Education: Possess a BSEE
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum 5 years practical work experience designing automotive power electronics analog and digital circuits (drive inverters preferred).
- Experience with embedded hardware design experience for automotive power electronics.
- Knowledge in analysis, simulation, design, development, and testing of power electronics.
- Understanding of electrified vehicle system and integration.
- Experience interfacing with customers and/or suppliers to explain technical documents/drawings/information.
- High level technical problem-solving skills (Six Sigma training preferred).
- High level interpersonal skills to collaborate internally and externally.
The ideal candidate is preferred to:
- Possess a Masters or PhD in Electrical Engineering with emphasis in Power Electronics.
- Have minimum of 7 yrs. of practical experience and demonstrated accomplishments in Power Electronics circuit design.
- Possess experience with Solidworks 3-D CAD creation and 2-D drawing creation.
- Possess experience with Mechanical CAE (thermal, structural, etc)
- Experience with quotation activities (BOM estimation, etc) for new products.
- Demonstrated success at leading an organized team.
- Fluent in both the English and Japanese languages.
Physical Demands: Required to sit or stand for long periods of time. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Carrying equipment up and down stairs. Occasional overtime will be required.
Travel: Some domestic and international travel may be required up to 20%. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)-Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
If you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job at Hitachi, please send the nature of request and contact information to [email protected]. Queries other than accommodation requests will not be responded to.