In this role, under the supervision of the Senior Engineering Manager, you'll lead development for an xEV inverter product(s) at Hitachi Astemo America. You'll be responsible for understanding customer system requirements and then working with a global engineering team to design/develop/produce an inverter/power control unit to meet customer needs.
This role work plan is hybrid structure (2-3 days on-site)
- Lead development activities for an xEV Inverter product(s) in Hitachi Astemo Americas.
- Plans and manage activities for multiple projects to ensure goals or objectives are accomplished within a prescribed timeframe.
- Receive, evaluate, and utilize customer engineering requirements and work with global team to provide optimum inverter design for each application.
- Facilitate accurate & timely inverter program technical communication between OEM customers to the US / Japan design teams, Hitachi manufacturing sites, and suppliers.
- Participate with Hitachi US & Japan Design Engineering organizations in the original design / existing design improvements / performance validation / production launch activities of xEV inverters for various automotive powertrain products applications.
- Create and/or oversee 3-D CAD, 2-D drawings, CAE or other technical information/specifications as needed for product design.
- Provide as needed on-site support to the internal and external inverter manufacturing sites for various engineering duties during sample and mass production timing.
- Support various types of product pricing, quoting, and cost investigation activities.
- Prepare various types of technical data / information documents using industry standard PC based software programs (i.e.: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, CAD, CAE, etc.)
- Support product validation testing, prototype build and test, and other engineering deliverables in the development phase of product life cycle.
- Lead and/or support post SORP VEC activities to reduce production costs and/or improve quality.
Education: Possess at minimum a BSME
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum 7 years practical mechanical design experience designing automotive powertrain components (drive Inverters preferred).
- Proficient with 3-D CAD creation and 2-D drawing creation.
- Possess experience with Mechanical CAE (thermal, structural, etc)
- Understanding of electrified vehicle system and integration.
- Proficient interfacing with customers and/or suppliers to explain technical documents/drawings/information.
- High level technical problem-solving skills.
- High level interpersonal skills to collaborate internally and externally.
- Proficient in managing projects from concept through execution.
- Experience managing a small team of engineers.
The ideal candidate is preferred to have the following qualifications:
- Possess a BSME or PhD in Mechanical Engineering.
- Have a minimum of 10 yrs. of practical experience and demonstrated accomplishments developing automotive inverters.
- Highly Proficient with Solidworks or CATIA 3-D CAD creation and 2-D drawing creation.
- Mechanical design CAE experience for automotive inverters (thermal, structural, etc)
- Experience with quotation activities (BOM estimation, etc) for new products.
- Experience with tolerance stack-ups, GD&T, DFMEA, DRBFM, and DFSS.
- Highly proficient in managing projects from concept through execution.
- Fluent in both the English and Japanese languages.
Physical Demands: Required to sit or stand for long periods of time. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Carrying equipment up and down stairs. Occasional overtime will be required.
Travel: Some domestic and international travel may be required up to 20%. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)-Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
If you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job at Hitachi, please send the nature of request and contact information to [email protected]. Queries other than accommodation requests will not be responded to.