The Commissioning and Startup Engineer supports the project execution team in turning on microgrid and BESS systems. This would involve working with project engineering to develop efficient execution plans, as well as participating in factory testing and system commissioning activities. It also involves the development and implementation of proactive services responsive to customer requirements. The position also includes the coordination of investigations of customer reported issues and assisting to achieve equitable solutions for our customers.
Typical duties/responsibilities include the following for all areas of specialization:
- Responsible for working in a safe manner at all times
- Troubleshoot equipment located at customer sites
- Actively participate in product/system factory testing (FAT)
- Perform start-up and commissioning services at customer locations (SAT)
- Assist the in-house system engineering group in product development and/or project work; provide suggestions based on field experience, to improve the products
- Prepare and perform customer training at company as well as at customer facilities
- Travel extensively within North America
- You will act as project technical lead and prepare and approve design deliverables. You will review all project documents for conformity and quality assurance. Anticipate and solve problems, crucial issues and unique conditions. You will serve as a specialist in the application of advanced concepts and methods..
- Support design of systems to meet the functional design specifications.
- Knowledge of civil, structural and electromechanical disciplines is a plus.
- Knowledge of inverter-based control theory and SCADA systems is preferable.
- You will assist with quotations, engineering requests, and product team support to build sufficient documents responding to customer’s inquiries such as RFI’s, RFP’s, etc.
Risk and opportunity management:
- Create and execute strategies for risk and opportunity management in one’s area of responsibility.
- Identify and manage contract risks taking preventive/corrective actions to resolve any contract/quality/program/ cost issues.
- Reports any outstanding issues to management, along with recommendations for resolution.
- You will work with the customer to shape and deliver solutions and seek customer feedback to drive and deliver improvements.
- Attends project meetings and presents specific aspects of engineering assignments.
Supply chain management:
- You will collaborate with the Supply Chain function to ensure that technical requirements for equipment or services are communicated and agreed on with potential suppliers.
- Provide technical evaluation of supplier proposals and accept as fit for purpose supplied equipment or services.
Technical leadership and knowledge sharing:
- Ensure sharing of application know-how internally, able to support customer training, testing and troubleshooting of microgrid and BESS applications as required.
Processes and tools:
- You will review, develop and document quality standards, processes, tools and techniques.
- Ensures that engineering activities comply with required safety regulations and contractual requirements.
- Contribute towards continuous improvements of processes and tools for engineering efficiency.
Bachelor's Degree in engineering with relevant experience in power generation control systems, power systems engineering, power electronics and/or energy storage system design; OR
Master's Degree in engineering in power generation control systems, power systems engineering, power electronics and/or energy storage system design.
Capability in these areas as the position will be required to work in a wide range of engineering subjects.
- High level of technical aptitude in electrical engineering and industrial software technologies.
- Sound knowledge and experience in industrial, power generation or distribution environments.
- SCADA system design is a plus.
- Engineering and/or commissioning of power electronics devices including energy storage and/or solar inverters.
- Distribution system design and engineering, distribution level interconnection.
- Familiarity or experience with renewable energy generation technologies as well as thermal generation (diesel generators, CHP, small turbines).
- Ability to develop understanding of power automation and/or power generation systems.
- Demonstrates an interest in and understanding of others; Adapts to the team and builds team spirit; Recognizes the contribution of others; Listens, consults and communicates proactively.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and high attention to detail.
- Establishes good relationships with customers and staff; Builds wide and effective networks of contacts inside and outside the organization; Relates well to people at all levels.
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team.
- Highly flexible and demonstrable problem-solving skills.
- Time management, co-ordination, accuracy, attention to detail and performing in a pressure environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)-Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access Hitachi Energy career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling a Hitachi Energy HR Representative at 1-888-504-2007 or by sending an email to: [email protected]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.