APAC NC Contracts Manager
Job ID: R0037537
Date Posted: Nov 29, 2023
Segment: Green Energy & Mobility
Business Unit: Hitachi Energy
Company Name: HITACHI ENERGY JAPAN, LTD.
Profession (Job Category): Sales, Marketing & Product Management
Job Type (Experience Level): Experienced
Job Schedule: Full time
- You will be responsible for dimensions: Large & and complex project revenues: Of approx. 50 MUSD per year.
- You will be facing challenges: Working in a matrix environment internally and externally with demanding customers on tight schedules. Problems faced may be difficult and typically are complex.
- Contract Governance: Ensures the portfolio of contracts in the business follows contract and claim management methodologies by internal standard procedures and per contract terms. Work with the Tender & Execution teams to ensure that the contracts are adhering to Hitachi Energy policies for Insurance, Trade Compliance & and HSE by engaging and coordinating with in-house Subject Matter Experts.
- You will be responsible for customer project tenders and major supplier T&C negotiations: Reviews and comments on commercial and technical tender terms and conditions. Develops contract strategy based on Hitachi Energy policies, customer requirements, and the overall execution strategy considering risks, pricing, scope, and schedule for both customer & and major suppliers. Supports drafting of Purchase Orders and Subcontracts to ensure the major (sub) contracts contain appropriate contract terms to protect Hitachi Energy interests, including but not limited to flow-down of main contract terms.
- You will be responsible for contract execution (from project kick-off to project closure): Works with the Tender & Execution teams to identify the contract baseline (including terms and conditions, specifications, drawings, estimate, proposal, schedule, and other documents incorporated in the contract) and highlights areas of potential risk. Leveraging existing project management tools, work with stakeholders to ensure timely and accurate execution of commercial aspects in the portfolio of contracts (i.e. payments, claims, variation orders, warranties, provisions, guarantees, etc.). Works with the Execution team to identify scope creep and qualify the additional time and compensation due to Hitachi Energy. Defends and enforces Hitachi Energy's contractual interests against customers and suppliers during the entire project life cycle. In concert with Legal, develops the negotiation strategy and supports negotiations. Supports Legal handling of formal dispute resolution, litigation, and arbitration. Notifies and liaises with Legal to report major claims and keeps Legal updated on any critical development during project execution.
- You will be responsible for contract closure: Work with the Execution team, assess the highs and lows of the contract and determine if there are any lessons learned/best practices for future contracts.
- Risk Management: Analyses prime contract terms to highlight areas of potential opportunity and risk, such as ambiguities, omissions, and conflicts, as work proceeds. Seeks advice from Legal to draft, negotiate, and finalize agreements during the Sales and Project Execution phases. Develops and implements risk mitigation and opportunity plans in concert with the Project Manager and/or Sales Manager or FES Manager.
- You will provide technical commercial, and contract thought leadership for highly complex projects as needed.
- You will be responsible for working with customers and Company management to understand requirements and ongoing strategy to provide or develop contractual/commercial solutions for meeting joint short-term and long-term business goals.
- You will be responsible for working with vendors and senior leadership directly as well as engineers, IT specialists, architects, and analysts from various disciplines to achieve desired business outcomes.
- You will ensure policies, practices, and procedures are understood and followed.
- Living Hitachi Energy’s core values of safety and integrity means taking responsibility for your actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
- Minimum qualification: bachelor’s degree in engineering or law.
- 5-8 years of contracts management in engineering, procurement, and construction environment – utilities, transportation, and public infrastructure experience is preferable.
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, and document management systems as a power user.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of FIDIC contracts (yellow/orange/red book) is an advantage.
- Proficiency in both spoken & and written English language is required.