As the global R&D Manager you will be part of the Hitachi Energy and its global product group Automation and Communication. We are responsible for development of protection and control products for power generation, transmission, and sub-transmission network applications. Our product offer includes IEDs in the Relion 670/650 series, auxiliary relays and communication equipment for substation automation application. As the global R&D manager you will be leading and managing development teams, which has highly knowledgeable developers and testers in electromechanics, PCBA and the electrical power systems domain.
- Partner with Product Management, Supply Chain, Operations, Factory, Support line and Sales to ensure appropriate representation of needs within R&D projects.
- Product line direction, together with product management you will define and create a product portfolio roadmap.
- Technology direction, define and create a technology roadmap.
- Plan and ensure an optimal project portfolio. This covers competency and capacity planning. Oversee efficient and timely quality project execution using the most appropriate internal and external resources and partners.
- Product life cycle, which includes monitoring and ensuring the lifespan for each product in the product line. Monitor and manage the product defect backlog and ensure that issues in the field are resolved within reasonable time. Monitor product quality statistics and drive investigations and lessons learned and implement the resolutions in upcoming product releases.
- Prepare annual and multi-year global budget in cooperation with product management. Keep a monthly track on the forecast versus budget.
- Lead a team of developers.
- Engage regularly with key stakeholders and present status of projects and other activities within R&D
- Initiate and drive continuous improvement activities and improve operational performance of the department in collaboration with your colleagues.
- Optimize development cost and drive innovation to foster towards product cost and manufacturing process optimization by working with laboratories and Universities wherever needed.
- Foster a strong and collaborative team culture based on mutual trust.
- Ensure good alignment and collaboration with interfacing teams around the globe.
- Bachelor’s or Master´s degree in electrical engineering with minimum 10 years of experience in R&D, or product development
- Proven working experience / ability, leading a team of engineers
- Strong Team player, with the ability to bridge different interests and ideas
- Knowledge and experience in project management tools, preferably in an agile and lean organization
- Ability to analyze complex challenges, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- You are flexible, well organized, a driven problem solver, solutions-oriented, who willingly takes initiatives and delivers according to expectations
- Used to teamwork in international teams with excellent interpersonal skills and Proficient in English (written, speaking)