This position will be part of the xEV Drive Unit team for Electric Vehicle products and will be responsible for providing Metrology support externally to customers and suppliers and internally to the plant manufacturing teams for both New Product Introduction and Mass Production activity. This position has direct contact with multiple departments within the manufacturing site and direct contact with the customer.
Overall requirements of the Metrology Engineer position are to provide precision measurement and results summary for analysis of mass production and new model products to judge conformance to customer requirements. In addition, to oversee the scheduling and maintenance of the calibration system for quality and plant measurement equipment.
The Metrology Engineers will work with other team members (Process Engineers, Test Engineers, Analysis Engineers, SQ & QA Engineers, Maintenance, Technical Associates and Production (management and production floor personnel.)
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, and Skills):
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics and 4 years manufacturing experience in metrology or similar role
- Experience in creation of measurement programs on CMM.
- Experience with developing and maintaining a calibration system for plant test equipment
- Intermediate level proficiency in the implementation and analysis of measurement system analysis tools; Gage R&R, Linearity, and Gage Bias.
- Intermediate level proficiency with CMM software, Windows, MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Intermediate level proficiency with metrology equipment: roughness tester, contour tracer, optical comparator, hardness tester, calipers, and micrometers.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally required
Preferred Qualifications (Education, Experience, and Skills):
- Work experience in automotive industry, with emphasis in electro/mechanical devices
- Knowledge of EV components such as inverters and motors
- Experience dealing with automotive customers
- Knowledge of Quality Systems such as IATF16949, PPAP, CAPA, NPI (New Product Introduction), APQP, FMEA, Control Plans, etc.
- Well organized, attention to detail and able to handle multiple deadlines and projects simultaneously
- Knowledge with problem solving tools, such as 5P, 5-why, DOE, FTA etc.…with strong aptitude toward root cause analysis
- 3 years of experience in creation of measurement programs on CMM (PC-DMIS Preferred).
- Well versed in manufacturing cost and profit analysis and projections.
Essential to Job Functions – Physical and/or Mental Restrictions:
- Ability to work flexible schedule including all shifts and days as needed
- Ability to work for extended periods of time while sitting
- Standing, walking, and bending for the duration of the workday
- Ability to lift 35lbs from floor to a height of 4ft
- Ability to push or pull pallet jack up to 450lbs
- Visual ability to work accurately with detailed information and a computer screen
- Ability to use hand tools and view small components through a microscope for extended periods of time
- Ability to travel for business (Domestic and Overseas)
- Proficiency in Excel, Word & PowerPoint
- Intermediate level proficiency with CMM software such as MCOSMOS.
Production and Location Start-up Duties:
- Work within small team to develop manufacturing location and processes to support smooth mass production start-up of EV products.
- Support Purchasing with development of supplied parts through proto-type and trial measurements.
- Development of testing fixtures and protocols for manufactured and supplied parts for mass production.
- Typical NPI duties as detailed by internal Astemo and customer requirements for start-up of new product/location.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Make sound business decisions, exercise good judgment and maintain high level of motivation
- Maintain effectiveness in high visibility situations, handle multiple functions efficiently and ensure deadlines are met
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact with all levels of organization needed
- Confers with and prepares reports for upper management
- Promote and carry out the Hitachi Core Values
- Maintain a clean and orderly work environment according to 6S
- Knowledge of quality assurance systems: Application of principles & procedures to daily activities to assure product quality.
- Ability to read and understand customer drawings, specification and engineering standards.
Work Environment – Travel, Noise, Smells, Quiet, Indoors or Outdoors, etc.
- Requires 10% travel – Domestic and International
- Factory Setting with Noise
- Personal Computer
- Metrology equipment: roughness tester, contour tracer, optical comparator, hardness tester, calipers, and micrometers.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)-Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
If you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job at Hitachi, please send the nature of request and contact information to [email protected]. Queries other than accommodation requests will not be responded to.