Job ID: 44119
Date Posted: Oct 15, 2019
Segment: Smart Life
Business Unit: Hitachi Healthcare
Company Name: Performance Controls, Inc.
Profession (Job Category): Engineering
Job Type (Experience Level): Experienced
Job Schedule: Full-time
The Power Electronics Engineer applies principles and understanding of analog and digital circuit design, closed-loop control theory, switching power electronics, power semiconductor devices, electronics cooling and thermal design, printed circuit board design and regulatory compliance requirements to conceive, develop and support innovative power electronic products such as servo amplifiers, gradient amplifiers and related power supplies and accessories for MRI and motion control applications.
Performance Controls, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Using diverse engineering knowledge, innovative thinking and computer design tools, backed by experience, the Power Electronics Engineer is responsible for many or all aspects of the conception, specification, design, project requirements and procedural requirements associated with a new product development program. Other responsibilities include continuation engineering support to Manufacturing, Procurement and Quality for ongoing product and manufacturing issue resolution; technical support to Sales & Marketing associated with customer support requests, proposals and quotations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Perform electronic circuit and power electronic assembly design with deep consideration for performance, reliability, mechanical/thermal/noise requirements, DFM, EMC and regulatory compliance.
· Develop printed circuit board layout concepts, specifications and documentation for circuit designs and provide close guidance to PCB designer during the PCB layout process.
· Generate conceptual mechanical designs, consistent with electrical and thermal design requirements, to assist mechanical engineering in optimizing the design of electromechanical assemblies.
· Exercise good judgment in all aspects of the design process including: new techniques, technical risks and timeliness, development cost, final product cost, product performance, manufacturability, reliability, features, ruggedness, and physical properties.
· Work closely, cooperatively and effectively as part of a product development team. Accept responsibility for the design aspects of product development and the assurance of design performance in accordance with schedule and specifications. Provide time and cost estimates for such work for use in planning product costs, schedules and department budgets.
· Perform design and analysis of power converters, inverters and motor drives over a typical range of 0.5 kW to 100 kW.
· Perform and document low and high power testing of prototypes in support of design verification
· Generate schematics and bills of material using schematic capture software.
· Generate test procedure and other required product documentation
· Conceive and generate product or sub-assembly specifications in support of product design and development efforts.
· Perform analysis, evaluations, testing and reporting in support of design decisions, quality issues and product design characterization, verification and validation
· Apply design expertise to help in developing product specifications and assuring that design output meets both specified design goals and specified and/or unspecified product validation requirements.
· Develop and carry out test plans and prepare summary reports for new product development efforts or field quality problem resolution
· Work with vendors to procure prototype parts or help establish cost effective designs.
· Document and maintain design results in a clear and understandable manner in accordance with current company policies, procedures and practices
· Work closely, cooperatively and effectively with other company departments as new and existing designs pass through those departments
· Assist Sales & Marketing and provide input and support with proposals, quotations and customer visits
· Perform all duties in a professional, timely and efficient manner within prescribed time and budget limitations
· Keep current with latest advancements in technology and design/simulation tools within areas of expertise
· Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
a. Experience with PWM techniques and design of related power stage topologies
b. Experience designing with Power MOSFETS and IGBTS including reliable gate drive designs
c. Experience in analog and digital (including CPLD and FPGA) circuit design for control, modulation, protection and communication
d. Experience in successfully guiding the layout of power and control printed circuit boards to implement effectively and in a timely manner the product realization of a schematic design.
· Team player with strong leadership attributes
· Able to manage multiple tasks and set priorities
· Able to work independently to analyze and resolve problems and create new designs with little supervision
· Able to work comfortably and effectively with a design team
· Flexible – priorities can change in a short time
· Creative – able to conceive of clever electrical, thermal, and mechanical design solutions
· Tenacious – enjoys the challenge of perfecting and optimizing designs within schedule time constraints
· Enjoys hands-on work
· Service oriented
· Open-minded and desire to learn
· Creates plans and works towards goals
· Able to complete tasks with short deadlines
· Self-starter who can work without close supervision
· Well organized and productive
· Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
· Proven achiever
· Technically oriented and analytical when necessary
· Comfortable with a small company environment and willing to own a problem or project
· Desire to mentor junior-level engineers
· Good communication skills, both verbal and written
· History of proposing and developing concepts, products and methodologies with proven payoffs
· History of providing leadership on assigned projects applying knowledge and sensitivity to company goals and financial constraints
· Plus: Experience designing with DSPs and/or FPGAs to implement advanced digital control and modulation algorithms.
· Plus: Experience designing high frequency magnetics and transformers for use in PWM designs
· Plus: Experience with or knowledge of controlling and driving electrical machines such as brush and brushless DC motors, and induction motors
· Able to talk and clearly communicate with other employees, management and customers via telephone or face to face
· Able to prepare reports, requests, e-mails and other similar written communications
· Able to use a computer for documentation, communication, simulation, data entry, etc.
· Able to travel alone by car and air
· Able to operate safely and effectively in a high-voltage power electronics laboratory.
· Able to safely use small power tools and hand tools
· Able to independently and safely lift items weighing up to 50 pounds
· Domestic and International travel (< 10%).