Job ID: 44181
Date Posted: Oct 15, 2019
Segment: Smart Life
Business Unit: Hitachi Healthcare
Company Name: Performance Controls, Inc.
Profession (Job Category): Engineering
Job Type (Experience Level): Experienced
Job Schedule: Full-time
Performance Controls, Inc. (PCI) manufactures high performance Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) amplifiers used in Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and in motion control applications which directly relate to the quality of life for people around the world. In MRI applications, our amplifiers improve image quality to better diagnose and treat disease. As an example of a motion control application, our amplifiers are used in airport Doppler weather radar systems contributing to the outstanding takeoff and landing safety record of airlines operating in the US. We have contributed to the state-of the-art of PWM power, and received numerous patents for our developments. To learn more about us, our products, and our applications, please visit our website: www.pcipa.com.
We are a growing company driven by challenging applications, world class engineering, and a desire to make a difference in the world. We are looking for quality people who want to make a difference.
Performance Controls, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
The Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer applies principles and understanding of AC input control circuit design, basic electrical circuit design, wiring and cabling design, electronics cooling and thermal design, printed circuit board design and regulatory compliance requirements to conceive, develop, prototype, and document the electro-mechanical design of electronic products such as servo amplifiers, gradient amplifiers and related power supplies and accessories for MRI and motion control applications.
· Conceive and design the electro-mechanical packaging for power electronic products ranging from simple modules to full-cabinet enclosure designs
· Work closely with electrical and mechanical engineers in developing the overall product package design to meet exacting electrical, thermal, mechanical, environmental and compliance specifications for product design
· Select AC input electrical components (fusing, circuit breakers, contactors, line filters, cabling, electrical interconnects, etc.) and design/document related electrical circuits
· Select mechanical components (clamps, standoffs, brackets, hardware, fans, etc.) and design/document related mechanical assemblies and structures.
· Assemble and evaluate product prototypes while ensuring product design specifications, including design for manufacturability, have been satisfied and the product is ready for production release.
· Work with Documentation Control Group to fully document the top level product; documentation includes Bills of Material (BOMs), Assembly Drawings, cable and wiring drawings and diagrams, family trees, block diagrams and schematics.
· Work with manufacturing engineers during pilot runs and use feedback to improve manufacturability
· Support product continuation engineering efforts over product life
· Team player with strong leadership attributes
· Able to manage multiple tasks and set priorities
· Able to work independently to analyze and resolve problems and create new designs with little supervision
· Able to work comfortably and effectively with a design team
· Flexible – priorities can change in a short time
· Creative – able to conceive of clever electrical, thermal, and mechanical design solutions
· Tenacious – enjoys the challenge of perfecting and optimizing designs within schedule time constraints
· Enjoys hands-on work
· Service oriented
· Open-minded and desire to learn
· Creates plans and works towards goals
· Able to complete tasks with short deadlines
· Self-starter who can work without close supervision
· Well organized and productive
· Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
· Proven achiever
· Technically oriented and analytical when necessary
· Comfortable with a small company environment and willing to own a problem or project
· Familiarity with the National Electrical Code for power cable and fuse selection
· Solid understanding of AC input electrical circuits, components and component selection including fuses, wire/cable (wire gage sizing and insulation selection), circuit breakers, contactors, Power I/O terminals, Line filtering.
· Excellent “wireman” and product mechanical design (packaging) layout skills: Typically builds the first prototype system, positions major components and assemblies with consideration to cooling, both forced-air and liquid, and determines how to mount and route cabling, both power and signal, for mechanical integrity and avoidance of electrical noise corruption to signal lines.
· Able to interpret/understand safety standards’ requirements for grounding/bonding, spacing/separation, dielectric strength, leakage currents, insulation, shock prevention, dielectric testing methods, etc., and apply this understanding to the product’s design
· Able to interpret/understand environmental requirements and apply this understanding to the product’s design
· Product Documentation; specifically assembly drawings and BOMs. Once the prototype is designed, it needs to be documented; this is part of the job. Requires good writing and documentation skills.
· Electrical chassis design
· Mechanical skills: Requires skilled use of common tools, familiarity with English and Metric hardware, establishing and documenting torque requirements.
· Software Design Tools: Preferably SolidWorks, but we also use AutoCAD for legacy products and some cable drawings; PADS schematic capture, Excel/Word. We use Microsoft Dynamics AX (but we’ll be moving to AX 365) for our MIS (Part master and BOMs).
· Good communication skills, both verbal and written
· History of providing leadership on assigned projects applying knowledge and sensitivity to company goals and financial constraints
· Able to talk and clearly communicate with other employees, management and vendors via telephone or face to face
· Able to prepare reports, requests, e-mails and other similar written communications
· Able to use a computer for documentation, communication, CAD, data entry, etc.
· Able to travel alone by car and air
· Able to operate safely and effectively in a high-voltage power electronics laboratory.
· Able to safely use small power tools and hand tools
· Able to independently and safely lift items weighing up to 50 pounds
· Domestic and International travel (< 10%).