Hitachi Rail Europe is looking to ‘Inspire the Next’ generation of graduates to join our business. You will have the opportunity to work for one of the fastest growing rail companies in the UK and to collaborate with some of the best engineers in the business.
If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of we would like to hear from you!
Hitachi Rail Europe Ltd is a leading manufacturer in total railway solutions, covering rolling stock, signalling, service delivery and traffic management. Our Global Head Office is located in Central London and we currently operate from project offices across the UK, several depot locations and our new state-of-the-art rail vehicle manufacturing facility in Newton Aycliffe.
Our Class 395 Javelin trains currently in operation on the HS1 route have proven our capability in the UK, based on a blend of British and Japanese technical expertise. The Intercity Express Programme and Abellio ScotRail franchise award will see our teams deliver over 200 new trains over the next two years. We are now looking to expand our operations further to build upon our global reputation for quality, reliability, innovation, design and technological leadership.
We are expanding our train building capability and have brought train building back to the UK and we need YOU to inspire the next.
As Hitachi Rail Europe continues to grow, there are more and more exciting career opportunities. We need you to help build the trains of the future.
Hitachi Rail Europe is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications, we are also a member of the WISE campaign which inspires girls and women to study and build careers using science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM).
We welcome applicants with a relevant engineering masters degree and ideally some form of engineering related work experience, although this is not mandatory.
Our structured programme - MPDS
- Work in accordance with a planned programme of placements within a range of business units in the company and under the direction of senior managers with a focus on engineering based placements.
- Support engineering and project management activities by production of materials to deliver the objectives of the placement.
- Attend and where possible lead meetings with customers and suppliers to achieve goals.
- Present solutions and reach agreement with customers to achieve mutually acceptable engineering and commercial solutions.
- Manage consultants and other suppliers within budget.
- Attend training courses as instructed to develop industry and technical knowledge together with personal development.
- Enrol into the company Monitored Professional Development Scheme (MPDS) progressing to Incorporated or Chartered status.
- The MDPS for each person will be tailored to your individual needs and agreed with your mentor. The scheme will focus on the needs of the developing engineer in terms of a programme that leads to the successful completion of the application to the IMechE or IET.
- The railway industry is a complicated place to work and develop a career; it is also technically challenging to understand. Therefore the programme will include formal training as well as work placements to assist the developing engineer in understanding the technical content of the railway as a system together with the relationships between elements of the industry.
- However the role of an engineer in a global and dynamic company is as much about people skills as it is technical ability and so the programme we devise for each developing engineer will include a range of additional skills activities and training. For example, 360 feedback, personal profiling, leadership and active listening. To be aware of and actively promote and implement Hitachi’s ethos, culture and values.
It is our expectation that successful applicants should be able to demonstrate the majority of the experience and skills listed below:Essential Requirements
We are looking for candidates who are able to demonstrate behaviours that closely align to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and a Pioneering Spirit. This includes candidates who:-
Experience and Skills
- Are proud of the work they do.
- Want to contribute to society through the products they make. Our trains will help people get to where they want to be safely and comfortably.
- Are enthusiastic about volunteering in Community projects
- Deliver what they say they will deliver.
- Enjoy their work and sharing successes.
- Collaborate with colleagues – reach decisions by consensus.
- Communicate honestly and openly, with respect.
- Can work comfortably and inclusively across cultures.
- Value everyone’s contributions and show open mindedness.
- Have a positive outlook and a can do attitude.
- Some relevant professional industry/work experience is desirable.
- Must hold a Masters degree in Engineering.
- Exposure to commercial negotiations preferably
- Highly motivated
- Demonstrates perseverance, patience and commitment for long term success
- Highly organised and excellent time management skills
- Enjoys challenges and problem solving
- The ability to work well under pressure
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Commitment to working as part of a team
- An appreciation of health and safety requirements of a working environment
Please note: this vacancy is for an electrical/mechanical graduate programme. Please state which discipline you are applying for.
Applicants must hold a masters degree, this is an essential requirement.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK and we regret that we are not able to provide VISA sponsorship for this position.
Closing Date - 1st March 2019