Hitachi Rail is looking to ‘Inspire the Next’ generation to join our business. You will have the opportunity to work for one of the fastest growing rail companies in the UK and to collaborate with some of the best engineers in the business.
If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of we would like to hear from you!
Hitachi Rail Ltd is a leading manufacturer in total railway solutions, covering rolling stock, signalling, service delivery and traffic management. Our Global Head Office is located in Central London and we currently operate from project offices across the UK, several depot locations and our new state-of-the-art rail vehicle manufacturing facility in Newton Aycliffe.
We are expanding our train building capability and have brought train building back to the UK and we need YOU to inspire the next.
As Hitachi Rail Ltd continues to grow, there are more and more exciting career opportunities. We need you to help build the trains of the future.
Hitachi Rail Ltd is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications, we are also a member of the WISE campaign which inspires girls and women to study and build careers using science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM).
The Data Science Engineer Intern will assist in improving the rolling stock service quality and equipment reliability through the design and implementation of predictive and condition based maintenance tools/algorithms for improving workflows and optimising maintenance processes.
The Data Science Engineer Intern will employ data science, machine learning and statistical analysis techniques in order to extract value from a wealth of operational data.
This is an excellent opportunity to apply and develop techniques and expertise learned at university in the real world.
- Analysis of diagnostic and maintenance data.
- Querying historical data from SQL databases.
- Performing statistical analysis on collected data to identify critical trends and conditions.
- Manage the design and distribution of periodic prognostic reports.
- Define and implement prognostic algorithms using coding languages such as (but not limited to) Python, R, MATLAB.
- Assist with management of the Hitachi Rail Fleet Monitoring Tool event definition process from requirements gathering through to development and implementation.
- To adhere to the
Hitachi Rail Europe’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
- To comply with and
implement Hitachi Rail Europe’s Health and Safety policy.
- To undertake any
other reasonable duties and responsibilities as may be required.
Key Skills and Experience
It is our expectation that successful applicants should be able to demonstrate all of the experience and skills listed below:
- Familiar with writing SQL queries.
- Familiar with coding in at least one of Python, MATLAB, R or Java.
- Experience of statistical analysis including quality control, multiple linear regression models, logistic regression, discriminant analysis, re-sampling techniques.
- Experience of big data analysis techniques, both supervised and unsupervised machine learning.
- Capability to understand the engineering function of rolling stock equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- An understanding of health and safety requirements of a working environment.
- An undergraduate degree in Data Science, Engineering, Computer Science or similar.
Closing Date 31st May 2020