Within Hitachi’s Global Research & Development group we have an exciting new opportunity for a Senior Research Engineer who will be involved with maintenance research and innovation
activities across several industry sectors. The successful candidate will be
highly motivated with a strong interest in the design and application of digital
solutions for improvement of maintenance approaches. In return, this role will
offer the opportunity to be involved in a variety of different areas covering
industries from railways to industrial manufacturing and energy systems.
Company and Business Group Overview
Hitachi is a Company that contributes to society through the development of
technology and products that are both superior and original. Hitachi’s Founding
Concepts of harmony, trust, honesty, integrity and pioneering spirit have
guided Hitachi’s growth into a flourishing, technologically diverse and
The Transportation, Energy & Environment
Laboratory (TEEL), is part of the European R&D Centre, located in central
London. The TEEL team has a mission to create and validate innovation, primarily
in the Rail and Energy sectors, leveraging Hitachi’s technologies and customer
co-creation and is also supporting other sectors such as manufacturing. As part of Hitachi’s Global R&D Group,
the TEEL team also work and co-create with other European laboratories covering
Automotive, Industry, Big Data and Service Design; Hitachi’s other global
research centres around the world; and several Technology Innovation research
laboratories in Japan.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Report to Laboratory Manager : Head of R&D for Rail
- Make collaborative decisions with Laboratory Manager,
General Manager, planning office staff and team managers regarding resource
allocation. Work independently, under the general guidance of the LM, plan and
organise the workload of a small team of maintenance researchers.
- Monitor market trends and engage in longer term R&D
strategy development and planning.
- Design solutions, the use cases and the business
cases that can address the business opportunities or threats and identify the
technical issues to be resolved in creating solutions that are feasible in
terms of functionality and performance.
- Provide business led technical solutions based on AI
& data analytics.
- Engage with Hitachi Rail business unit managers and
the front-line maintenance staff to gain understanding of business issues, to
identify and shape R&D group involvement and to collaborative overcome the
internal barriers to implementation of digital solutions.
- When requested, work with Hitachi Social Innovation
Business for concept development and demonstrations with new customers and emerging
business opportunities related to maintenance and digital solutions.
- Continue the development and future support to
existing TEEL maintenance solutions for rail and industry sectors.
- Preparing and submitting patents on the technical
solutions to provide competitive advantage and protect Hitachi’s IP; and, after
obtaining appropriate protection, publishing technical results. Stimulate the
Team members to patenting.
- Present the results of the research activities
within Hitachi R&D as well as in conference and journal publications.
- Build and maintain strong connections with
colleagues of Hitachi R&D in Japan, including traveling to Japan when
- Follow and evaluate opportunities to participate in
EU research activities and consortia,
- Share and discuss the EU trends with Hitachi
R&D centres in Japan.
Skills & Experience
The following skills and
experience are required:
- Strong academic background, Master’s degree in
Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or in a related field (such as Physics) is
essential. A PhD would be preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years’ of experience in a maintenance
environment is essential and to be supported by experience of asset management
policies and maintenance management systems is desirable.
- An understanding of digital technology (IT and OT) and
approaches to developing digital solutions to support maintenance strategies in
one or more industries is essential.
- Proven experience and capability in designing and
setting up rapid demonstrators, as well as analysing, reporting and discussing
the results and conclusions is essential.
- Experience of working in consortiums and
partnerships with other companies and customers is desirable.
- Experience across IoT, digital twins, data
analytics is desirable.
- Strong cultural awareness with the ability to lead
small teams and to work and interact with people from various continents and
cultural backgrounds is preferred.
- Good communication skills, written and
presentations are essential, and a second spoken language, preferably Japanese,
would be desirable.
- Capability and interest in data analysis and
algorithm development, programming, database and web-based hosting (Python, Grafana,
SQL Server, Amazon, Web Service, etc.) are essential.
Company Funded Benefits:
Generous holiday entitlement - with the option to buy up to 8 days extra per year
A holiday banking scheme allowing you to bank untaken holiday to use another year
Group Personal Pension
Private Medical Insurance with self-funded option to increase cover to include family members
Employee Assistance Programme available to all employees plus immediate family
Personal Accident Insurance
Voluntary Benefits (funded by employee) include: