Hitachi Vantara, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., guides our customers from what's now to what's next by solving their digital challenges. Working alongside each customer, we apply our unmatched industrial and digital capabilities to their data and applications to benefit both business and society. More than 80% of the Fortune 100 trust Hitachi Vantara to help them develop new revenue streams, unlock competitive advantages, lower costs, enhance customer experiences, and deliver social and environmental value.The Role
As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for developing and transforming the software that powers Hitachi's Unified Compute Platform line of business, a multi hundred-million-dollar product line. In this role, you will be a key member of an energetic and high-velocity team that brings cutting edge Cloud-Native technologies (e.g. Kubernetes) to the world of bare metal cloud. Successful candidate will be very hands-on and work closely with senior management to drive both the strategy and execution of software development and QA activities as this product line matures. This means that you will lead the team through the adoption and continuous improvement of agile development practices, automated testing, rapid delivery, and just-in-time planning.Responsibilities
- Lead a team of software engineers in the design, development, test, deployment and operation of the Management Software, UCP Advisor.
- Contribute directly to our growth by hiring smart and motivated engineers and architects to establish teams that can deliver swiftly and predictably, adjusting in an agile fashion to deliver what our customers need.
- Be responsible for ensuring sanity of architecture, operational excellence and quality, delivering results on time.
- Work closely with other teams across Hitachi Vantara to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership.
- Regularly dive into architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations to drive excellence through your organization.
- Represent your business and operations to the highest level of leadership within Hitachi Vantara on a weekly basis.
- Work with product management to maintain the product backlog and understand feature requests to develop uses cases and stories.
- Work with employees to coordinate work activities and resolve issues; conduct one on one conversations with your team members; set team performance and skill growth goals; evaluate and coach team members to achieve goals; establish strong connections with all employees.
- Periodically assess staffing needs and appropriate levels; participate in recruiting and drive team contribution.
- Work closely with global development teams.
- Work with Talent Acquisition to recruit and hire strong engineers in a competitive hiring climate.
- Own the technical output of the UCP product team. Ensure high technical standards by instituting processes (architecture - code reviews, testing) and culture (engineering excellence). Review and drive long term technical direction of the UCP product.
- Directly manage both engineers and engineering managers. Provide feedback and guide promotions and leveling process.
- Work to scope and plan key deliverables. Work with engineering managers and IC's to ensure project planning of key initiatives.
- Coordinate within the organization alongside PM, marketing, support and sales to ensure delivery of key initiatives. Influence product strategy alongside the PM team.
- 8+ years of engineering management experience with 6+ years of hands-on experience building and managing development teams.
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master-s degree in Computer Engineering or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience in delivering software projects using Agile / Scrum methodologies; experience introducing and growing an agile (Scrum) environment with short cycles; working with product managers using agile methodologies to deliver high quality solutions on time.
- Skilled in providing technical leadership and architectural guidance.
- Start-up experience is highly desired.
- Great at hiring and developing high caliber talent, especially leadership
- Great at implementing efficient processes that increase velocity and quality
- Managed teams that build and operate high volume distributed systems in a SaaS environment
- Solid understanding of distributed systems and building services on top of containers
- Has experience scaling engineering orgs to 50+
- An understanding of the challenges that developers face when selecting an infrastructure platform, and a vision for how great products can help
- Proven experience and domain knowledge in the cloud computing space, preferably building and delivering Kubernetes products - services
- Hands-on working knowledge of technologies such as Kubernetes, Containers, Istio and Prometheus are a plus
- Prior experience working with remote teams is a plus
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.