Hitachi Vantara, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., guides our customers from what's now to what's next by solving their digital challenges. Working alongside each customer, we apply our unmatched industrial and digital capabilities to their data and applications to benefit both business and society. More than 80% of the Fortune 100 trust Hitachi Vantara to help them develop new revenue streams, unlock competitive advantages, lower costs, enhance customer experiences, and deliver social and environmental value.The Role
The Principal Consultant acts as a lead consultant during the implementation of large programs, transformation projects and provides subject matter expertise within a specific domain (Storage) or technology. The Principal Consultant is required to deliver defined business outcomes and lead the implementation team in deploying Storage technology in adherence to the agreed solution design. The Principal Consultant may also provide advice on the proposed solution, with an objective of upselling Hitachi Vantara services and solutions. Principal Consultants also provide leadership, coaching and support to other technical consultants (from Global Delivery), motivating them and inspiring them to perform at their best during their engagement on a program. The Principal Consultant provides the necessary advice to the Practice Principal and the Engagement Manager to ensure that custom elements of a solution can be built, are fully supported and that deliverables are clearly defined and agreed with the customer at the point of sale.Responsibilities
- Where required, support the Practice Principal in providing pioneering Storage subject matter expertise to the Pre-Sales and Sales Team and work with the account teams and Services Sales Principals to advise on the best possible solution, challenging current practice to drive innovation in everything we do.
- Pro-actively manages and leads the delivery of Customer-focused workshops, showing agility, flexibility and a capability to be creative in solutioning, whilst aligning to the Hitachi line of business products and services.
- Act as the lead consultant and delivery Storage subject matter expert in both a pre-sales context and on delivery engagements. Execute projects according to the agreed work plan under direction of the Engagement Manager, and where necessary, direct Global Delivery consultants in their delivery tasks and ensure quality outcomes for Customers as a result.
- Provide project status information to Engagement Managers or Project Managers, including risk identification, task delay and task completion estimates. Validate with the Project or Engagement Manager that the completion expectations have been met.
- Proactively alert Project or Engagement Manager of potential problems based upon strong working knowledge of software and hardware compatibility within the customer-s environment.
- Responsible for creating comprehensive documentation around solution design and project delivery. Works closely with Solution Architect team to fully understand the design and implementation to be delivered to the Customer.
- Informs the Engagement or Project Manager when a Customer requests an activity or deliverable that may be beyond the Statement of Work.
- Identify, analyze and manage technical risks within projects and make strategic decisions on what will be the most effective use of resources to drive increased profitability.
- Participate in strategic project review sessions to share materials or lessons learned with the wider services team. Principal Consultants play a critical role in the knowledge feedback loop with Unified Offering Management (UOM) for refining existing solutions and the creation of new service offerings.
- Develop skills and work with the manager to attend prescribed/requested training as defined in the training scheudle, demonstrating accountability for keeping own performance on track and a commitment to personal learning and development. Ensuring technical skills are at the forefront of subject matter expertise.
- Create or manage the creation of detailed technical designs from high level solution designs based on analysis of Customer's environment and requirements.
- Provide guidance to local teams or third party Partners to collaborate and implement the technical solution, build mutual support and and develop an understanding with colleagues across functions.
- Provide subject matter expertise to troubleshoot implementation and operational issues, tailoring information, insights and arguments for different stakeholders.
- Seek advice and escalate to management for assistance and or relevant support as required during critical customer situations by adhering to documented escalation procedures.
- Build relationship with associated Principal Consultants in other Hitachi territories and practices to share knowledge and review/validate intended project approach, provide a clear sense of direction, by aligning goals, objectives and priorities to business strategy.
- Prepares, maintains and submits activity/progress reports and time recording/management reports in accordance with published procedures.
- Assist in or be responsible for the creation of knowledge management articles and perform all knowledge management tasks in accordance with defined processes, procedures and personal KPIs
- Effectively represent Hitachi in a professional manner to the customer at all times.
- Mentor Global Delivery Technical Consultants within specialist areas.
- Willingness to work on a flexible schedule and travel where required.
- Certified consultant or technology equivalent accredited in specialist area.
- At least 9 years of technical IT-related experience.
- Minimum 7 years of technical consultancy and enterprise experience.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience within Hitachi Storage technologies, a similar competitor, end user or IT consultancy services provider.
- Business or similar degree qualification preferred.
- Appreciation of multiple technology platforms.
- Deep understanding of managed infrastructure technologies and how they can be deployed to fit customer solution requirements.
- A willingness to take the lead on projects and programs with new technologies and disseminate knowledge and feedback to the wider team.
- Demonstrating leadership versatility - lead by example,motivate and inspire others, able to interact successfully with customers, vendors and employees at all levels in the organisation.
- Proactive delivery - striving to exceed expectations, demonstrating accountability for keeping own performance on track.
- Conflict management - able to remain calm under pressure and able to diffuse difficult situations by effectively managing customer expectations.
- Persuasive influencing - tailoring information, insights and arguments for different stakeholders.
- Critical thinking - able to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Communication and presentation skills - strong ability to present and translate very complex storage solutions or strategies into simple to understand clear concepts and objectives for project execution.
- Team work - building mutual support and understanding with colleagues across functions.
- Setting direction - providing clear sense of direction by aligning goals, objectives and priorities to business strategies.
- Driving continuous improvements - challenging current practice to drive innovation in everything they do.
- Owning your development - demonstrating commitment to personal learning and development.
- Operates with the highest integrity and effectively role models and upholds our Company Values, the Hitachi Spirit.Exposure to leading large complex project and programs.
- Subject matter expertise and rating on the various skill areas within The Hitachi University.
- Engagement and feedback from Project Managers and Hitachi Vantara Sales personnel to include the Consultant in future projects.
- Billable and Utilization percentage as a function of time-reporting.
- Stakeholder Management skills; Clearly and effectively communicates with Customers and ensures that Custom¬ers understand and have visibility to activities and deliverables as required demonstrating company values in all customer interactions.
- Delivery of new and updated services as developed within Hitachi Vantara.
- Experience with/exposure to working in high-risk technical environments and with challenging customers.
- Experience with high-profile accounts and contribution to shape Professional Service delivery within those customers.
- Flexibility; a willingness to do whatever it takes for the greater good for the project.
- Communication; ability to communicate effectively and professionally with all functions of Hitachi Vantara and customers.
- Actively supports and participates in a culture of knowledge sharing
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.