Head of Finance Planning & Analysis
This is a pan European role working alongside the various business departments, providing financial information, tools, analysis and insight to executives, challenging their thinking, helping them make more informed decisions and driving business strategy. The role provides 'real time' support and analysis and requires the incumbent to become a trusted adviser who is able to add value that will assist in decision making. This role reports to the HEU Finance Director.
The focus of this role is strategic. This is a senior position, carrying personal responsibility for the management and delivery of the FP&A Business Partnering service to clients and other Hitachi customers. The role requires broad finance knowledge and understanding, business expertise and a deep understanding of the Operating Company’s business drivers and reporting systems.
The role will lead the Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) organisation; ensuring development of the organisation to meet HEU strategic business and customer objectives including structures, systems, resources and capability planning. The role requires the provision of financial support, advice and guidance in key decisions relating to operations, planning and investment projects such that the financial perspective and implications are fully understood and considered.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
1. Finance Planning and Analysis Business Partner Leadership
- Provide direction and guidance to Finance Business Partners in FP&A, ensure they function effectively and collaboratively in the delivery of a high-quality service to HEU and other Hitachi customers and operate successfully as part of the F&A organization. This is currently a team of 5 and could increase in the future.
- Ensure strategies and plans are in place to drive the development of the Finance Business Partner service that are consistent with best practice and in line with F&A strategic objectives.
- Define the FP&A Business Partner service and ensure service levels to be delivered are consistent with F&A and Hitachi corporate frameworks and engage with senior Operating Company stakeholders to ensure this service meets their needs.
- Work with direct reports to ensure they are fully able to deliver the agreed service.
2. Service delivery
- Provide advice and guidance to senior line management concerning financial matters so as to improve their knowledge and understanding, and to increase the general awareness of financial planning, management and control in the business.
- Lead all budget (short and mid-term) and forecast processes ensuring information is produced, consolidated, analysed distributed such that line management is fully briefed and informed on present and forecast cost and budget performance including operating profit and working capital.
- Review financial statements and management accounts to ensure these represent an accurate reflection of financial performance, including income, cost, transfer price, asset value and asset records, Group recharges (rent, rates, other recharges, etc.), consultancy fees, etc.
- Ensure reconciliation of monthly sales and orders, analysis of margins by product groups, customers and shipments including specific balance sheet items in order that the accounting and financial position in the accounts accurately reflect the actual position.
- Manage relationships with key partners and stakeholders to ensure that financial perspectives are reflected in all key business decisions.
3. Service management
- Work with the F&A organisation to deliver accurate management reporting, planning, forecasting and financial analysis to support the Hitachi Operating Company’s business.
- Ensure management of the day to day relationship with information providers and other F&A units and ensure that service supply is achieved to meet agreed levels of service and compliance.
4. Technical expertise
- Ensure technical knowledge of all relevant financial policies and processes is maintained within the team, including incorporating external best practices into the service. Share expertise and latest corporate and external thinking on good practice and best tools within the team, F&A communities and Operating companies.
5. Stakeholder management
- Engage with senior stakeholders in Operating Companies and Hitachi Corporate, to ensure the business partnering service meets customer and corporate requirements.
- Anticipate and respond to changes in customer needs that may impact on the Business Partnering organisation.
6. Supporting the HEU business
- Work closely with senior stakeholders in HEU Ltd to identify opportunities for increasing support delivered by the Business Partner team and ensure these are delivered effectively.
- Ensure the effective integration of new business and new Hitachi operating companies into the BP operating model including improve, expand and develop BP service scope and offering to accommodate changing demands of customers.
7. Medium term business plan and Budget management
- Set the medium-term business plan and budget for the BP organisation; ensure agreed cost targets are met and the overall business case is achieved.
- Ensure medium term business
Skills & Experience
- Requires knowledge of accounting policy and procedures across Europe Operating Companies and financial jurisdictions.
- Requires good knowledge of accounting conventions and legislation.
- Able to communicate with line management in order to establish a positive working relationship and to convey financial information clearly and concisely.
- Requires a fully qualified accountant, previous experience in working in a multinational corporation would be an advantage.
- Customers will be internal to Hitachi Europe Ltd or Hitachi and based in EMEA, will include some communication and contact with financial staff based abroad. It is a requirement of the job to ensure that line management is fully briefed and aware of the financial implications of line performance and that the implication of decisions on financial performance is understood.
- Working with line management from a number of business units based in EMEA.
Hitachi Europe is made up of 5 legal entities in Europe (UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain). The total revenue for Hitachi Europe is approximately £200 million. This role will also develop in providing FP&A services to a customer base of 30 plus Hitachi Operating Companies who themselves generate a further £1 billion of revenue.
Hitachi Europe Ltd. is a social innovation company with headquarters based in Maidenhead, England. The company’s European operations employ over 550 people to deliver services and solutions to customers in several key business areas. The company's portfolio includes digital media products, industrial components and equipment, European procurement and sourcing, research and design and information systems.
HEU is also responsible for managing a Shared Services Group that provides the Company's business units with a range of innovative and effective common services that deliver value, create ‘lean’ processes and support growth and development - including HR, IT, Legal, Finance, Public Affairs and Business Development.
Company Funded Benefits
- Market competitive salary and discretionary bonus scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement - with the option to buy up to an additional 8 days per year
- A Holiday Banking scheme allowing you to bank untaken holiday to use another year
- Group Personal Pension
- Private Medical Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme available to all employees
- Personal Accident Insurance
Voluntary Benefits (funded by employee) including;
- Cycle To Work scheme
- Gym Membership
- Dental Insurance with option to include dependent children
- Health screening
- Dining card