Hitachi Vantara, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., guides our customers from what's now to what's next by solving their digital challenges. Working alongside each customer, we apply our unmatched industrial and digital capabilities to their data and applications to benefit both business and society. More than 80% of the Fortune 100 trust Hitachi Vantara to help them develop new revenue streams, unlock competitive advantages, lower costs, enhance customer experiences, and deliver social and environmental value.
Each and every person at Hitachi Vantara has a positive impact. The ways we act, lead and work create outcomes that matter. Collectively, we are part of a strong culture of teams that collaborate to reach a common goal. Join us and bring your passion for innovation and creating what's next.The Role
The role of the Storage Operations Engineer
is a customer facing service operation position in Hitachi Vantara's Managed Services division. This individual supports a L2/L3 operations team responsible for the delivery of Storage as a Service (StaaS) to a specific client based on agreed SLAs, maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction.
The Block Storage Engineer will be involved in daily operations, complex incident and problem resolution and will build a technical gateway to Hitachi Vantara's delivery organisation and introduce of new methods, tools and technologies based on the corporate availability to the team, to increase the efficiency of storage operations. Managing the integration of selected innovations into daily operations is part of the role as well as contribution to increase the level of automation. This individual guarantees the stability and seamless operation of Hitachi Vanara's storage estate, specifically the block and unified storage. The role requires readiness for working in Shift System as well as On-Call out of hours rota.Responsibilities
Role as Block Storage Engineer with aspects of an Architect role for Hitachi Block and Unified Storage
Gateway between Hitachi local delivery team, Product Engineering (internal and other vendors) and the Customer Managed Service Operations Team
- Leading complex Incidents/tasks and changes remotely to the clients infrastructure,
Performance, Capacity and Load analysis for the customer environment and recommendation of measures to ensure stable and efficient operational conditions
- Complex root cause analysis in context of stability issues for Block and Unified Storage
Planning, Coordination and Installation of complex system software upgrades (Microcode etc.) following customer processes and procedures
- Take technical ownership of assigned incidents, problems, changes or other tasks (troubleshooting, customer workshops, etc.) whilst guaranteeing the SLAs, thereby supporting the L2/L3 block storage team
- Report to the regional Service Delivery Manager to highlight improvement potential and technical innovations for the block storage service and architecture
- Training of team members
- Participation of on Shift system rotation as well as On-Call rotation
- Minimum of 1 year client systems support and minimum 5 years of IT work experience
- Must demonstrate a strong understanding of Block and Unified storage concepts and software
- Wide experience in Infrastructure environments/architectures (Storage, Network, Compute)
- Understanding of IT service Management processes and methods (ITIL)
- Ability to work with minimal supervision - self-motivated and self-contained
- Analytical and problem resolving attitude
- Programming/Scripting Capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities
- Willing to learn and pick up new technologies quickly
- Communicating highly technical information adequately to both technical and non-technical personnel
- Fluent written and spoken English language, German would be an asset
- At least Bachelor's degree (preferred in IT or related field)
- Hands-on experience on Enterprise storage arrays preferably Hitachi, but not essentially.
- Expert level knowledge on Hitachi toolset or similar.
- Hands-on experience on Configuring and Managing storage replication
- In-depth knowledge on storage Virtualization - Migration techniques.
- Performance Analysis, Troubleshooting and Problem Determination.
- Experience in verification/validation and planning for required patches / microcode upgrade.
- Hands on experience in configuring and managing the RAID Groups, Storage pools and Storage tiering.
- Understanding and having good hands on experience on performance analysis using Brocade network advisor.
- Hands on experience on SAN fabric, Virtual Fabric (VSAN), FCIP Configuration - management.
- Knowledge on remote operations including configuring SAN Switches, adding new switch to an existing fabric (ISL - ICL), merging switch fabrics, Trunking, Switch Migrations - Code upgrades.
- Experience of incident management, working with multiple vendor resolver groups of technical incidents
- Ability to perform Root Cause Analysis on storage issues.
- Able to assist Team Members, Mentor New Joiners in the team and Perform as an Individual Contributor.
- Ability to understand Business requirements - translate them into technology solutions, Implement Best Practices.
- Ownership of Infrastructure and responsible for service uptime / availability
- Prepare / Maintain SOPs and Operational Run books, follow ITIL processes - Incident management, Problem management, Change management, Performance management, Capacity management, Configuration - availability management activities
- Participate in Change - release management
- Plan - Implement routine, normal - complex changes
- Knowledge about using ticketing system for daily operations - Remedy / ServiceNow
- Ability to lead escalations - within Storage and cross platform
- Participate or lead storage projects independently
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.