Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are working to Inspire the Next – and this is your chance to be part of it.
Your new role
In this exciting role you will be responsible for undertaking maintenance, repair and fault finding of fixed and mobile plant and infrastructure. Supervising and monitoring of contractors and 3rd party stakeholders as required. This is a permanent position working a shift pattern, based at our state of the art train maintenance centre in Bristol.
In this role you will be responsible for routine preventative and corrective maintenance tasks, first line inspection, call out, electrical and mechanical fault finding and repair to all Train Maintenance Centre (TMC) fixed and portable Infrastructure to include but not limited to –
- Civil and Buildings – e.g. all external and internal building/site fabric.
- Fixed & Mobile Plant – all plant equipment located at the TMC
- Information, Communication Technology and Security Systems
- Mechanical + Electrical Systems to include Heating, Venting, Cooling and electrical systems.
- Specialist Equipment – Bogie Drop, Wheel lathe, train wash, fuel farms, Servicing spines, MRX
- Permanent Way Systems – All Track, points and cross overs & 25KV overhead line equipment
- Soft Services – Monitor contractors, pest control, landscaping/track side vegetation control.
- General maintenance -replacing bulbs, toilet seats, unblocking sinks, painting, testing fire alarms, PAT testing, record and submit utilities readings,
- Support the Facilities planner with planning activities to ensure coordinated delivery of TMC maintenance, repairs and call outs with external contracted are coordinated.
- Ensure all Infrastructure and plant visual inspections, routine preventative and corrective maintenance tasks and repairs are recorded correctly in the SAP system to provide an auditable record of work undertaken.
- Act as a specialist subject matter expert with regards to specialist equipment. Be prepared to travel and overnight away from base location for short periods to support other TMCs / locations around the UK with ongoing issues.
- Train Maintenance Centre Winterisation and Summarisation tasks including snow clearance and de-icing of footpaths to ensure a safe working environment is maintained at all times.
- Initiation of “contractor call out” when required and supervision of third party contractors on site
- Raising and completion of the permit to work including working at height, track possessions, and hot working permits.
- Undertake fork truck and battery operated vehicle driving duties within depot confines in accordance with the depot operating procedures and instructions
- Actively participate in the ongoing continuous improvement activities for Infrastructure maintenance to share experience and knowledge a crossed other TMCs
- Support the Business Assurance organisation with planned safety inspections, safety tours and contractor audits.
- Waste management – monitor all waste streams to ensure staff and contractors are managing waste in line with Hitachi procedures.
- Infrastructure spare parts – Ensure spare parts are requested from the stores, fitted correctly and defect parts returned to the store in line with Hitachi procedures. Notify line manager when materials and consumables require replacement.
- Daily checks of all building services and plant rooms to ensure all infrastructure is functioning correctly.
- Will be expected to work a shift pattern that include day and late shifts including weekends.
- Assist and undertaken other duties as instructed by Line Management.
- Previous experience of routine building maintenance. (Or relevant experience/qualification)
- Must be comfortable working shifts within a team or on their own.
- Ability to investigate complex electrical and mechanical faults and write detailed reports.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, Calm and diplomatic under pressure.
Qualifications - External
- NVQ level 3 (Mechanical/Electrical) or Time served apprenticeship (Mechanical or Electrical)
- IEE 18TH Edition wiring Regulations certification - installer and tester
- Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) certification in Managing Safely.
- L8 Legionella & the Role of the Responsible Person.
- PAT testing of equipment
- Portable appliance testing equipment
- Network Rail Sentinel PTS.
- Reading electrical, pneumatic, mechanical schematics and drawings
- Powered Plant – Fork Lift Truck, MEWP.
- Basic IT skills – typically Word, Outlook. Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
- Able to represent Hitachi in a professional manner at all times.
- Team worker, the position holder must be able to interface effectively with all levels of personnel both within and outside the company.
Why Hitachi Rail Limited?
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.
We offer a competitive salary and annual leave entitlement as well as a generous benefits package. This includes a pension scheme with contributions up to 9%, health insurance, and many more perks for you to choose from within a flexible plan that will meet your specific needs and lifestyle.
If you like the sound of the above and feel energised by the idea of joining a great brand at a moment of exciting expansion, please apply now. We look forward to hearing from you!