Are you looking for opportunities to work on high profile rail projects and advanced technology alongside experts from the UK, Europe and Japan? Come and join the fastest growing rail
business in the world!
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are working to Inspire the Next – and this is your chance to be part of it.
Your new role
We are currently recruiting for an Operations Manager (Generating Units). This role is responsible for optimising the performance of all elements of operations and maintenance associated with Generating Units in order to drive performance improvement and fleet reliability growth.
Specifically, you will be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Lead and directly oversee Generating Unit (GU) maintenance, including planning, compliance and assurance to ensure the daily delivery of a safe and reliable fleet that enhances the customer experience.
- Support the management of the £10m+ contract with MTU for 749 GUs across multiple TSAs.
- Manage the performance of MTU and/or other 3rd party suppliers to ensure operational outputs are delivered, financial targets and contractual obligations are consistently achieved and, where they fall short, take appropriate remedial action to drive improvement.
- Support Hitachi’s obligations as the Entity in Charge of Maintenance (ECM) and provide assurance in line with Railways and Other Guided Transport Systems (ROGS) safety regulations.
- Ensure MTU conform to their operational and contractual obligations under ROGs reviewing processes and identifying areas for improvements whilst ensuring all MTU maintenance and materials are in compliance with engineering and manufacturing specifications.
- Support quality audits and ensure MTU comply with Hitachi Rail asset management and configuration control policies and procedures.
- Provide operational governance and integrate wider support functions including Supply Chain, Procurement, Quality and Engineering to deliver operational outputs.
- Lead the performance management of Generating Units including the key metrics to drive improvement.
- Develop the reliability growth plan and deliver any associated modifications in collaboration with MTU.
- Lead the planning of QL3 and QL4 Heavy Maintenance and Overhaul of GUs in collaboration with MTU and other internal functions.
- Support business activity undertaking analysis of operational information, assessing, making recommendations and putting in place actions in order to mitigate commercial risk.
- Identify, evaluate and understand capability gaps within operations relating to GUs through research and operational analysis.
- Support the timely submission of bids and proposals whilst maintaining compliance with applicable Train Services Agreements (TSA) and legal requirements
- Optimisation of GU maintenance and operations and associated through life costs.
- Build a collaborative approach and trusted relationships with internal and external stakeholders, partners and suppliers.
- Support contract negotiations with external customers and suppliers.
- Identify, manage and resolve risks and issues and initiate appropriate corrective action.
- Report progress, prepare performance reports and give verbal briefs and presentations as required.
- Promote, support and comply with all health and safety practices in the workplace.
- Undertake Continuing Professional Development (CPD) in accordance with Hitachi’s new business demands as required.
- Comprehensive understanding of practical reliability improvements.
- Sound knowledge of railway operations and previous experience of rolling stock maintenance.
- Astute contractual and commercial awareness.
- Strong customer focus.
- Engineering background working with Diesel Engines and Generating Units.
- Proven background in presenting complex information up to senior executive level.
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to think quickly.
- An engineering based degree or equivalent experience.
- Be highly organised and structured to meet challenging deadlines.
- Experienced in working with data sets, understanding and manipulating them.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritise and plan effectively and apply judgement and experience to make effective and timely decisions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: must have ability to deliver confident and persuasive briefs up to senior executive level.
- Excellent leadership and ability to influence diverse teams.
- Ability to act with a significant level of autonomy.
- Able to represent Hitachi in a professional manner at all times.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders.
- Capable of working in challenging environments for long periods of time.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of operating within UK rail industry
- Intermediate IT skills – Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
Why Hitachi Rail?
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.
We offer a competitive salary and annual leave entitlement as well as a generous benefits package. This includes a pension scheme with contributions up to 9%, health insurance, and many more perks for you to choose from within a flexible plan that will meet your specific needs and lifestyle.
If you like the sound of the above and feel energised by the idea of joining a great brand at a moment of exciting expansion, please apply now. We look forward to hearing from you!