Are you looking for opportunities to work on high profile rail projects and advanced technology alongside experts from the UK, Europe and Japan? Come and join the fastest growing rail
business in the world!
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are working to Inspire the Next – and this is your chance to be part of it.
**Location wise we are flexible i.e. it could be location based London, Newton Aycliffe or other Hitachi UK location or home.
Your new role
You will be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Effective management of Mechanical and Vehicle Dynamics teams to satisfy all relevant internal and external stakeholders to achieve company goals and successfully deliver products.
- Ensure their function has a high-level interface with all global engineering teams, define scope of work and responsibility, and manage gaps for each project.
- Establish strategic proactive development plan of their functions to ensure future proof design to support rapid growth of company.
- Effective management of engineering resources to satisfy internal customers (Sales, Project Management, NAY manufacturing, procurement and Service Delivery Team), and all the external stakeholders to achieve company goals.
- Effectively manage their functions annual and project specific budgets, costs, and to ensure these remain within allocation.
- Take engineering lead on allocated live projects, and take ownership of the 1st level of escalation.
- Communicate with other department heads openly/ faithfully to establish good network and efficient process.
- Lead product development proactively to support sales activity and opportunities. Responsible for validation of bid submission contents.
- Inspire and motivate their functions to challenge and solve issues or to improve efficiency for future company growth, based on Hitachi Values (Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit).
- Establish and manage a Vehicle Dynamics team, which can function both within the UK and Globally. Establish continuous improvements to enable team to have FEA capabilities.
- Work with other HoF to develop efficient process to further AT300 or AT200 platforms with respect to design changes.
- Establish and manage an effective team to work on end-to-end design, providing technical support to all other stakeholders during testing and post-production work.
- Establish and manage an effective team to carry out advance engineering work, to allow our future builds to be more innovative and competitive in the UK market.
- Attend the industry events/conferences/meetings arranged by DfT, NR, ATOC, RIA, Future Rail, RSSB, IMechE, IET, etc., making presentation if necessary to support local society development.
- Be involved in Hitachi Rail UK staff development & training and participate in PDP procedures.
- Adhere to the Hitachi Rail Europe’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
Key Skills & Experience
Skill / Experience
- Engineering management experience of both Electrical and Mechanical in UK
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills based on technical background with demonstrable experience of dealing with customer, supplier and stakeholder bodies.
- Extensive experience gained from a rolling stock design or maintenance and operations environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the European and Railway Group Standards and other railway specific engineering standards.
- Flexible and forward thinking, able to lead and operate effectively in a period of organisational expansion.
- Extensive experience of building and leading the engineering team(s) and people to establish good engineering department.
- Experience of monitoring and encouraging the personal development of team members.
Licences / Competences
- Must have experience of managing UK railway systems engineering requirements and standards.
- Experience of interfacing with clients, development teams on a technical management level, resolving queries and issues in a pragmatic, logical manner.
- Experienced in all phases of a project, from bid through design, development, integration, test acceptance, delivery and operational development.
- Chartered Engineer or working towards (optional)
- Working hard with team and act with company’s Mission, Vision and Value
- Respect team work and dealing with staff, customers, suppliers and third party stakeholders at all levels
- Passion and drive to deliver, “must do” attitude.
- Japanese or Italian Language / exposure to Japanese or Italian business culture
- Previous experience with working with Board members
Experience of working with a Global / International remit.
Why Hitachi Rail?
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.
We offer a competitive salary and annual leave entitlement as well as a generous benefits package. This includes a pension scheme with contributions up to 9%, health insurance, and many more perks for you to choose from within a flexible plan that will meet your specific needs and lifestyle.
If you like the sound of the above and feel energised by the idea of joining a great brand at a moment of exciting expansion, please apply now. We look forward to hearing from you!