Under the direction of higher level engineering management this position supports the execution of the company’s strategic and tactical plans through department and related staff for the assigned design engineering program. This position has broad responsibilities for planning, coordinating and supervising the activities for multiple engineering projects. This position exercises independent judgment routinely and operates within established guidelines.
Job Summary: Includes the following (other duties may be documented and assigned by local management and some duties may not apply dependent upon the requirements of the position at each specific (HIAMS)AM site and/or the strengths of the employee and the needs of the company):
- Support corporate objectives and design engineering goals and objectives for future development, growth and improvement of the company overall.
- Support the development and implementation of engineering strategies and policies supporting the mission and expectations.
- Lead the activities of assigned engineering projects toward successful accomplishment of established goals and objectives set forth in the corporate policy by defining critical project criteria to ensure project completion.
- Support program initiatives in identifying product development opportunities, new business potential, and contract development related to company goals and objectives.
- Analyze assigned program’s cost, activities, operations and forecasts to determine progress toward goals.
- Communicate to department management program proposals for time frames, funding limitations, staffing requirements, project procedures, and allotment of available resources for assigned phases of project.
- Coordinate and manage the execution of assigned engineering program phases from product development thru production (including control of program timing requirements, program issues and commercial impact of design changes).
- Coordinate the development and testing activities of prototypes, product specification, resource planning and budgeting, quote development and following the products from development through to production.
- Conduct program tests, analyze test data, and write test reports to record operating performance.
- Provide data to support product compliance with customer or internal specifications and applicable standards.
- Develop detailed engineering specifications for product development.
- Develop cost analyses and proposals aimed at reduction of cost and/or improvement in department sales operations.
- Support the direction on design and development activities to improve, modify or design new products.
- Supervise the efforts of project personnel for assigned phases of project activity such as technical studies, product design, preparation or specification and technical plans and product testing and serve as technical authority.
- Lead and support the research and development, quality control and product modification and improvement activities in alignment with the established assigned program’s objectives.
- Represent the company with assigned program’s customers, to ensure customer satisfaction with feasibility and design specifications and keep record of customer design changes.
- Supervise and review product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and customer requirements.
- Work alongside other program staff (engineering, sales, and test) as well as with customer engineers to accomplish and ensure set goals are met, schedules are maintained and problems encountered during development process are satisfactorily resolved.
- Travel to customer locations supporting product development and throughout (s) for product reviews, testing, and change updates with periodic travel with customer to company manufacturing facilities (domestic and international).
- Ensure legal compliance in all engineering product design activities.
- Communicate to department senior management the talent/retention and succession planning needs for the assigned engineering program.
- May be required to oversee the work, provide leadership guidance, performance feedback and rating, and recommend training development of all levels of engineering department/program staff.
- Review and report program status to department management regularly.
- Support all business objectives of the company by aligning Design Engineering activities with the organizational goals and objectives.
- Consistently use exceptional customer service skills and work with all levels of staff and maintain strict confidentiality of information.
- Maintain a safe workplace and follow all regulations and requirements related to safety and environmental compliance.
- Follow all quality policy standards.
Knowledge skills and abilities: Be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily; Be able to perform duties utilizing current company software applications; Have excellent interpersonal, organizational, verbal and written communication skills; Perform duties in an ethical and professional manner; Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related area required. Has thorough knowledge of specialized engineering principles and practices.
Experience: Minimum 7 years prior related experience preferred.
Supervisory Responsibilities: May be required to supervise the duties of others to perform the job responsibilities as designated by area/department management.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)-Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
If you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job at Hitachi, please send the nature of request and contact information to [email protected]. Queries other than accommodation requests will not be responded to.