Summary of the position:
The Mechanical Engineer position is responsible for supporting all existing products and manufacturing processes as it relates to all mechanical and control systems and designs used in all Sullair’s products, including control systems relating to Mechanical Compressor Packages. This position will focus on improving safety, quality, on-time customer delivery and efficiency of manufacturing operations while reducing manufacturing’s cost. Will collaborate with suppliers in resolving quality issues, improving designs and reducing costs.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Supports production and field in troubleshooting mechanical design-related issues, improving First Past Yield and production throughput.
- Point of contact for production and vendor quality issues; assist Quality in resolving supplier issues and executing root cause corrective action; this will include drawing corrections, bill of material corrections, and troubleshooting compressor systems.
- Drives mechanical-related cost reduction efforts.
- Collaborates with Product Engineering and interfaces with Customer Service to support mechanical requirements on engineered orders meeting customer requirements.
- Evaluates mechanical systems, products, components and applications by designing and conducting research to drive incremental improvements in existing products applying knowledge of electricity and materials.
- Maintains and updates all mechanical documentation ensuring completeness and correctness.
- Lead teams to drive incremental improvements in existing products, manufacturing methods and processes.
- Oversight of mechanical controls and systems; represents sustaining engineering on New Product Development teams.
- Supports aftermarket issues by troubleshooting compressors in the field, component identification and verification of solution.
- Supports Procurement by creating accurate component prints, identifying alternative components and suppliers, and answering technical questions from vendors.
- Participates in new engineering development projects by assisting in selection of Motors, Starters requirements, Mechanical application requirements, design of pneumatic circuits.
- Support quality by identifying root cause of component failure, performing machine audits, and updating component prints that are out of date.
- Troubleshoots integrated systems and programs analytical equipment as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited college.
- Knowledge of compressor systems and requirements is a plus.
- Minimum 5 years of applied mechanical engineering experience in a manufacturing environment; compressor or industrial machinery industry knowledge a plus.
- Engineering experience in the design of mechanical and pneumatic/electrical control systems used in air compressor products.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to lead, facilitate, organize and work effectively with cross functional teams, departments to execute the necessary results.
- Proven, demonstrated ability to understand and design modern safety control systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication, presentation and team building skills with all levels in the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work very effectively within a team/cross functional teams and meet deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Self-starter with excellent project management skills and is detail-oriented.
- Hands-on approach with proven analytical and troubleshooting skills of integrated systems.
- Experience with Unigraphics NX or equivalent 3D CAD Software Programs.
- Six Sigma Green/Black a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and analytical skills to evaluate data and resolve design issues.
- Proficient problem-solving skills are required.
- Able to successfully manage multiple projects/programs simultaneously.
The successful candidate is responsible for complying with Sullair’s Code of Ethics and related policies. In performing the job, the incumbent shall take all steps necessary to comply with our safety rules and requirements and must actively support the organization's efforts to meet and exceed its goals of creating and maintaining a safe workplace.
This description is to serve as a guide. It is intended to be flexible and will continue to evolve over time with business needs and demands and may be updated periodically and at the Company's discretion.
Sullair is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or other protected categories under applicable law, whether in recruitment, employment, promotion, transfer, compensation, or other conditions of employment.