Job ID: R0001220
Date Posted: Sep 20, 2021
Segment: Others (Including Headquarters and R&D )
Business Unit: Hitachi Regional Headquarters
Company Name: Hitachi America, Ltd.
Profession (Job Category): Engineering_NewEngineering & Science
Job Type (Experience Level): Experienced
Job Schedule: Full time
Principal Solution Designer
Company: Hitachi America, Ltd.
Division: R&D/Design Lab
Location: Santa Clara, CA/Remote
Role Overview for job description:
Hitachi America, Ltd. (www.hitachi-america.us) is looking for a Principal Solution Designer to lead solution design activities in a B2B context from our office in Santa Clara, California. Solutions that Hitachi’s design teams provide to their clients (both internal and external) include, but are not limited to, technology supported business transformations that enhances clients’ current and future operations, organizational strategic alignments of stakeholders and conceptual models of new technologies, services, business models, and/or their combination, required to achieve such transformation.
Responsibilities of a Hitachi Solution Designer include, but are not limited to, effectively using design and design research tools and methodology, either in existence or creating new ones to, identify solution opportunities, clarify and define client projects, investigate project and solution requirements with social science researchers, and exploring and documenting project artifacts such as personas, scenarios, stakeholder maps, experience maps, and design concept models.
The successful candidate, as a principal designer, will be enhancing the lab’s solution design capabilities through mentoring other designers (including senior designers), creating and executing exemplary projects showcasing value of design contributions in Hitachi’s business contexts. In addition, the candidate will also drive adoption of design methodologies and tools in innovation practice among regional business units and other R&D labs, by devising appropriate and viable adoption strategies.
While the team is small, the candidate will also be responsible in execution of projects, keeping up with design field trends, iterating upon applying and improving tools and methods for conducting customer-centered projects, and creating plans and executing feasible enhancement efforts.
As a member of the team, the solution designer is expected to integrate well into the interdisciplinary working structure of Hitachi’s R&D.
• Master’s degree or higher in the design field required.
• Minimum of 15 years of professional experience as a designer required.
• At least 7 years of professional experience with systems/business/solution design required.
• Thorough understanding of systems thinking.
• Exposure to and practical experience with futures thinking is a plus.
• Having experience implementing innovation strategy using design in a corporate setting is a huge plus.
• Experience in the fields of healthcare, energy, transportation, mining, construction, IT, telecom, oil & gas, manufacturing, or finance is a plus.
• Experience working with social scientists, or effective use of social science research results in their design work is highly desirable.
• Experience working with a multi-disciplinary project team is essential.
• Understanding of the role of technology in solutions.
• Understanding of societal trends and their implications.
• Experience analyzing user research results and their implications for design.
• A very good understanding of human-centered design and related principles and methodologies is essential.
• A sound awareness of a project’s business requirements and implications as well as an understanding of context-specific constraints.
• Capable of understanding complex and nuanced customer/stakeholder relationships.
• Capable of identifying and clearly defining project requirements and producing compelling deliverables that reflect an understanding of the specific project needs.
• Creativity in solving problems.
• Strong communication skills.
• Excellent storyteller.
• Strong visualization skills.
• Project management skills.
• Ability to travel frequently (25% travel).
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)-Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
If you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job at Hitachi, please send the nature of request and contact information to [email protected] Queries other than accommodation requests will not be responded to.