Hitachi Vantara, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., guides our customers from what's now to what's next by solving their digital challenges. Working alongside each customer, we apply our unmatched industrial and digital capabilities to their data and applications to benefit both business and society. More than 80% of the Fortune 100 trust Hitachi Vantara to help them develop new revenue streams, unlock competitive advantages, lower costs, enhance customer experiences, and deliver social and environmental value.The Role
We are seeking Senior Support Engineer
Experience - 6-10 Years
We are looking to add motivated, talented people that enjoy the challenge of solving technical problems to our Support / Operational Engineering team.
The L3 Support team sits within the Product Support team and provides level-three support for Pentaho's customers. Successful people on this team are skilled with java and like to reverse-engineer our client's implementations to find creative solutions to issues that are raised.
Operational Engineers explain Pentaho's various APIs to customers and colleagues.
This includes providing troubleshooting advice, building mock-ups of customized environments, analyzing logs and stacktraces and reading/verifying/improving documentation for the following:
- Pentaho Server REST API (automate tasks that are normally performed by a user or administrator interacting with the UI)
- Authentication and Authorization API (Java application code used to integrate Pentaho with customer authentication/authorization systems)
- Multi-tenancy API (Java Application code which adds data security that is transparent to the end user)
- Kettle Engine API (Java that is 1. embedding the Kettle engine in other Java Applications outside Pentaho Server. Creating plugins for Pentaho Data Integration)
- Reporting Engine API (this is rare, but an API for embedding Pentaho Reporting in a Java application outside Pentaho Server)
The right candidate for this position enjoys providing support to other IT professionals in a fast-paced environment with lots of technical variety.
- Be an advocate for our customers
- Provide product support for installation and configuration of custom modules in the Pentaho Software Suite
- Provide clear, crisp communication to colleagues in understandable, easy to follow directions
- Setting proper expectations regarding client issues to ensure there is no ambiguity around solutions / timelines / etc.
- Document enhancement requests for products
- Communicating effectively internally with the Pentaho Engineering and Product Management teams to reproduce, resolve and document support cases
- Maintaining an accurate and complete description of cases managed through Pentaho's case tracking and problem management system.
- Contributing knowledge on a regular basis to the Pentaho Knowledge Base, FAQs, examples and how-to's for publication for customers and the Pentaho knowledge system.
- Professional experience in troubleshooting, maintaining, or developing data-driven applications connected to relational databases, XML sources, web services, flat file, and big data driven backend system.
- Hands-on experience with Java applications and core technologies such as:
- Web development tools: JSP, XML, HTML, JDBC/JNDI
- Operating Systems: Linux, Windows, Solaris
- Application servers: Tomcat, JBoss, Websphere, Weblogic
- Databases: Oracle, MySQL, SQLServer, BigData
- Authentication and Authorization: SSO (SAML, CAS, OAUTH, etc), MSAD, Spring Security
- Excellent analytical, debugging and problem-solving skills
- Quick Learner
- Ability to systematically assess and accurately diagnose software-related problems (both individually and within a team setting)
- Ability to interact effectively and empathize with customers
- Prior experience (5+ years) installing, administering and maintaining computer systems and applications in an enterprise IT environment
- B.A. or B.S. Degree from an accredited university (may substitute an Associate's degree plus 4 additional years of experience)
- Fluency in multiple languages (English, French, German, Spanish) a plus
- Professional technical certifications a plus
- Experience deploying Business Intelligence (BI) related software and/or building reports within BI related software is a big plus
- Familiarity with Cloudera, Hadoop - MapReduce technologies, Amazon Web Services - other data housing technologies
- Passion to explore new technologies
- A sense of urgency when interacting with customers
- Ability to manage customer expectations
- Understanding of the importance and value of good communication
- Ability to work efficiently on multiple active support cases, effectively "switch gears" and manage multiple time-critical tasks
- Attention to detail
- Demonstrates a sense of ownership in all duties assigned
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.