Operating as part of the Finance and Accounting (F&A) team, the Hitachi Europe (HEU) Head of Internal Audit will be responsible for leading a team of four to deliver Internal Audit services to Hitachi Businesses in Europe and other regions. This includes defining the service, setting Internal Audit policy for customers in Europe and building up the customer base.
This is a senior position, carrying personal responsibility for the strategic development, management and delivery of compliance across the Hitachi Europe Ltd (HEU) business and business partner organisations.
The role requires management of a professional audit team, development of the team and delivery of plans to ensure compliance and performance improvement to meet business and legal requirements. The role will report to the Hitachi Europe Finance Director and will be responsible for ensuring the team can act effectively as a body of expertise, even though team members may not be co-located.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
Internal Audit service design
- Ensure strategies and plans are developed, approved and implemented in order to develop the service to meet the longer-term governance, compliance and business objectives of HEU and business partners.
- Define the Internal Audit service to be delivered and engage with senior Hitachi operating company’s stakeholders to ensure this service meets Hitachi operating company’s needs and priorities, within Hitachi’s frameworks. Work with direct reports to ensure they are fully able to deliver the agreed service
Internal Audit service delivery
- Work with Hitachi operating companies to develop policies and plans to ensure that the business is compliant with relevant internal and external rules and regulations. Ensure that financial risk is identified and managed within limits set by the board
- Develop and manage delivery of a plan of financial and risk management audits to ensure that business and process owners are effectively managing key risk exposures. Support business and process owners in the identification of business inefficiencies and related causes
- Provide advice and guidance to senior line management concerning financial, fraud and risk management issues, so as to improve their knowledge and understanding, and to increase the general awareness of financial control and risk management in the business
Internal Audit technical expertise
- Maintain proficient technical knowledge of all relevant Internal Audit policies and processes, including incorporating external best practices into the service
- Share expertise and latest corporate and external thinking on good practice within the Internal Audit community, F&A and Hitachi operating companies
Commercial Management of the Internal Audit service
- Working with the Contract Manager, define the appropriate pricing for Internal Audit services and manage third party providers as appropriate
- Work with the Contract Manager, Account Manager and Internal Audit team to execute change requests relating to the Internal Audit service
- Propose and agree budgets and targets for the Centre of Excellence – Internal Audit and monitor performance such that budgets and targets are achieved
- Engage with senior stakeholders in Hitachi operating companies’ and Hitachi Corporate, to ensure the IA service meets customer and corporate requirements
- Anticipate and respond to changes in customer needs that may impact the Internal Audit service
- Act as a champion for F&A with all stakeholders
New Business Development
- Working closely with senior stakeholders in the Hitachi operating companies, identify opportunities for increasing the scope and quality of services delivered. Work with the F&A Management team to achieve this increased scope, to the extent which is practical and possible within the Hitachi organization
- Provide leadership and day-to day management of the Internal Audit, including ensuring that all team members function effectively in the virtual community as they may be located across different countries. Ensure that staff are effectively utilised, motivated and able to efficiently deliver their responsibilities
- Ensure that staff development plans are in place so as to maximise the contribution of each team member and such that standards of quality are achieved
Skills & Experience
- Significant experience of operating at a senior level in audit or risk management with strong knowledge of audit/risk management techniques
- Extensive experience of SARBOX and J-SOX
- Demonstrable success in previous roles requiring commercial, business and strategic understanding
- Preferred financial accountancy qualification and recognised audit/risk qualification
- Strong understanding of regulatory and compliance issues affecting the business and how these apply to specific Operating Companies
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships at senior levels of the organisation and influence key stakeholders. Ability to understand the business context to draw an appropriate balance between control and the company’s freedom to operate.
- Strong people management skills
- Ability to set policy and direction and enrol others in the achievement of objectives, particularly where there is no formal reporting line
Company Funded Benefits
- Market competitive salary and discretionary bonus scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement - with the option to buy up to an additional 8 days per year
- A Holiday Banking scheme allowing you to bank untaken holiday to use another year
- Group Personal Pension
- Private Medical Insurance with self-funded option to cover family members
- Employee Assistance Programme available to all employees
- Personal Accident Insurance
Voluntary Benefits (funded by employee) including;
- Cycle To Work scheme
- Gym Membership
- Dental Insurance with option to include dependent children
- Health screening
- Dining card
Hitachi Europe Ltd is a social innovation company with headquarters based in Maidenhead, England. The company’s European operations employ over 550 people to deliver services and solutions to customers in several key business areas. The company's portfolio includes digital media products, industrial components and equipment, European procurement and sourcing, research and design, information systems.
HEU is also responsible for managing a Shared Services Group that provides the Company's business units with a range of innovative and effective common services that deliver value, create ‘lean’ processes and support growth and development - including HR, IT, Legal, Finance & Accounting, Corporate Communications & Sustainability, and Business Development.