Hitachi Rail STS USA is looking for an enthusiastic self-motivated Senior Construction Manager who thrives in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate is comfortable working with various stakeholders in order to deliver a signaling system upgrade on a large operating commuter rail system. The position is based in Boston, MA.
Who We Are:
Hitachi Rail STS is an international leader with a global presence in signaling and the implementation of integrated transport systems for freight and passenger railways, as well as mass transit systems.
MBTA Commuter Rail North Side Automatic Train Control Program includes the design and integration of a new train control system, improvements to existing signaling systems, and upgrades to the power network for the Commuter Rail lines on the Northern side of Boston.
Reporting to the MBTA NSATC Program Manager, the Senior Construction Manager will:
• Manage the installation of technological systems for the assigned Work Packages within the constraints of cost, schedule, scope, quality, safety and environmental requirements.
• Ensure the coordination and supervision of all site activities including civil and technological works in accordance with the Approved Installation Plan.
• Report on progress and status of work, forecasting risks and opportunities and reporting any deviations of scope, schedule, cost or quality
• Maintain the Project Installation Schedule throughout the life of the Project interfacing with the Project Planner to maintain the Project Master Schedule.
• Ensure compliance with the Approved for Construction Design and manage any non-conformances in accordance with the Quality Plan.
• Support the Engineering Department to resolve technical issues based upon knowledge and experience working in the field
• Represent the Project at site coordination meetings with the Client and liaise with various project entities, third parties and/or stakeholders
• Identify and implement recovery actions to maintain the delivery plan in accordance with the contract.
• Manage interface coordination efforts for site activities with other site stakeholders including railway operators and utility providers for timely completion of the installation works.
• Provide constructability reviews of plans and specifications to evaluate scheduled activities and staffing requirements for each phase of construction, and coordinate the availability of requisite equipment
• Direct personnel and sub-contractors with respect to planning the work, interpreting specifications and executing the work safely.
• Provide leadership onsite to ensure the health and safety of the workforce and community and meet all environmental obligations;
• Coordinate with the Commissioning Manager for handover of the installed equipment for test, commissioning and cutover activities.
• Support Engineering and Project Management for the timely processing of changes and release of revised plans to expedite progress of the work.
Required Skills/ Knowledge:
• Minimum Ten (10) years of relevant Construction Management experience.
• Demonstrated experience in managing sub-contractors of various tiers and key stakeholders on projects.
• Knowledge of the specifics attendant to installing equipment on an operating railway.
• Excellent communication skills
• Able to meet deadlines and successfully handle pressures associated with site construction works conducted 24/7.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees, peers and third parties.
• Ability to maintain the integrity of confidential business information.
• Working knowledge of MS Suite tools
Desired Skills/ Knowledge:
• Understanding of Project Management techniques, planning, and scheduling skills
• Experience working with the MBTA
• Experience with MS Office tools
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Construction Management is preferred