Summary of the position:
The Electrical Engineer is an essential part of the Sullair Engineering Team and the continued success of all Sullair products. This role, located in Michigan City, Indiana, is responsible for the design and integration of electrical and control systems into all Sullair products and support of all existing Sullair products as it relates to electrical and control systems used in all Sullair products. The successful candidate must be able to work on multiple programs cross-functionally with the Engineering, Purchasing, Manufacturing, Quality, R&D, Service and Airend teams. To be effective, the ideal candidate will need to be a self-driven strong communicator that is intimately familiar with electrical and controls systems designs and integration into off-highway and/or industrial applications.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Design, development and integration of electrical systems into Sullair products using knowledge of catalogue components and consistent application of innovative design solutions to deliver best in class products.
- Research and evaluate new technology in electric motors and drives for incremental product improvements in cost, performance and features.
- Design, develop and maintain electrical systems and components to required specifications, focusing on safety, reliability, quality, cost and sustainability.
- Create wiring schematics, electrical harnesses, related mechanical components and bills of material.
- Design, size and integrate a starting device system in a multiple motor application.
- Design, size and integrate wiring harnesses based upon SAE J1939 codes and engine configurations, as well as controller configurations.
- Size and integrate variable speed drives based upon application, current and dimensional requirements.
- Size and integrate overload and short circuit current protection based upon current, NEC, CE, NEC and UL requirements.
- Design and integrate control box assemblies into a machine package based upon dimensional and application requirements, including NEMA ratings.
- Design, package and evaluate electrical designs for existing and new product applications.
- Responsible for New Product Development program deliverables on all electrical aspects including: concept designs, design reviews, DFMEA’s, DVP&R’s, DRD’s, best practices, risk assessment and maintaining design guidelines.
- Collaborate with internal engineering functions to ensure design deliverables, target costs and project timing are met and properly documented.
- Support Supply Chain with accurate component prints, identifying alternative components and suppliers, answering technical questions from suppliers and driving electrical related cost reduction efforts.
- Work cross-functionally with Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality, Purchasing, Service and Commercial teams on all electrical and controls related design items and changes.
- Operate as the electrical subject matter expert and provide hands-on technical leadership.
- Provide direction to electrical designers, as well as support build and test technicians.
- Provide coaching and mentor electrical engineers and designers on all aspects of electrical systems on portable and stationary compressors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience of electrical design, integration and application in the compressor or industrial machinery industry. (Three Phase Circuit Design, SAE J1939, UL508, CSA, NEC, CE).
- Knowledge of compressor systems is a plus.
- Experience with stationary and portable compressor design and NPD phase-gate process is a plus.
- Proven ability to interpret and create technical CAD drawings and schematics. Experience with Siemens NX, NX Electrical Routing, LTX Schematics, and SAP ECTR (PLM) or equivalent 3D CAD Software Programs.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement wiring harnesses. Preferred experience with SAE J1939 and VSD applications.
- Self-driven professional able to plan/prioritize workload without direct guidance or direction from management to meet project/program time constraints with history of driving results.
- Solid comprehension of electro-mechanical systems and interactions between air compressor components and sub-systems.
- Strong working knowledge of electrical and controls applications for electric motor and diesel engine applications.
- Working knowledge of OEM engine/motor application and installation standards.
- Ability to anticipate potential problems and proactively take preventative action.
- Hands-on approach with proven analytical and troubleshooting skills related to electrical harnesses and starting device systems.
- Able to successfully manage multiple projects/programs simultaneously.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to effectively interact and liaise with staff at all levels in a very diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work very effectively within a team/cross-functional teams and meet deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Six Sigma Green/Black a plus.
- Ability to sit at a desk for long periods of time while performing design work on a computer.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to install, troubleshoot, rework electrical wiring on Sullair compressors.
- Ability to travel occasionally, as needed, to support business needs – anticipate less than 5%.
The successful candidate is responsible for complying with Sullair’s Code of Ethics and related policies. In performing the job, the incumbent shall take all steps necessary to comply with our safety rules and requirements and must actively support the organization's efforts to meet and exceed its goals of creating and maintaining a safe workplace.
This description is to serve as a guide. It is intended to be flexible and will continue to evolve over time with business needs and demands and may be updated periodically and at the Company's discretion.
Sullair is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or other protected categories under applicable law, whether in recruitment, employment, promotion, transfer, compensation, or other conditions of employment.