Are you looking for opportunities to work on high profile rail projects and advanced technology alongside experts from the around the globe? Come and join the fastest growing rail business in the world!
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are working to Inspire the Next – and this is your chance to be part of it.
Your new role
We are currently recruiting for Manufacturing Team Members at our state of the art manufacturing facility in Newton Aycliffe. We are recruiting these roles on 9-12 month fixed term contract basis starting from September 21.
Manufacturing team member responsibilities include:
- Adhere to and promote all aspects of Health and Safety, showing that you care and that you take responsibility for your own and others’ safety and wellbeing
- Creating and maintaining a positive working environment within your team. Achieved through a constructive and can do approach
- Making decisions on and taking responsibility for high levels of Quality Standards in own work and the work of the overall team
- Identify corrective actions using appropriate company procedures
- Work with Engineering and Quality department colleagues on problem solving and improvement activities
- Act as an effective team member through collaboration with your own and other teams, Open and honest and respectful communication, Open mindedness and flexibility and Demonstrate pride in your work and the company
- Contribute to maintaining the highest standards of housekeeping
- Contribute to building a culture of sharing best practice across the plant
- Minimise waste in processes
- Ownership of the quality of the train build
- Identify corrective and preventative actions to achieve quality standards and KPI’s
- Contribute to setting and maintaining the highest standards of housekeeping and 5S
- To be aware of and actively promote and implement Hitachi’s ethos, culture and values
- To comply with and support Hitachi Rail Europe’s Health and Safety and Environment policy
- To undertake any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as may be required
- Performing a variety of manufacturing tasks whilst maintaining the highest standards of safety, quality and efficiency such as: Rigging, Plumbing, Electrical and Sub assembly work
Additional weld responsibilities include:
- Preparation of weld surfaces in readiness for welding
- Preparation of aluminium extrusion using a variety of rotary head cutting tools and abrasive wheels
- Safe handling and movement of bulk panels using approved lifting techniques
- Chemical cleaning of prepared surfaces with consideration to COSHH regulations
- Support fabrication operations following safe systems of work
Additional paint responsibilities include:
- Preparation of the aluminium car body by way of degreasing, washing, masking, sanding & shot blasting in readiness for welding
- Application of various protective coatings, such as primer
- Application of putty / filler to remove any undulations throughout the car body
- Post primer & filler sanding to ensure the correct surface requirements in readiness for the application of the top coat
- Application of top coat along with any project-specific coatings
- Application of vinyl materials where required
- Utilising top coat polishing tools & techniques to ensure the highest quality and to achieve the desired customer specifications
- Able to perform a variety of manufacturing tasks with good levels of dexterity
- Demonstrate a good standard of numeracy and literacy skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good problem-solving skills
- The ability to work to deadlines and deliver to schedule.
- Willing to communicate openly, honestly respectfully at all levels
- Ability to learn new manufacturing skills to a high standard
- Willing to learn new job skills - Kaizen, 5S and participate in improvement activities
- A willingness to work flexibly and a positive approach to work and working patterns
- To effectively work alone or within a team
- Be willing to take responsibility for own performance
- Have a ‘Can do’ attitude to supporting both manufacturing and other functions
- Be willing to undertake travel in the UK and overseas as and when required
- Experience of working within a team environment as an effective team member.
- Experience of working with one or more of the following:-
- Preparation and painting of aluminium panels
- Electrical wiring
- Carpet fitting
- Kitchen fitting
- Coachworks experience
Why Hitachi Rail?
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.
We offer a competitive salary and annual leave entitlement as well as a generous benefits package. This includes a pension scheme with contributions up to 9%, health insurance, and many more perks for you to choose from within a flexible plan that will meet your specific needs and lifestyle.
If you like the sound of the above and feel energised by the idea of joining a great brand at a moment of exciting expansion, please apply now. We look forward to hearing from you!