Electronics Engineer III
Company: Hitachi Particle Engineering and Services, Inc.
Department: Engineering Department, AccSys Technology Division
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Status: Regular, Full-Time
The Electronics Engineer will be responsible for directing and coordinating all activities necessary to complete a major engineering project and/or several small projects of ion linear accelerator (LINAC) systems. Performs engineering work and applied research, development, and design of new products. Specifies, designs, documents, and troubleshoots complex electronic and control systems that meet project requirements from research and development through engineering, production, and factory testing in a timely and cost-efficient manner. Work includes complex design, fabrication, modification, and evaluation of electronic apparatus, components, or circuitry for use in electronic equipment and devices. Analyzes equipment to establish operating data and conducts experimental tests. Performs varied and complex analysis, design, programming and modification of software for control applications and engineering. Supports installation, start-up, operations, servicing and modification of delivered systems as necessary to ensure ongoing customer satisfaction.
- Specifies, designs, and documents complex electrical systems that meet customer project requirements. Oversees and supports assembly, and testing of such electrical systems.
- Manage both major and minor projects. Coordinates with manufacturing to develop and maintain project schedules as required for timely delivery of product.
- Designs electrical circuits and systems based on a structured, analytical approach and reinforced by consistent design methods and procedures. Advances new designs using contemporary practices and hardware, particularly high voltage and RF power systems, for cost-reduction and performance improvement.
- Develops procedures for design, testing, documentation, configuration control, information distribution, etc.
- Supports installation, start-up, operations, servicing (routine and emergency), and modification of delivered systems as necessary to ensure ongoing customer satisfaction.
- Problem solver by applying sound electrical knowledge and experience with consistent troubleshooting methods and procedures. Implements effective corrective actions for timely resolution of shop and field issues. Analyzes operating issues for design compliance implications. Promotes resolution of shop and field issues via improved designs, where appropriate.
- Develops and documents control system code and completes programming, testing, and debugging of applications for standard and/or custom devices. Modifies existing code as required to meet specific project requirements. Specifies and selects control system hardware and applications.
- Determines procedures and other documentation needed for the installation, operation, and maintenance of hardware, applications, and programming.
- Interfaces with marketing groups, service group, and other internal customers as well as external customers to add or customize hardware and software features to company products.
- Ensures that all products meet quality standards and customer performance specifications via design reviews, in-process inspections, functional and performance tests, etc.
- Interfaces with design group for improved system integration. Supports product development and design review to improve performance, increase reliability, enhance quality, manufacturability, and serviceability, including assessment of feedback from customers and operating experience about product problems, weaknesses, etc.
- Provides technical and project leadership to technicians, designers, and other engineers in the design, fabrication, testing, and servicing of electrical circuits, components, sub-systems, and systems. Works seamlessly with shop and field teams for delivery of timely and quality product.
- Requires work using personal computer, testing and measurement instrumentation, electrical tools, and hand tools.
- Occasional travel to customer sites by airplane, train or automobile for customer service, installation, or emergency repairs.
- Works using personal computer, test and measurement devices electrical tools, and hand tools.
Additional Job Functions:
- Supports management regarding programmatic development and engineering objectives, particularly regarding design.
- Provides accurate estimates to his/her Supervisor of time and resources needed to accomplish tasks in a project.
- Instructs technicians, designers, and other engineers regarding sound design, testing, and troubleshooting principles. Perform periodic customer and employee training on electronic and control systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed by management.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent is required.
- 7+ years of analog & digital circuit design, vacuum controls design, electronics fabrication, and testing and troubleshooting experience is required.
- Knowledge of power supplies, instrumentation and control, data acquisition, RF power, high voltage, and other related electrical functions, devices, and systems is required.
- Proficiency with LabVIEW is required.
- EMI/EMP problem-solving experience is required.
- Must clearly understand digital and analog circuit design and analysis, troubleshooting, use of popular IC's, grounding, shielding, etc.
- Must apply structured, design-and-analysis-based approach to system and circuit design, development and troubleshooting.
- Experience with MS Office programs is required, including Word, Office, Excel, and Project.
- Experience with OrCAD and Altium is preferable.
- Familiarity with computer (SPICE) based circuit analysis is desired.
- Work experience at accelerator facilities or manufacturers is plus.
Physical activities required to perform essential job functions:
Repair/install electrical and electrical devices and spare parts, using test & measurement equipment, hand tools, etc. Occasionally lift and carry up to 25 pounds during equipment service. Movement within office complex and customer facilities, in confined spaces within our machines, and on ladders and platforms. Ability to travel by airplane, train, or automobile for field assignments. Visual acuity and manual dexterity needed for close detail work, computer use, equipment operation, testing and measurement devices use, and parts assembly at distances close to the eye as well as reading of sketches, drawings and blueprints. Possess normal color perception (no color blindness).
Mental activities required to perform essential job functions:
Applicant must possess complex English reading and writing skills as well a verbal communication. Must possess high skill level in areas of independent analysis, judgment, and complex engineering problem solving. Must be tactful, diplomatic, and professional in all customer interactions.
Works alone and with others in a general office and laboratory environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)-Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
If you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job at Hitachi, please send the nature of request and contact information to [email protected] Queries other than accommodation requests will not be responded to.