Are you looking for opportunities to work on high profile rail projects and advanced technology alongside experts from the around the globe? Come and join the fastest growing rail business in the world!
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are working to Inspire the Next – and this is your chance to be part of it.
Your new role
We are currently seeking a Project Engineering Manager to lead and manage the specific Project Engineering Team for current projects and future UK rolling stock platforms. We are recruiting this role on a permanent basis.
Specifically, you will be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Responsible to deliver the agreed scope of the specific Engineering Project Team on time within project budget
- Lead and manage work packages within the Engineering Project Team
- Manage technical interface and communication with end customer
- Lead Customer Design Review Process by insuring design is compliant to customer technical contractual documents
- Provide visibility of progress, faced risks and issues needing escalation on a regular and agreed basis through the Project
- In every aspect enhance the Project’s common interest – as success can only be achieved jointly
- Follow directives and priorities given by the Project Management
- Incorporate best practice and lessons learned from within the wider projects
- Liaise with all other functions as a key member of the Project’s management team reviewing project performance metrics including; Programme performance and KPIs
- Develop action plans/improvement schemes and ensure Project progress against them.
- Assist Engineering Project Team members in understanding scope of work, provide resources in terms of tools and environment and manage their priorities and workload
- Monitor and encourage the personal development of team members
- Support and facilitate the project engineering team’s interfaces between other stakeholder including other project engineering teams, system integration, testing and Assurance team, to ensure efficient execution of governance engineering (RAMS, Safety, Approval, V&V etc.)
- Coordinate Project Engineering work scope between the different functions, such as procurement, programme and manufacturing
- Liaise with key stakeholders and customers, internal and external as required completing the duties of the post
- Assist manufacturing engineering and production teams during manufacturing start
- Must be prepared to travel for short periods of time to support all projects, this includes international travel
- Strong technical background with focus on project engineering, system engineering and system performance (safety, availability, operability)
- Proven vehicle level experience in the engineering, manufacturing, or maintenance of modern era rolling-stock
- Previous experience of project engineering and management
- Fundamental Safety Awareness gained in a safety critical operational environment.
- Experience of managing and co-ordinating globally distributed, internal and external, engineering service providers
- Flexible and forward thinking, able to lead and operate effectively in a period of organisational expansion
- Experience of working with International companies and across different cultures is preferred, as the position will involve international travel and discussions across cultures and language boundaries
- The ability to work with minimal supervision, setting and achieving clear targets and deliverables, within a tight project support environment is essential
- Experienced in all phases of a project, from bid through design, manufacture, test, acceptance, delivery, operational development
- Demonstrable experience in Quality Systems, including configuration control, change management, integration and V&V activities
- Previous experience in industrial product development and design, preferable within transport
- Knowledge of UK railway is desirable
- Knowledge and understanding of the European and Railway Group Standards and other railway specific engineering standards
- Extensive experience gained from a rolling stock design / operations environment
- Practical experience of test environments and methods for software/hardware testing of control systems
- Degree or equivalently qualified engineer with proven railway experience
- Membership of a recognised accredited engineering body
- Chartered status or evidence of working towards it
- Honest and open behaviour, who rather involve stakeholders in potential risks and issues.
- Structural and analytic thinking with an ability to organise.
- Ability to influence and manage across the project landscape
- Proven leadership experience with strong negotiation skills
- Calm and diplomatic under pressure
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills with demonstrable experience of dealing with customer, supplier and stakeholder bodies
Why Hitachi Rail?
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.
We offer a competitive salary and annual leave entitlement as well as a generous benefits package. This includes a pension scheme with contributions up to 9%, health insurance, and many more perks for you to choose from within a flexible plan that will meet your specific needs and lifestyle.
If you like the sound of the above and feel energised by the idea of joining a great brand at a moment of exciting expansion, please apply now. We look forward to hearing from you!