Job title North Asia Legal Head
Job Scope - Responsibilities
The North Asia legal head is an experienced legal manager to head up the legal function for the North Asia ("NA") region of Hitachi Vantara and to be responsible for all North Asia-related legal work.
In addition to being an excellent lawyer, this person must have the capacity to business partner (and be a go-to person) with the management team and lead NA legal team to provide the support including but not limited to the following:
• Steering and overseeing the North Asia legal function and providing legal support to Hitachi Vantara in connection with its business activities and operations in the North Asia region.
• Preventing and monitoring legal risk (including in relation to litigation and reputational matters).
• Advising business and corporate on any matters having legal implications.
• Drafting and negotiation of IT-related customer contracts (such as sale/purchase and support agreements, equipment leases, software licenses, professional services agreements, loan agreements), and strategic alliance agreements, advice on intellectual property protection, revenue recognition issues, cyber security and privacy protection as well as outsourcing arrangements.
• Providing legal support to Human Resources on relevant employment matters and initiatives.
• Working closely with the compliance staff in the APAC region and senior management within the compliance team to facilitate compliance related initiatives and to deal with compliance issues within the North Asia region.
• Overseeing the corporate secretary work.
• Supporting merger and acquisition or any legal entity/organization change.
• Handling dispute resolution matters, including engaging and working with outside counsel when needed.
• Remaining up to date on emerging legal trends and changes within the region.
• Licensed to practise law in China or a common law jurisdiction.
• 10+ years professional legal experience at an international law firm, top Chinese law firm and/or a corporate legal department within a multinational corporation in China, servicing local and international clients.
• Law degree from a recognized law university or equivalent legal education. Preferably a PRC law degree with an LLM or JD from an overseas law school.
• Experience in supporting complex contract negotiations and in-house projects.
• Demonstrated knowledge within the core legal function, as well as a strong track record of successful business partnering.
• Excellent communication skills in mandarin and English, both verbal and written
• Previous experience in a global technology organisation is preferred.
• In-house experience within different legal jurisdictions within North Asia is preferred.
• Prior experience of leading and managing team is preferred.
• Well organised, adaptable style and a clear thinker
• Impeccable integrity - ethical and honest in all respects
• Understands the need for and embrace change, effectively plan, prepare for and lead change
• Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (verbal and written), organizational and interpersonal skills - communicates with passion and energy, is highly articulate, makes arguments in a compelling manner
• Advanced problem solving, judgement and decision making, i.e. is willing and able to make decisions and be accountable for the results
• Detail-oriented with an insistence on high quality work product
• Team player with a strong business execution focus. This includes:
o "Can do" attitude and ability to handle a wide range of complex matters with minimal supervision, often on a time-sensitive basis;
o Strong internal drive and ability to self-manage in the performance and completion of tasks and project milestones;
o Ability to work effectively with colleagues across the world, primarily by electronic means, including email, webinar, conference calls etc.
• A well developed positive attitude and the emotional maturity to bring perspective and energy to the team.Our Company
Hitachi Vantara is part of the Global Hitachi family. We balance innovation with an open, friendly culture and the backing of a long-established parent company, known for its ethical reputation. We guide customers from what's now to what's next by unlocking the value of their data and applications to solve their digital challenges, achieving outcomes that benefit both business and society.
Our people are our biggest asset, they drive our innovation advantage and we strive to offer a flexible and collaborative workplace where they can thrive. Diversity of thought is welcomed and our employee base is represented by several active Employee Resource Group communities. We offer industry leading benefits packages (flexible working, generous pension and private healthcare) and promote a creative and inclusive culture. If driving real change gives you a sense of pride and you are passionate about powering social good, we'd love to hear from you. Our Values
Research tells us that some applicants, especially those from underrepresented groups, can be put off from applying for roles if they need flexibility or feel they don't meet all of the set criteria. We strive to create an inclusive environment for all and are open to considering home working, compressed/flexible hours and part-time arrangements. Get in touch with us to explore how we might be able to accommodate your specific needs.
We are proud to say we are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all applicants for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. With Japanese roots going back over 100 years, our culture is founded on the values of our parent company expressed as the Hitachi Spirit:
Wa - Harmony, Trust, Respect
Makoto - Sincerity, Fairness, Honesty, Integrity
Kaitakusha-Seishin - Pioneering Spirit, Challenge