We are seeking an experienced Customs Manager to fulfill a key role in the EMEA region, working as part of a global team (4) overseeing the timely and compliant shipping of our enterprise storage hardware to our customers.
The Customs Manager will be a licenced/certified customs broker with a deep knowledge of import/export regulations. Experienced in meeting of compliance and audit requirements for EU and EU to non-EU shipping.
- Liaison with the local Government agencies and Customs on export and import matters.
- Work closely with Corporate Compliance to implement Export Compliance Program.
- Provide on-site representation for export compliance related subject matter to the customs regulation in the countries where Hitachi Vantara is the importer of record for the EMEA Region. Work closely with the EDC manager to support the operations.
- Provide support as required to Sales and Customer Service teams to ensure smooth border crossings. Understands application of Incoterms.
- Hold export compliance and customs audit and oversight program including the EMEA regional locations and subsidiaries.
- Monitor compliance with Hitachi Vantara export laws and regulations through regulatory compliance audits.
- Identify export issues, develop solutions and provide guidance to company on resolving issues to support business objectives while ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations and internal policies.
- Execute export compliance activities such as, product classifications, license determinations with specific emphasis on encryption technology, authorizations, and restricted party screening; monitor the day-to-day transactions associated with these activities.
- Participation in New Product Introduction (NPI) cross functional teams to ensure export product classification activities are completed.
- Ensure company compliance with regulatory and internal policy requirements relating to export licensing, exemption usage and recordkeeping.
- Monitor and review import and export regulations with respect to determination of product classifications; Harmonized Tariff and Export Classification numbers.
- Interacts with and informs (senior) management on the status of various projects and activities.
- Monitor processes monitoring processes / practices related to customers, fiscal representation and customs activities in order to maintain efficiency and achieve acceptable results.
- Give instructions, directions and explanations to employees who will work with new or improved procedures.
- For Countries where Hitachi Vantara is the Importer of record, document, request classification and ensure proper record retention for imports and exports.
- Be the main point of contact for all broker questions in the importing country. Audit and approve all broker invoices. This audit would include the correct fees charges by the broker for their services. Audit the entry to ensure the correct classification, valuation, and country of origin was presented to customs.
- Provide guidance to broker when an error was found. Ensure compliance with the local countries record retention requirements.
- Support for any other Global Customs project.
- Understanding of global trade concepts and regulations. General knowledge of laws, regulations enforced by Customs, export compliancy, customs and tax related aspects.
- Experience with all modes of transportation internationally.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills from both administrative and hands-on standpoints.
- Capable of working individually or as part of a multifunctional team including peers and/or senior managers.
Experience and Education:
- Minimum of three years' experience in an international shipping and international compliance background
- Experience with Export classifications, harmonized tariff classifications, Electronic Export Information filing, Incoterms, Customs directives, customs valuation, country of origin and marking, Free Trade Agreements and Trade Preference Programs, Export Administration Regulations
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Broker License