Are you looking for opportunities to work on high profile rail projects and advanced technology alongside experts from the around the globe? Come and join the fastest growing rail business in the world!
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are working to Inspire the Next – and this is your chance to be part of it.
Your new role
We have an exciting career opportunity for a Train Maintenance Centre Manager based at our North Pole, London location.
This role is responsible for managing and leading all aspects of Train Maintenance Centre operations and technical facilities, including 200+ people, to ensure the daily delivery of a safe and reliable fleet that enhances the customer experience
Specifically, you will be responsible for the following;
- Lead and directly oversee all aspects of TMC operations to ensure the daily delivery of a safe and reliable fleet that enhances the customer experience.
- Deliver operational outputs, ensuring financial targets and contractual obligations are consistently achieved.
- Responsible for budgets and over £18M annual operating costs, including achievement of Under/Over Absorption (UOA) and headcount targets set out in OS&M business plan.
- Lead the TMC management reviews, identifying and rectifying any non-compliance and deviation from plan and budget.
- Ensure compliance to OS&M process and procedures to meet the required standards for both internal and external assurance/audit mechanisms in accordance with industry regulations.
- Develop, deliver and implement the key performance metrics for the TMC in order to drive production and business improvement.
- Lead, manage and develop staff, providing appropriate coaching and mentoring.
- Ensure all aspects of train maintenance including planned exams, defects, investigations, modifications, train presentation and cleaning are delivered to exceed customer expectations.
- Ensure available, reliable and safe units are provided in line with customer dispatch requirements.
- Optimisation of TMC operations and associated maintenance costs.
- Develop and implement maintenance concepts for optimal performance and cost effectiveness.
- Manage all staff rotas, leave, absence and training to ensure Minimum Shift Levels (MSL) are in place at all times.
- Provide technical management and assurance of 3rd party suppliers and contractors.
- Liaise with functions such as Engineering and Supply Chain, as well as suppliers and Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) to identify, allocate, and leverage resources to enable the delivery of production.
- Ensure Lean tools and techniques are applied and industry best practice is implemented.
- Provide visible safety leadership within the TMC in order to achieve industry leading safety performance.
- Anticipate, manage and resolve risks and issues and initiate appropriate corrective action.
- Ensure compliance with the Common Safety Method (CSM) for risk evaluation and assessment and HSE guidance on managing shift work and fatigue.
- Ensure compliance with Railways and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006 (ROGS)
- Ensure compliance with the Vehicle Maintenance Schedule (VMS); Vehicle Maintenance Instructions (VMI) and Vehicle Maintenance Procedures (VMP).
- Ensure compliance with all defect management processes and procedures including repeat defects and deferred work.
Quality & Standards
- Ensure compliance with engineering and quality standards, industry regulations and contractual obligations.
- Ensure all audits are completed in accordance with the schedule, and all NCRs closed and OFIs implemented in accordance with agreed timelines.
Training & Competency
- Ensure the technical competence of staff and compliance with Railway Safety Publication 1 (Nov 2016) in regards to the completion of safety critical work.
- Manage the personal and professional development of all TMC staff including leadership and management.
- Identify, evaluate and understand any capability gaps and put in place training and education to rectify where required.
- A natural senior leader with recognised ability to influence internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent planning and problem solving skills.
- Previous experience of maintenance production planning and execution.
- Strong customer focus and ability to build partnerships.
- Sound knowledge of railway operations, rules, regulations, and previous experience of rolling stock maintenance.
- Experience of Computerised Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS) – SAP, Maximo or Equinox.
- Formal qualifications in mechanical/electrical engineering (degree level) or evidence of working experience equivalent to this level and 5 years of production management experience.
- Safety management qualifications.
- Leadership & management qualifications or equivalent experience.
- Professional registration (or working towards) of engineering institution or Institution of Railway Operators.
- Ability to prioritise and plan effectively and apply judgement and experience to make effective and timely decisions.
- Ability to develop creative and innovative solutions.
- Employ a Continuous Improvement (CI) mind set.
- Ability to collate, analyse and disseminate information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: must have ability to deliver confident and persuasive briefs up to executive level.
- Excellent leadership and ability to influence diverse teams.
Why Hitachi Rail?
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.
We offer a competitive salary and annual leave entitlement as well as a generous benefits package. This includes a pension scheme with contributions up to 9%, health insurance, and many more perks for you to choose from within a flexible plan that will meet your specific needs and lifestyle.
If you like the sound of the above and feel energised by the idea of joining a great brand at a moment of exciting expansion, please apply now. We look forward to hearing from you!