Are you looking for opportunities to work on high profile rail projects and advanced technology alongside experts from the around the globe? Come and join the fastest growing rail business in the world!
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are working to Inspire the Next – and this is your chance to be part of it.
Your new role (18 month Fixed Term Contract)
Working as a critical part of the HR Business Partnering team, the ER Specialist will work closely with the HR team and business management to ensure robust ER policies and processes and progressive industrial relations are managed and maintained.
The role reports into Operation, Service & Maintenance, but is responsible for ensuring that all UK rail divisions maintain alignment and consistency of approach.
This will include regular liaison with Rolling Stock and central area colleagues as well as the provision of technical expertise to these areas and leading on initiatives as required.
The role is home based but with substantial and regular travel around our Train Maintenance Centres nationwide.
ER Specialist responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Acting as the UK lead for industrial relations strategy
- Maintaining and regularly reviewing collective bargaining agreements across all represented locations and ensuring the HR and management team are operating in alignment to the relevant agreements
- Leading on collective consultations and negotiations within OS&M and other areas where requested, providing expert advice to management and other stakeholders
- Ensuring policies and processes are fit for purpose and aligned to business needs whilst maintaining statutory and legislative compliance and good employee relations and engagement
- Providing the lead on any conciliatory or tribunal processes in ensuring relevant stakeholders are engaged and cases managed to conclusion successfully, whilst minimising business and reputational risk
- Leading on Union and consultative committee communications and any formal processes such as dispute proceedings within OS&M and other areas as and when required
- Working closely with HR Advisors and HRBPs to ensure ER cases are managed consistently, ensuring compliance and good employee engagement
- Leading on the provision of upskilling, coaching or mentoring of colleagues or business leaders to support their involvement in employee and industrial relations processes
- Providing final approval on all dismissals within OS&M
- Leading on arranging the provision of mediatory or conciliatory processes where these are deemed necessary
- Supporting OS&M leadership and HRBPs in the Employee Opinion Survey process, ensuring robust and consistent action planning to continuously improve employee engagement levels
- Supporting the administrative function in providing guidance with regard to statutory reporting, including gender pay gap etc
- Acting as an “in team” champion / support on company values and behaviours
- Providing objective challenge to the business, offering pragmatic guidance and advice on employee related matters across the generalist remit in accordance with policy, legislation and HRL people strategies.
- Case management support for complex or particularly sensitive cases on employee relations matters
- Building effective relationships with key internal partners
- Proactively managing the output of any people issues related to key change decisions, delivering in an appropriate and respectful manner either personally or in liaison with HR team colleagues
- Supporting business change and continuous improvement by supporting the delivery of HR initiatives
- Participating in or lead HR Projects for specific HR initiatives connected to our People & Teams Strategy
- Be aware of and actively promote and implement Hitachi’s ethos, culture and values
- Adhere to the Hitachi Rail’s Equal Opportunities Policy
- Comply with and implement Hitachi Rail’s Health and Safety policy
- Undertake any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as may be required
- Stay abreast of industry trends and legislation to ensure we are legally compliant
- Substantial and evidential experience of managing employee relations
- Excellent Employment Law knowledge
- Excellent knowledge of Unions and employee representative committees including collective bargaining mechanisms and relevant statutory and legislative requirements
- Experience in managing the industrial relations strategy and/ or agenda for a large, complex rail/ manufacturing/ automotive industry or similar
- Able to evidence the ability to work on own initiative, managing conflicting priorities and multiple stakeholders
- Ability to communicate in all formats, with clarity and influence at all levels and with multiple stakeholders
- Accuracy and attention to detail, whilst working under pressure
- Proven ability to work with ambiguity and retain strong organisational and multitasking skills
- Ability to find solutions and resolve conflicts
- Experience of successfully operating within a complex matrix organisation
- Degree educated or equivalent experience
- Minimum of working towards CIPD level 5 qualification or equivalent
Why Hitachi Rail?
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.
We offer a competitive salary and annual leave entitlement as well as a generous benefits package. This includes a pension scheme with contributions up to 9%, health insurance, and many more perks for you to choose from within a flexible plan that will meet your specific needs and lifestyle.
If you like the sound of the above and feel energised by the idea of joining a great brand at a moment of exciting expansion, please apply now. We look forward to hearing from you!