Summary of the position:
The Business Development Manager (BDM) is responsible for contributing to the short and long-term success of the company through the development and growth of the Sullair Dealer/Distributor channel to market. Key functions of this role include, but are not limited to, establishing a comprehensive and detailed strategy for identifying dealer prospects and targets, evaluating existing dealer performance and potential, and coordinating any action planning through the Area Sales Managers and Channel Development functions. The BDM will be also be responsible for the implementation and maintenance of respective pricing levels for all dealer levels, with profitable and sustainable growth as the primary objective for success.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Analyze and understand existing and prospective dealer’s current strengths/weaknesses, growth potential, and actions needed to help develop strategies to increase current and new business opportunities.
- Proactively implement and lead a structured dealer management process that identifies key performance indicators (KPI’s), financial targets, and growth objectives for short-term and long-term measurement.
- Create dealer network strategy for Platinum and Independent/ARA dealers with clearly defined pricing levels, service/aftermarket requirements, and level of internal support needed. Communicate strategy and action planning clearly to Area Sales Managers, Channel Development, and other relevant internal resources involved.
- Collaborate closely with respective ASM’s to ensure clarity on defined expectations, roles, and responsibilities related to the management and support of each individual dealer.
- Develop and implement network actions to drive the company sales, share, profit, and customer satisfaction through improved representation of assigned dealers.
- Analyze dealer financial strength, trends, and market opportunities in order to assist with actions to improve financial performance for all Platinum dealers.
- Manage the successful identification, qualification, selection, and establishment of prospective dealers using business and financial management concepts that will enable and assure sales, marketing and financial success.
- Directly responsible for executive management of independent manufacturer rep groups. This includes developing relationships with rep group principals, legal contract/agreement oversight, evaluation of existing/potential rep group partners, and resolution of any/all issues related to contract/agreement compliance.
- Ensure coverage and cooperation of independent manufacturer rep groups, to include implementation of key performance metrics and regular reviews with rep group principals.
- Develop and implement strategic market representation action plans for “under-performing” dealers to assure successful dealer performance in reaching company expectations.
- Identify dealers that are deficient in any area of the Dealer Agreement. Develop, present, and implement plans to correct dealer deficiencies.
- Manage all Dealer Agreement legal requirements and issues, in cooperation with Channel Development, according to established company policies.
- Evaluate competitive dealer representation and changes in market conditions that affect market representation plans. Develop and implement strategies to counteract the competitive concerns.
- Conduct any necessary education and/or training for dealer personnel and ASM’s on business and financial management concepts related to company targets to ensure alignment with company goals.
- Develop and maintain contacts and relationships with influential executives, especially those in executive leadership roles within the Platinum dealer network. Ensure direct and effective business relationships exist with all Platinum dealer principals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business Administration or Engineering.
- Minimum 10 years of innovative sales and marketing experience, dealer/distributor channel management, or sales experience in a business-to-business sales environment. Additional consideration given to candidates with prior knowledge/experience utilizing independent third-party sales entities and/or manufacturer rep groups.
- Experience with Compressed Air or Air Treatment products with a commercial/industrial application is preferred.
- Prior experience and/or extensive knowledge of construction equipment distributor operations, including sales, service, and aftermarket functions and requirements.
- Sound financial knowledge to include ability to comprehend and understand key performance indicators of dealers/distributors, such as profit margins, inventory control, machine/aftermarket pricing, etc.
- Must have an established track record of having created successful sales and marketing programs and strategies.
- Clearly demonstrated ability to lead, facilitate, organize, and motivate multiple teams toward identified goals.
- The business acumen necessary to qualify and prioritize dealers and/or dealer prospects based on revenue potential and other key variables.
- Strong verbal/written communication skills and the ability to both deliver effective management/executive level presentations and effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Outstanding work ethic, high-integrity and team player (builder). Self-motivated, high initiative, self-directed.
- Excellent organizational skills and the discipline necessary to maintain a strong pipeline of prospects.
- Excellent familiarity of North American marketplace as it relates to the compressed air and/or air treatment industry.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and CRM tools.
- Ability to travel 50-75% domestic and international.
- Excellent communication skills a strong desire for serving customers
- Ability to communicate professionally with all levels of the organization
- Ability to work well independently or with a team
The successful candidate is responsible for complying with Sullair’s Code of Ethics and related policies. In performing the job, the incumbent shall take all steps necessary to comply with our safety rules and requirements and must actively support the organization's efforts to meet and exceed its goals of creating and maintaining a safe workplace.
This description is to serve as a guide. It is intended to be flexible and will continue to evolve over time with business needs and demands and may be updated periodically and at the Company's discretion.
Sullair is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or other protected categories under applicable law, whether in recruitment, employment, promotion, transfer, compensation, or other conditions of employment.