Summary of the position:
The Senior R&D Validation Test Engineer is an essential part of R&D team and the continued success of all Sullair products. This role, located in Michigan City, Indiana, is responsible for validation testing of new products, current product improvements, and other product related projects. The successful candidate must be able to work in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects and meet project/program timelines. To be effective, the ideal candidate must be a self-driven strong communicator with a strong electrical/mechanical aptitude, and excellent troubleshooting skills. The candidate must be proficient in using/maintaining data acquisition equipment, testing instrumentation and calibration methods.
Summary of the position:
- Develop validation test plans and test report templates with the Lead Engineers responsible for products originating from New Product Development, Sustaining Engineering, Cost Reduction Teams or other parts of the organization as needed.
- Determine processes, schedules, procedures, calibration methods, and equipment selection for validation. Make recommendations as necessary.
- Coordinate testing with internal departments or outside test labs as needed.
- Identify equipment requirements to conduct each test and coordinate scheduling to ensure the availability of this equipment.
- Effectively work with and provide direction to Test Technicians
- Provide formal test data reports following guidelines established within testing procedures agreed upon by the Lead Engineer and maintain the test report database.
- Working knowledge of safety protocols within environments that include electricity, rotating/moving parts, hot surfaces, air and hydraulic pressurized systems, and chemicals.
- Execute the test and reporting portions of DVP&Rs assigned to R&D.
- Support R&D Technicians to successfully validate equipment or components assigned to the department for review.
- Develop, maintain, and manage R&D/Engineering validation testing standard work.
- Work from wiring diagrams, piping and instrumentation drawings, assembly drawings, sketches, and written instructions to assist the R&D Technicians.
- Review that all recorded test data is accurate, ensure the test setups are documented properly, and confirm the test data is entered into the electronic file storage system(s).
- Troubleshoot issues and recommend solutions. Pursue appropriate support on complex issues.
- Manage inventory of validation machines, product materials, and items within storage areas that come into or leave R&D.
- Adapt new procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet complex requirements of R&D.
- Ensure testing procedures comply with all required industry-specific standards.
- Use experience and judgement to plan and accomplish assigned tasks and goals.
- Develop, improve, and maintain data acquisition equipment (hardware and programming software) used for testing validation machines within the department.
- Support the maintenance and calibration of test instruments and data acquisition equipment.
- Mentor, train, direct, and review the work of other employees.
- Participate in DFEMA development for new engineered products.
- Additional work may be assigned by the R&D Manager to help meet the needs of the department.
- Occasional work outdoors is required.
- Some travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred) in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Technology, or a science-related field.
Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of seven (7) year’s related experience.
- Work experience with rotating equipment; engine and/or electrical driven machinery; compressors and related pneumatic/gas equipment
- Mechanical/electrical aptitude and familiarity with diesel engines, electrical equipment, electronic instruments and hydraulics.
- Working knowledge of pneumatic and electrical control systems.
- Ability to understand wiring schematics and system piping/flow diagrams.
- Familiarity with data-acquisition systems and related software.
- Programming skills are required along with working knowledge of Labview or similar data acquisition programming.
- Strong mechanical aptitude, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Ability to capture and record CAN/MOD bus along with J1939 data.
- Microsoft computer skills macro skills are a plus.
- Highly motivated, hands-on individual.
- Previous experience with data-acquisition systems hardware and related software
- Perform varied and complex tasks under minimal supervision.
- Excellent understanding of industrial and portable compressors.
- Solid organizational skills, detail oriented, act with a sense of urgency.
- Exhibit flexibility in dealing with design changes, work scope, or revised instructions.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, results-oriented, and require little guidance.
- Great interpersonal communication and works collaboratively with others.
The successful candidate is responsible for complying with Hitachi Group Code of Ethics and related policies. In performing the job, the incumbent shall take all steps necessary to comply with our safety rules and requirements and must actively support the organization's efforts to meet and exceed its goals of creating and maintaining a safe workplace.
This description is to serve as a guide. It is intended to be flexible and will continue to evolve over time with business needs and demands and may be updated periodically and at the Company's discretion.
Sullair, a Hitachi Group Company, is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or other protected categories under applicable law, whether in recruitment, employment, promotion, transfer, compensation, or other conditions of employment.