*US residency and working authorization requiredThe Role
The Senior Bid Manager will support department initiatives, functions, and goals associated with the Strategic Bid Management Practice of Hitachi Vantara. These variable tasks will include working with department members in the creation of department processes and policies based on industry standards, best practices, and guidelines developed and endorsed Shipley and Associates, the Association of Proposal Management Professionals (APMP), and the Association for Information and Image Management (AIIM).
The Senior Bid Manager will be expected to exercise highly-skilled competencies relating to mining, validating, maintaining, and use of reusable proposal content. The ability to edit/repurpose collateral originally developed for other purposes into quality reusable proposal content is also required.
The Senior Bid Manager will provide valuable pursuit support and demonstrate strong proposal and capture management process experience. The role requires working closely with client-facing professionals and the ability to provide strategic pursuit guidance, develop compliant proposal structures, outlines, and high-quality final deliverables that meet Hitachi Vantara formatting styles and brand guidelines. The Senior Bid Manager will support proposal industry standards and processes as adapted to fit within the Hitachi Vantara environment, efficiently using and supporting the use of tools and processes developed or endorsed for use by the department. At times the Senior Bid Manager may be expected to provide "just-in-time" training and guidance on proposal processes, best practices, and other department and proposal industry guidelines. The use and support of department recommended/provided/endorsed tools and processes during bid and capture management engagements is required.
All members of the Strategic Bid Management Practice, including the Senior Bid Manager, will be responsible for effectively supporting RFx engagements, working with account teams and other internal resources directly affecting the outcome of assigned pursuits, thereby positively affecting revenue growth of the company. Team members will be expected to become experts in the use of software and systems in use by the department, such as proposal automation and repository solutions, as well as any others currently in place or that are put in place in the future.
The Strategic Bid Management Practice will focus on three aspects of the proposal lifecycle: (1) leading "must-win" opportunities, (2) effective engagement of account teams and other internal resources, and (3) significant contribution to the development and continuous improvement of proposal and capture management processes, tools, and templates.
The Practice will use proven methodologies and best practices to support Hitachi Vantara's business goals, customer acquisition, increase market/wallet share through professional support of proposal-related opportunities. With responsibility across multiple, concurrent projects, this position is characterized by shifting priorities, stringent deadlines, last minute requirements, and successful accomplishment of bid and capture management tasks within non-negotiable client deadlines. The Senior Bid Manager must be capable of handling a large workload with strict deadlines and time demands and must be responsive to changing schedules and project scopes.Candidate Qualifications, Education, Experience
• A minimum of five years' direct bid management experience
• Strong skillset and previous experience in at least two additional standard proposal development disciplines (e.g. technical writer, copy editor, desktop publisher, production manager, proposal specialist, graphics designer, graphics editor, content manager)
• Knowledgeable of business operations, technology, quality assurance, and business communications
• Ability to develop compelling proposals that showcase Hitachi Vantara offerings
• Ability to work closely with others across all organizations within Hitachi Vantara to gather, synthesize, and incorporate information into written proposals and business development presentations
• Excellent writing, editing capabilities; in-depth understanding of editorial practice and quality standards
• Deep understanding of content management protocols, standards, best practices
• Remain up-to-date in regard to proposal/capture management/information governance best practices, trends, and processes and standards developed/endorsed by the APMP, the AIIM, and Shipley and Associates
• Highly skilled in the use of Microsoft® Word, desktop publishing technologies, SharePoint, and Excel
• Bachelor's degree is required; demonstrable related career experience and proven track-record is acceptable
• Current or previous members of APMP strongly preferredResponsibilities
• Assist in the development of quality assurance practices, tools, and templates for the Strategic Bid Management Practice
• Manage the complexity of large bids, with a focus on project management, providing counsel to assist engagement teams on using proven strategies and tactics to improve their success rate in winning business
• Draw on industry expertise, qualifications, and bid industry standards and best practices and related resources while guiding account teams in the development of clear competitive differentiators, win strategies and themes, compelling Executive Summaries, and high-quality proposals and value propositions
• Work closely with account teams and other internal resources as well as fellow Strategic Bid Management Practice members to develop and deliver on-time clear, concise, and accurate proposals
• Effectively facilitate, manage, and support each bid process phase, including Kickoff, Win Strategy development, and Review Teams
• Be able to work with and manage virtual resources and teams
• Adhere to Hitachi Vantara's visual identity and trademark guidelines
• Effectively mine and maintain reusable proposal content
• Follow-up with account teams, solution matter experts, and other resources to capture relevant data, analyze results, and improve outcomes
• Use competitive intelligence and available quantified information regarding competitors' proposals and practicesExpectations
• Assist in developing written guidelines regarding Strategic Bid Management Practice support models, bid management processes, etc.
• Assist in the development of content to be used in the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) manual
• Adhere to department policies and process workflows
• Provide bid management support efforts in adherence with the department's quality support excellence models
• Support content mining, validation, maintaining, and ongoing management processes
• Be recognized by others as a team player and a bid management expert
• Live the Hitachi Vantara Spirit and corporate values
• Demonstrate an understanding of the business development process and customer lifecycle
• Seek regular input and feedback to ensure quality and accuracy of work
• Support processes and initiatives of the Strategic Bid Management Practice to drive continuous improvement
• Articulate the value proposition of Hitachi Vantara's wide breadth of offerings
Senior Bid Manager's Personal Characteristics and Success Factors
• Action/Results Oriented: Holds his/herself accountable. Pursues excellence. Focuses on the outcome of personal and team work; able to manage the process and not vice-versa; is motivated by meeting/exceeding expectations; enjoys working hard and seizing opportunities; pushes self and others for results
• Customer Focused: Concerned for and dedicated to satisfying internal and external customers; works hard to understand customers' needs and able to adjust work style and process accordingly
• Priority Setting: Effectively spends and manages time; able to multi-task, zeroing in on critical tasks, not losing sight of the "big picture"; able to meet project milestones, deadlines, and other expectations on time
• Perseverance: Pursues everything with passion, energy, drive, and a need to deliver the highest quality, compliant, and professional product/outcome; can push through setbacks and is able to adjust mindset and strategies to remain forward focused on successful completion
• Process Management: Manages multiple activities simultaneously; uses resources effectively and efficiently; supports department and company goals
• Ethics and Values: Models Hitachi Vantara's spirit and corporate values during both bad and good times; rewards and reinforces the right values in others; follows the rules; seen as trustworthy, respectful, professional, and not self-serving
• Listening: Attentive and active listener; hears people out; allows others to participate in conversations without dominating; gets the point of what others are saying
• Intellectual Horsepower: Agile learner; bright and intelligent; quick to catch on; deals with concepts and complexities comfortably; enjoys challenges of unfamiliar tasks
• Creativity: Turns new and imaginative ideas into reality; embraces innovation; balances traditional approaches and unconventional concepts with easeOur Company
Hitachi Vantara is part of the Global Hitachi family. We balance innovation with an open, friendly culture and the backing of a long-established parent company, known for its ethical reputation. We guide customers from what's now to what's next by unlocking the value of their data and applications to solve their digital challenges, achieving outcomes that benefit both business and society.
Our people are our biggest asset, they drive our innovation advantage and we strive to offer a flexible and collaborative workplace where they can thrive. Diversity of thought is welcomed and our employee base is represented by several active Employee Resource Group communities. We offer industry leading benefits packages (flexible working, generous pension and private healthcare) and promote a creative and inclusive culture. If driving real change gives you a sense of pride and you are passionate about powering social good, we'd love to hear from you.Our Values
We strive to create an inclusive environment for all and are open to considering home working, compressed/flexible hours and flexible arrangements. Get in touch with us to explore how we might be able to accommodate your specific needs.
We are proud to say we are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all applicants for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. With Japanese roots going back over 100 years, our culture is founded on the values of our parent company expressed as the Hitachi Spirit:
Wa - Harmony, Trust, Respect
Makoto - Sincerity, Fairness, Honesty, Integrity
Kaitakusha-Seishin - Pioneering Spirit, Challenge