Why Waupaca Foundry?
Waupaca Foundry, Inc. is North America's leading supplier of iron castings and has a history of innovation with a legacy of product quality. Waupaca Foundry employs approximately 4,400 people company-wide. Waupaca Foundry is committed to relentless improvement, forward-thinking sustainability initiatives, and providing a reliable experience to the millions who use our castings every day. Our goal is to employ individuals who take pride in their work within a culture of continual innovation. Waupaca Foundry is proud to be an employer of choice for those driven and skilled individuals seeking rewarding careers by producing top quality castings.
You will be right at home at Waupaca Foundry.
Cast Your Own Future. More information is available on our website www.waupacafoundry.com Safety Engineer (Internship)
This internship is for the summer of 2022 ROLE:
This role will be responsible for assisting with safety-related projects and improvements in the entire plant. The focus will be on keeping people free from danger, risk, or injury in the workplace. They inspect equipment, environments and buildings to identify areas that can potentially cause health and safety hazards. Safety engineers stay abreast of new laws and regulations regarding health and safety, and make the appropriate changes for their employer. They also investigate accidents and injuries, and then recommend improvements to safety policies, programs, and equipment. RESPONSIBILITIES/DUTIES:
- Reviewing and inspecting on-site safety conditions.
- Elimination of unsafe practices and conditions.
- Investigating the cases of industrial accidents in order to minimize its recurrence and preparing different accidental reports.
- Spotting hazards and recommending ways to eliminate them.
- Study of the buildings and equipment.
- Recommending changes in layout of the plant. Touring the plant to inspect the safety and fire equipment, facilities, etc. in order to identify and remove the hazards that can threaten people's safety.
- Suggesting ways to fix unsafe structures.
- Analyzing data.
- Assist in drawing up plans. Examine, evaluate, and assist with the different plans, designs, and programs for all existing and any new type of equipment in order to insure that all the applicable safety precautions are being included.
- Respond to Plant Safety Projects/Opportunities as directed by the Safety Manager.
- Supports Maintenance projects and installations.
- Participates in contractor/pre-job/critical pick/excavation and demolition process.
- Utilize industrial processing knowledge, information about chemistry, physics, psychology, safety laws, and industrial health for best results.
- Determining the requirements related to safety devices and device installations, etc.
- Pursuing a Bachelors/Associates degree in Engineering/Safety or equivalent.
- Knowledge of Federal/State OSHA regulations.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs and uses.
- Knowledge of safety laws and management methods.
**NOTE** If you would like to be considered for production employment if an internship is not available, you will have to apply separately when position is available November 2021 on http://www.waupacafoundry.com/en/careers/opportunities
- Good problem-solving skills and creative approach for new ideas.
- Motivation and great attitude.
- Math skills/High level of accuracy.
- Excellent oral, listening, and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and plan effectively.
- Proficiency working with AutoCad and 3D modeling software.
- A high level of computer literacy, including Microsoft Office.
- Customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to present and interact with large groups.
- Ability to work flexible schedules and manage workload independently.
- Be enrolled in post-high school education for the Fall 2022 semester.
- Minimum of 1 completed year in related field (preferred).
- Be considered a full time student (12 credits or more).
- Be 18 years or older.
If selected for consideration, candidates must successfully complete a selection process that includes interviews, reference check/verification, and a pre-employment drug screen. Waupaca Foundry is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.